Il Capo di Capitol Hill (Formerly Mi Vecindad), 12th and Penn in Near Southeast - From the Owners of La Plaza, in the Former Pacific Cafe Space - Closed

Mi Vecindad, in the old Pacific Cafe space, opened the other night -- just went by with the dog and noticed lunch service today. According to The Hill is Home's "First Bite"* from opening night, it's the menu from La Plaza up at the top of Penn (same owner) with a Cuban twist. It's a block away so I'll have to try it once I can manage to walk more than half a block without melting into a puddle of goo, which is not a pleasant state in which to consume food.

*Guess the Post doesn't have this trademarked. tongue.gif

La Plaza is one of the low-key pleasures of dining on Capitol Hill. No one will mistake its offerings for great cuisine, but it's such a genial atmosphere and neighborhoody type of place, that one can easily forgive that it usually doesn't rise far above the usual Salvadorean/Mexican fare on the Hill. With that, I was hopeful that Henry's Mi Vecindad would match or exceed La Plaza, but unfortunately, at this early stage it's not there yet. The SO and I decided to try a pair of Cuban pork dishes, rather than the fare that one can already get at La Plaza, but found both disappointing. In both cases, the pork was too dry and tough, though reasonably portioned. Each dish came with a side of plantains--Bob's more of a fritter style, mine simply grilled, and were perhaps the highlight of each plate (which also included vegetable-studded rice and black beans). While I'd be willing to try some of the other Cuban dishes, such as Ropa Vieja and Picadillo, my guess is that its safest to stick with La Plaza's strengths.

Being a young restaurant on a midweek evening, it couldn't match its sibling's livelier and cozier vibe; the space feels more like a sort of gaudy supper club, just waiting for some live music, a bit of dancing, and a bit more sophistication in the menu. But the margaritas are tasty, the complimentary tequila shooters at the end of the meal were a treat, and the host brings some good enthusiasm that suggests they will do fine once they settle in. With a decent-sized bar, they plan to start a happy hour soon, and a grand opening this Saturday, 9/18, at 7 PM will feature free tequila shooters and mariachi bands. This won't be one of the Hill's finest, but could be a fun neighborhood place before too long.

I'd heard that this had closed and become an Italian restaurant but wasn't sure if that was true. Yelp seems to confirm this.

I liked the restaurant but there was hardly ever anyone there. There weren't that many people when the space had a Vietnamese restaurant either. Way back when it was Caffe Italiano it had a good crowd, so perhaps this newest twist will be positive.

ETA: A posting on a neighborhood listserve confirmed that it's the same ownership but a different menu/cuisine.

Edited by Pat
update

OK, this place is now called Il Capo di Capitol Hill, but the only menu posted in the windows is the Mexican/Salvadorean/Cuban one, basically a variation on La Plaza's. What gives? Are they serving both Italian and Mexican?

According to a February 12 post here, the owners have brought back the Mexican menu and are serving both.

Over the weekend someone (who is usually pretty knowledgeable/reliable about neighborhood news) told me that this had closed.  I tried calling their phone number during their advertised lunch service today and there was no answer.

ETA:  I called La Plaza, Henry's restaurant in the 600 block of Penn, and the person answering the phone confirmed that the other restaurant has closed.

This doesn't surprise me at all. It was hardly packing them in when it was Mi Vecindad, which was mediocre at best, even the food that replicated the La Plaza menu. The new Italian/Mexican/Cuban/Salvadorean/whatever manifestation seemed hopelessly confused and half-hearted, and while I hadn't been, every report I heard was not good. I'm sure the fire at Frager's made matters even worse.

What worries me is that my last few meals at the formerly reliable La Plaza have been increasingly weak, the last one pretty bad. I hope Henry can get it together and bring it back to where it used to be--or better.

It's not only closed, the inside is completely gutted. Even the bar on the back wall, which was kind of the focal point of the place, was torn out. I couldn't see inside the kitchen from the doorway window, but I'd have to assume that it was all taken out as well. Whatever becomes of the property, it won't be a simple turnkey restaurant any time soon without some substantial renovation.

One positive: that God-awful plastic banner of a sign on the top of the building was taken down, and I finally got to see the older perhaps original sign hidden underneath. On a black wooden background it looks like hand-painted red lettering that says "Caffe Bar." It would have added some character to the place if it hadn't been covered up all those years.

One positive: that God-awful plastic banner of a sign on the top of the building was taken down, and I finally got to see the older perhaps original sign hidden underneath. On a black wooden background it looks like hand-painted red lettering that says "Caffe Bar." It would have added some character to the place if it hadn't been covered up all those years.

Unless it's a very old sign, perhaps that dates to when the space housed Caffe Italiano ca. the late 1980s-early 90s?  That's the only restaurant that's been in that space which I patronized with any regularity, but I can't recall now exactly what years it was open.  There was another one in (?) Cleveland Park.

I wonder if plans for the new Frager's could involve taking over that whole block.  I'll content myself with that wildly speculative thought for now <_< .

I wonder if plans for the new Frager's could involve taking over that whole block.  I'll content myself with that wildly speculative thought for now <_< .

That would be cool. I'd rather see hardware than gastronomy in that space. (But who knows? If Ninella can do as well as it apparently is, perhaps the curse can be lifted.)

Well-deserved, Pat. Prepare for other publications to entirely ignore you.

Point taken, but I suspect this was picked up from the email excerpted below that Frager's sent it's customers announcing the new paint store on Tuesday.

Date: Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Subject: Update from Frager's Hardware

To:

As a valued customer of Frager's Hardware, we wanted to thank you for your patronage and share the latest news on our rebuilding journey.

For all of us, June 5th's devastating fire dramatically altered our lives and business as usual was no longer possible.  In the days since, we have opened a variety of avenues to meet customer needs.

Coming Soon!  Paint has signed a lease and is setting up shop at 1123 Pennsylvania Ave SE.  You'll find updates on our progress on Facebook and our website www.fragersdc.com.We are still working on a larger temporary location to house all departments under one roof and hope to have something in place this Fall. Our intent is to rebuild, but we are still in the early phases of clean-up.

Point taken, but I suspect this was picked up from the email excerpted below that Frager's sent it's customers announcing the new paint store on Tuesday.  

Nope, and I wasn't expecting any recognition (beyond my facetious bow).  It was just a lucky guess, and a hopeful one.  I like Frager's but am not a super regular customer and am not on their email list. The first thing I saw about it was the link I posted, which I saw this morning.  I can hardly be the only person who was wondering about that, given how much of the block Frager's already controlled.  It's also not clear if this is only a temporary lease or is going to lead to something more permanent, which was my speculative hope.

Nope, and I wasn't expecting any recognition (beyond my facetious bow).  It was just a lucky guess, and a hopeful one.  I like Frager's but am not a super regular customer and am not on their email list. The first thing I saw about it was the link I posted, which I saw this morning.  I can hardly be the only person who was wondering about that, given how much of the block Frager's already controlled.  It's also not clear if this is only a temporary lease or is going to lead to something more permanent, which was my speculative hope.

You also beat the email by two hours. :)

I wasn't suggesting that's where you came up with it, rather that the neighborhood blog that has been reporting heavily on Frager's post-fire was more likely to have picked it up from the note that Frager's sent to their list.

Anyway, It was a good guess and I wondered / hoped the same when I saw that space might be available.  Fingers crossed, we'll see the rest of their hardward store services available again soon.  I know my house is suffering from lack of upkeep and repair in the meantime.