Saltimbocca

vineguy

Second A La Lucia.

Depending on your location, I have had credible versions at Da Domenico's in Tysons and Zeffirelli's in Herndon. The two are related.

Thanks - I just ended up making it myself and opened a fabulous1997 Brunello for good measure. Both were excellent, and I did not charge me a corkage fee! Best of all, my son thought that it was pretty cool that his dad would spend the time (with him as my Sous) and effort to make his birthday dinner for him. I am a temporary hero... :)

Thanks - I just ended up making it myself and opened a fabulous1997 Brunello for good measure. Both were excellent, and I did not charge me a corkage fee! Best of all, my son thought that it was pretty cool that his dad would spend the time (with him as my Sous) and effort to make his birthday dinner for him. I am a temporary hero... :)

The first time I ever had Saltimbocca was 30 years ago (yes, it was precisely in 1980). It was actually "Chicken Saltimbocca." Is it heretical to make this with anything other than veal?

The first time I ever had Saltimbocca was 30 years ago (yes, it was precisely in 1980). It was actually "Chicken Saltimbocca." Is it heretical to make this with anything other than veal?

Heresy or not, in an excellent example of cognitive dissonance, the Wikipedia article on saltimbocca -- which mentions only veal as an appropriate protein -- uses a picture labeled "Chicken saltimbocca."

Oh, teh interwebz.

It works well with pork cutlets, which is far cheaper. I've read (a long time ago and not that any restaurant on this board does this) that what you think is Saltimbocca with veal, could be pork.

I love the dish and remember a particularly good version at Marra's in South Philly. Cook's Illustrated has an easy recipe using chicken.

It works well with pork cutlets, which is far cheaper. I've read (a long time ago and not that any restaurant on this board does this) that what you think is Saltimbocca with veal, could be pork.

I love the dish and remember a particularly good version at Marra's in South Philly. Cook's Illustrated has an easy recipe using chicken.

Lidia Bastianich has several scallopine recipes for which you can substitute thinly pounded pork cutlets or chicken breast cutlets, so it must not be heretical.

Rose Veal Paupiette à la Richelieu 3.0 edition.

7841072400_26ab181df5_z.jpg

Rose veal paillard wrapped around ground pork seasoned with roasted garlic, rosemary and olive oil-cured tomatoes. Barded with caul fat, my ventrèche and a fatback calotte. Gently roasted with corn, striped roman tomatoes from the garden, lime segments and dutifully basted.

7841369570_334fbf3fc5_z.jpg

Rose Veal Paupiette à la Richelieu 3.0 edition.

7841072400_26ab181df5_z.jpg

Rose veal paillard wrapped around ground pork seasoned with roasted garlic, rosemary and olive oil-cured tomatoes. Barded with caul fat, my ventrèche and a fatback calotte. Gently roasted with corn, striped roman tomatoes from the garden, lime segments and dutifully basted.

7841369570_334fbf3fc5_z.jpg

Oh come ON...