Fresh Mozzarella

schulju

Spent the weekend in Long Island and had lunch at Grimaldi's. I've seen the arguments on both sides as to how Grimaldi's stacks up to other NY pizza parlors, but it definitely took the edge off of the pizza jones I've been on for a while. As good as the pizza was, the very simple chopped salad was phenomenal. The salad was exceedingly fresh, and was topped with a ton of fresh mozzarella and I'm wondering if there's any place to purchase really good FRESH mozzarella like that around here. The stuff at the grocery store, even the stuff that you can buy packed in water these days, has more in common with silly putty than with the cheese I had this weekend.

Spent the weekend in Long Island and had lunch at Grimaldi's. I've seen the arguments on both sides as to how Grimaldi's stacks up to other NY pizza parlors, but it definitely took the edge off of the pizza jones I've been on for a while. As good as the pizza was, the very simple chopped salad was phenomenal. The salad was exceedingly fresh, and was topped with a ton of fresh mozzarella and I'm wondering if there's any place to purchase really good FRESH mozzarella like that around here. The stuff at the grocery store, even the stuff that you can buy packed in water these days, has more in common with silly putty than with the cheese I had this weekend.

Blue Ridge Dairy makes excellent fresh mozzarella, and they're at multiple farmers markets around the region. Costco sells a particularly good brand of Mozzarella di Buffalo from Italy. I'd also try Vace, The Italian store and A. Litteri's.

Or, of course, make your own :) *

*New England Cheesemaking Co.

Costco sells a particularly good brand of Mozzarella di Buffalo from Italy.

They have it back in stock again. Recently, someone (Zora?) was lamenting the fact that Costco at Pentagpn City didn't have any, but they have restocked.

Blue Ridge Dairy makes excellent fresh mozzarella, and they're at multiple farmers markets around the region. Costco sells a particularly good brand of Mozzarella di Buffalo from Italy. I'd also try Vace, The Italian store and A. Litteri's.

Or, of course, make your own :) *

*New England Cheesemaking Co.

I second the Mozzarella di Buffalo at Costco is really good at a very reasonable price (in a clear plastic bucket). Vace's sells two types of fresh mozz- one from buffalo milk and one from cow's milk that they make in house. Their housemade mozz is the better of the two.