Uptown Deli, Downtown Bethesda - Owner Howard Wasserman on Norfolk and St. Elmo Ave. - Closed

Uptown Deli is Bethesda's first authentic Jewish New York Style deli. We are committed to bring you the finest foods and service available. We prepare fresh food every day including cooking our own corned beef, brisket,t urkey breast, chicken soup, salads, and other fine delicacies. Some of our products are brought in from NYC including our smoked fish,cheesecake and bialies to name a few. We are open for breakfast and lunch and provide all kinds of catering services. We will go out of our way to please you. We are located at the corner of Norfolk Ave and St. Elmo Ave in downtown Bethesda. There are nearby parking garages available within a block's walk as well as on street metered parking. Our complete menu is available for takeout. Most menu items can be prepared to special dietary needs. Ess and Enjoy!

We are waiting for our use and occupancy permit from Montg. County. We can't wait to service everyone.

Howard "the Deli Maven" (Email me)

post-7807-001619200 1283960730_thumb.jpg

I walked by that place yesterday. The menu is the only thing up. The place looks far from finished. How could they possibly do catering from that location? Not possible.

It's possible to get health permits in place to have your kitchen operating before you have occupancy permits to have customers.

Also, they might have some off-site kitchen facilities.

OK, so normal disclaimer: today's lunch was during the soft-opening, so no doubt some kinks will be worked out, some things changed, and of course lunch was free.

First impressions: looks exactly as expected. Menu on the wall; cooler with Dr. Brown's and other sodas; bakery case with rugulach and black-and-white cookies; photos of NY deli landmarks on the walls in the dining room. Counter is in the front; off to the side, there's seating for maybe 40? Not a huge place.

Today, it was counter order and pickup. Not sure if they'll be offering table service or not. One thing for certain: they need speakers. The places was maybe 25% full, and in the dining room you couldn't hear the orders being called from the counter.

The menu is typical NY deli. Bagels, fish and fixings; eggs and other breakfast specials (all day? not clear); deli sandwiches and sides such as knishes and latkes; some salads and soups including matzo ball.

I had a Howard's Delight - "hot steamed pastrami, chopped liver, creamy cole slaw, and russian dressing on crispy rye bread." Overall impression was very good - the ratios of the ingredients were spot-on. Mostly pastrami, with enough liver to add richness, and just enough slaw and dressing to add a little kick and texture. Pastrami was flavorful and cut well with a good amount of fat, but the crust could have been more aggressively spiced. The misses - sandwich had cooled off by the time it got to my table, "crispy" rye bread apparently equals toasted, which I don't like, and the pickle on the side was mediocre. The small tub of potato salad had a good flavor, but needed salt and pepper. Not a NY-size portion, but at a menu price of $9, a very good price, especially considering the Bethesda address.

Official opening is tomorrow - I predict long lines and great success. Will certainly get back there soon.

Finally got around to eating there...a good pastrami sandwich has been on my DC wish list for a while now.

I ordered a hot pastrami on rye with deli mustard, and a bowl of the chicken noodle soup.

The pastrami was served on toasted rye for some reason...didn't care enough to get it switched out.

Nice amount of pastrami, good fat to meat ratio, but it was way, way too salty.,,,overwhelmed any other flavor that may have been there. I hope I'm not the only one that's noted this...hopefully they'll adjust the spices.

The soup was fine, with lots of chicken...but nothing exciting.

The bakery goods were really expensive, and I didn't try any of them.

Pastrami was flavorful and cut well with a good amount of fat, but the crust could have been more aggressively spiced.

How did the pastrami compare with Brooklyn Deli? Also, do you know if either are offering sliced meats by the pound? (I will never admit to my apostatical way of enjoying pastrami – trust me it, it too grotesque to share…)

How did the pastrami compare with Brooklyn Deli? Also, do you know if either are offering sliced meats by the pound? (I will never admit to my apostatical way of enjoying pastrami – trust me it, it too grotesque to share…)

Both Uptown and Brooklyn's sell deli meats by the pound for takeout, as well as full catering services.

Years ago, when we were first married, my wife and I were in NYC at the 2nd Ave Deli.

Waitress comes by, asks my wife what she wants. "Corned beef sandwich, please. On white bread."

The waitress pauses, puts the pad down, and says "oh, honey, you don't want to ruin your corned beef that way. I can't get you rye? Or Pumpernickel? Maybe an onion roll?"

Nope. White bread was what she wanted, and white bread, with objections, was what she got.

I can't imagine you could be proposing worse...

Odd that there haven't been any other posts in this topic.

I slip in for lunch every now and then when I'm in Bethesda, and it's a good option for the area. Today I had "Jets and the Mets" - twin corned beef and pastrami sandwiches on onion rolls. The rolls were outstanding, the pastrami also excellent with a decent amount of fat. The corned beef was a little lean for my taste, but still good. Same mediocre pickles from the soft opening. For $9, this was more than enough food for lunch. Nevertheless, I ordered a knish, but I still can't get into them here - I grew up with baked, and these are deep fried. Just not my style.

A solid lunch choice for the "triangle" area of downtown Bethesda.

Goyishe, bubbeleh, goyishe ... and no worries, we loves ya anyways.

(Then again: cold pastrami on worse than white bread? The mind boggles.)

With lettuce and mayo.

We ate a shitload of pastrami as kids (in addition to various other deli meats like the New England favorite roll beef; I'm surprised my cholesterol is "only" borderline), almost always cold since we took it for lunch, but never on white bread. Dear lord. :mellow:

Jeez. so hard to keep reasonable deli's in this area. In fact they are a vanishing breed in general imho.

"Reasonable" might have made it. Uptown wasn't even that good...I love good deli, and I gave up here after three weak meals.

Glad that Handii is surviving though.

"Reasonable" might have made it. Uptown wasn't even that good...I love good deli, and I gave up here after three weak meals.

Glad that Handii is surviving though.

Must admit, tried it just once. Enjoyed it. Just didn't get to Bethesda enough to try it more times.

Went there today. Food was good, Still counter only and take out. Interesting concept for a deli. Definitely not the deli experience and atmospherics rate on the low scale. Place was fairly empty. Take out business seemed to be busier. Not sure how this survives in the long run in Bethesda.

Not a surprise. I don't think this is a reflection on the market attraction for a deli. Merely that the folks who have tried in Bethesda have not had well thought out business plans. I think the planned deli in Dupont sounds like they may actually be doing it right.