Siriwan Thai, Cloverly Shopping Center

Toan is being replaced by a Thai restaurant this weekend. Same ownership? Not sure, but their website no longer works.

This is now the home of Siriwan Thai Restaurant. Just opened July 10. Stopped in today and really enjoyed the papaya salad, which was quite spicy, and my wife enjoyed an appetizer called shrimp angels, which were in a nice and flaky crust! Hours Mon-Thur 11-9:30, Fri-Sat 11-10:15, Sun 11:30-9:30. Menu says no MSG. Friendly service!

Menu denotes one star for American spicy, 2 for Thai spicy, and 3 for Thai extra spicy.

New owners? The "no MSG" is the one thing that leads me to hypothesize otherwise.

Defintely did not see anyone connected to the old place. The chef is reported to be a former Nava Thai chef but he did not ring a bell to me. Seemed like son and mom and dad or son and grandma and grand pa running the place. I was the only customer for a 2pm lunch the day I was there.

Found myself nearby and am now eating carryout at my desk. Tom yum is pretty standard. Papaya salad could be crisper but the flavors are right. I'd probably order it extra spicy next time but it's got a decent heat level as Dean said. Was hoping for duck ka prow with the possible Nava connection, but in it's absence, the pork is delicious.

Unfortunately it was completely empty at 1230. Good selection of lunch specials at 7.50 (dine in only). Now I notice they deliver; if their range includes my office I'll be ecstatic.

I have been to Siriwan Thai three times now - two lunches and one dinner. So far i have sampled Spring rolls - very good, fried dumplings - excellent and not seen before, Tomyum Chicken soup - better than most, Drunken noodle - excellent and spicy, Crispy basil duck - wonderful and just the right spice level, Ka Pow - ok but under spiced. Server says until we know you tell us what spice level you want. They were busy at dinner, almost a full house and we came late. Lunchtime crowd is a wee sparse. All in all this is a good place hidden in scenic Cloverly just north of the Safeway. BTW I asked the server if the chef had worked at Nava Thai and he said no.

We had a summer roll which was very ho hum, duck salad and larb. The latter two were both excellent. The larb had a nice smoky edge and a good spiciness. The duck salad was loaded with ginger and again well spiced. Both dishes had a hard to pin down flavor element, different in each case, that raised these dishes well above the ordinary. Where a lot of the salads at Nava Thai seem to have a sameness, these had a differentness that was quite refreshing. We were there at 7pm and there were about 10 folk there.