Rodman's, Three Area Locations

Anna Blume

Regarding the item mentioned in Mrs. B's inaugural post: the same bargain was offered by the same store last year in October or November.

Rodman's sold out so quickly that they stocked up around Christmas time. I got a choice of two remaining as a present to myself.

It says Made in France inside the lid (?) but not Staub anywhere else. Nor, at that price, does it have the stylagtites (sorry no time to check spelling or verify t or m's) inside the lid that distinguish Staub from other (less costly) brands; they're there to help the vapor drip down again into your braise.

Some of the enamel on the lid has chipped off a wee bit during the year. The golden yellow has darkened after a few rounds of Minimalist no-knead bread.

Yet, as the first enameled Dutch oven type thing I've ever owned, it is a dear, dear possession and more than worth forty bucks. Can't believe I ever lived without it.

P.S. 1) Check the BASEMENT area of the DC Rodman's for housewares. 2) A quirky store, not always a bargain, but I've been amazed by some of the things I've found there and nowhere else, such as Orange Blossom Water (the Middle Eastern vs. French version, but very inexpensive and more than adequate).

I love Rodman's. So many Middle Eastern things I don't see elsewhere in D.C. Bags of wheat kernels, for example.

There's a whole shelf of Eastern European/Slavic sausages, Hungarian slab bacon.... Anyone here familiar with these products?

Rodman's DC store is great. By virtue of its location, it has customers from all over the world, and carries South African products, British, Middle Eastern, Russian, Brazilian, Argentinian and Colombian, Mexican, Spanish, lots of Italian stuff--mostly canned and packaged goods that are hard to find anywhere else. And they also have that small refrigerated section of Polish and Hungarian sausages and smoked meats. Did you see the Italian butter? There is a great selection of teas, in with the British Isles goods, more in the Middle Eastern section, and even more in its own section, next to the coffee. They have a large selection of beer and their wine department sometimes serves up some interesting bottles from France Spain and Italy--plus they have lots of South American wines, Portugese, Eastern European, South African and Greek, which can make for interesting browsing--though I have to say that the wine aisles are very cramped and on a busy day, fuggedabout it.

Seen at Rodman's today: Goya brand canned huitlacoche. This is a very unusual sighting--the last time I saw this on a store shelf was at least two years ago at the Culmore Latin market. It's not cheap at $4.99 for a small can, but this is just about the only way to get huitlacoche. It's been a couple of years since I've been able to get any fresh from New Morning during corn season. Canned is not bad at all.

Since travel is so restricted and they have lots of nice prepared food, Rodman's is a bit of a vacation spot for me!  I only go during the week, so I cannot say how well it works for a COVID comfort zone on the weekend.  I get Ethiopian bean dishes, Indian dishes, sometimes some sausages, ready to make spatzle, .  Wine.  There is so much you can get done there, produce is a bit sparse.  I usually get a bit giddy in that space.