Food Wine & Co., Wisconsin Avenue in Bethesda - Chef Sam Henderson Steps In For Michael Harr - Closed

Well, let's see here. We sat at the bar and ordered drinks, a few oysters, and some sandwiches. The beer list looked like about a dozen on tap - I had a DeKoninck Ale and a Troegs (forgot which), and I remember some Flying Dog, some Starr Hill, an Allagash, and a few other Belgians. The wine list looked interesting but not as available by the glass; it looked like they had one each of a pinot noir, a zin, a cab, a chard, and a grigio and that's it. Everything else by the bottle. I decided it was a beer night. (Apparently the ownership of FW&C owns Cork 57 a few blocks away.)

Oysters: Malpeque and Tatamagouche, available in half dozen increments. I didn't ask if they were planning on adding any more, but I hope so. Served with a vinegar trio, but no horseradish and cocktail sauce. I offered to our server that they may want to reconsider that.

Sandwiches: braised pork belly for me, deep fried Atlantic cod for her. Served with fries, home-pickled dill wedge, and slaw with hers - pretty tasty, fresh cabbage, not vinegary. Both of the sandwich fillings were good - the pork came in a sweet barbecue sauce, and the cod with a tartar, but the rustic bread (homemade, so we were told) swallowed the fillings whole. It was good bread with a nice crust, but just too much. We picked the insides out. I feel the pork could have been braised a little longer - it was tender, but not falling apart so. I don't get pork belly much, so I could be way off base here.

Other things we saw: big bowl of corn soup looked good. The guy next to us sent his oysters back, but appeared to enjoy his crabcake. They serve a big selection of La Quercia products as a charcuterie plate, and there's six different cheeses on the menu - but the best thing is that they built the charc and cheese stations into the bar seating area, so you can pull up a stool and just start pointing. That will be the next trip. They're also in the mussels game, 6 or 8 different preps. Menu also listed pizzas, and a short list of entrees - 28 oz. steak, and a few other things.

Layout: it's huge. Sure, it's the old Uno space, but now there's a 2nd level. It's nicely outfitted; it feels classic without trying too hard. Mostly browns and wrought iron on the walls, and the main bar (custom) is a beautiful light maple color. It feels brighter and airier than Uno's ever did, which is nice.

Head scratchers:

- no cocktail sauce for oysters, really? Malpeques are just condiment delivery vehicles. The three vinaigrettes was odd, since none was particularly distinguishable.

- all the wines by the glass were $13 to $15. I must be getting stingy in my old age, but my opinion is that a $13 glass of wine in Bethesda better make my eyes roll back in my head. Beers were $9. Just seems like a lot to me.

- the sandwich bread thing (hey, I went running today. Have to lay off the extra restaurant bread.)

- spelling mistakes on the menu. I'm not talking one or two - there were a dozen. "Dekoick", "Malpec", "Star Hill", "Proscutto" ... I mean seriously.

I know this makes me look like I have a bug up my intestinal tract, but I like to see people do well, and when you miss something like this, sometimes it's the details that break you. If you're going to get hurt, at least let the wounds not be self-inflicted.

We'll go back - probably give them a month to iron out their stuff. It's tough to read into how a place is going to turn out on Day Two; I remember we went to some restaurant in Arlington the first week it was open; the food was good but the waitress hosed all our orders and was less visible than Fidel Castro ... it was this joint, and they landed fine.

Cheers! - R

I was there yesterday for lunch, Rockcreek did a nice job describing the place. I know I am cheap frugal, but for lunch, I felt the place was a bit on the high dollar side and the menu priced close to the Mussel Bar. I had the traditional mussels, which were pretty good, but about on par with other resturants. The space is huge, and I wonder how it will do a block away from the rest of the action. There was a lot of staff on site as well.

http://www.foodwineandco.com/

Eight of us went there last night for an early dinner. When we sat down at 5:30 PM, the place was empty, but when we left at 7:30 PM, most of the tables in the main dining area were occupied. Glad to see that they are doing a brisk business. My guess is that the space hits a lot of peaks and valleys based on the movie theater schedule next door.

Our bartender, Erin, was wonderful. Our waiter, not sure of his name, was inattentive and unhelpful. In fact, he was pretty awful, which is sad because he completely cancelled out the great service that we got at the bar.

We liked the wine list, we ordered bottles only, so I can't comment on the lack of options by the glass. Beer list was labeled a success by the only beer drinker at the table.

Food was a mixed bag. We have a pepperoni pizza at the bar which does not compete with the pizza havens in our area, but was very solid for a restaurant that does not specialize in it. The ribs we shared as an entree were good as well, but the cole slaw that accompanied it was devoid of flavor. The caesar salad, however, was almost criminal. It was $11, not much bigger than a side salad portion, and consisted of romaine lettuce and some pretty awful dressing. Listen, I don't expect much from a caesar salad, which is likely why we never order them, but this must have cost them 50 cents and, to be honest, made me pretty furious. We had no dessert, but the dessert list was pretty boring - cheesecake, chocolate cake, apple tart, lemon tart.

We live in Fairfax and we maybe go to Bethesda a few times a year. I would stop by Food Wine & Co. again to sit at the bar. We liked the space, the drinks prices were reasonable and the more casual options (pizza, burgers, sandwiches) seem like the way to go. I don't know much about the Bethesda dining scene, but my guess is that this place can be successful with a few changes here and there, not a bad start.

So much for Carole Greenwood departing DC (for NYC, wasn't it?): Carole Greenwood Named as Food, Wine & Co. Executive Chef

This is pretty big news that got buried in the "Dining in Bethesda" thread. Just thought it should be highlighted in the appropriate thread (which was not very easy to find).

I look forward to trying it once she gets settled in!

So much for Carole Greenwood departing DC (for NYC, wasn't it?): Carole Greenwood Named as Food, Wine & Co. Executive Chef

Well, that was fast. According to Kliman's chat today, she's already left...

...Food Wine and Co. (7272 Wisconsin Ave., Bethesda; 301-652-8008) is the kind of place you love when you walk in, enjoy after 30 minutes, tolerate after 45, resent after an hour, and hate by the time you get the bill.

I found myself wondering, on a recent visit, why Carole Greenwood, a talented and demanding chef who simultaneously charmed and alienated diners at Buck's Fishing and Camping and her eponymous Greenwood, would have returned to the DC area to cook at a place as impersonal and bustling as this. As it turned out, Greenwood, who took the job January 18, must have found herself wondering the same thing, because she's apparently left.

I just saw a tiny blurb in this week's City Paper, at least online in the Young & Hungry section. Carole Greenwood was booted after two days at Bethesda's Foods, Wine, & Company. The owner said she just wasn't a good fit. I remember when she was in Cleveland Park, I had a friend who would help organize Cleveland Park Day and get the local businesses to part take in activities or donate something. She was the only one who didn't, in that whole block from Porter to what...Macomb?

I was offered a job at Buck's and I kept coming in for my "first day." After being asked if I could "come back tomorrow" three times in a row, I just said, "screw it." She said she wasn't ready to show me the ropes. That doesn't show a lot of organizational skills. Not too long after that she got booted from Comet Ping Pong and Bucks. I found Bucks to be way over priced. A few friends of mine who had eaten there were scolded by Greenwood when they sent their dishes back. I'm not trying to bad mouth her, okay maybe I am a little, but she is just not a very nice person. I have a big problem when people do not act professional, and it seems to happen a lot in the industry, egos get in the way, a people with short tempers try to make you feel really small. I find the shorter the chef, the worse their temper is. I got yelled at alot, I'm 6'3. :)

Here's the article from Bethesda Magazine http://www.bethesdamagazine.com/Blogs/Table-Talk/January-February-2011/Another-One-Down-at-Food-Wine-amp-Co-Carole-Greenwood-is-Out/

Has anyone been recently who can comment on the food? Who replaced Greenwood? Thinking about a lunch there next week which would be a first visit. Merci

Er, or I could just read Rock's subtitle and then do a quick search to answer my own question about who

So just the one question then--has anyone been since February? Any reports? Muchas gracias.

Er, or I could just read Rock's subtitle and then do a quick search to answer my own question about who

So just the one question then--has anyone been since February? Any reports? Muchas gracias.

TS reviewed it a couple of weeks ago and gave it two stars.

My wife and I have been in for dinner twice in the past couple months and have enjoyed everything we've had (and we are admitted food snobs). We've also gone on Monday nights, so it says a lot when restaurants run smoothly on Mondays.(certainly not the same case for where we went this past monday). You should go check it out.

Finally made it in yesterday for lunch. I give it an "ok" but will go back to give it a fairer shake for dinner.

Venue

Pros: Beautiful, light, nice indoor and outdoor spaces, comfortable well-designed seating (booths are perfect for 2-4 people casual or more formal occasion)

Cons: Expensive. I always get nervous about restaurants that spend a lot on their build and take on big rent given the location. Puts real burden on the menu and service to hit homers rather than doubles. Per the below, some worry they're going for singles. Line drive singles maybe but still singles. (apologies to non-baseball-fan rockwellians)

Service

Very good. I was in after the lunch rush so not very busy but I liked especially that the wait staff i) collaborated with each other!, ii) were attentive without being intrusive and iii) knew something about the menu and food in response to questions.

Food

Mixed or OK. Again, not a totally fair test since just lunch and I will go back for a dinner. But, while I liked what I had, nothing was particularly different or better from other restaurants nor is it a better value.

- ($7) Soup of the Day was a roast mushroom. Had a bit of foamed "creme" on top which would have been entirely fine not being foamed. The soup itself had good mushroom flavor and wasn't too heavy.

- ($15) Soft shell crab sandwich special. Just okay. No real complaints but nothing stood out. Deep fried (slight pref for pan fry when the product is great and very fresh) on a pedestrian bun with some lettuce, tomato and tartar called something else (the wait staff are kind enough to translate). Served with decent slaw and very ordinary greens dressed a bit too creatively (a "citrus vanilla" vinaigrette).

Bottom Line/Value

$22 for lunch without a drink isn't crazy but it's also not something to shout about on the value scale. Pricing is very similar to other higher-end restaurants but the challenge is the food may be also. I have a tough time so far seeing how F&W really differentiates itself in a crowded marketplace. When I think about the area's best restaurants, they all tend to do something different from the norm and then do it very well/better than others. For F&W, maybe a bit less focus on distracting 'experimentation' like foams and vanilla salad dressings? More focus on truly great ingredients (and tell us about provenance!) and letting them really shine through? Maybe even a few dishes that aren't on so many other menus. Thinking here a few things one might use to fill in this blank: "Oh yeah, for the best ____, definitely Food & Wine."

But, again, just a lunch so will go back and then form a better view.

We were Food Wine & Co (FWC) enthusiasts for awhile until we learned that their food is just pretty good and not anything to get excited about. We were going to FWC about every 2 weeks until we learned this. Also, despite being frequent diners, do not expect to get a booth for two people after about 5:15 PM.

I do not plan to return to FWC. Why?

Recently, I made a rezzie via Opentable. Even though I clearly announced our reservation when we arrived, OT notiified us that we were no-shows. I objected to the "no show" classification and OT gave us credit.

I emailed Food Wine, with a pdf of the credit card receipt. The disputed incident occurred on April 15 (documented with a pdf of the credit card receipt).

Food Wine & Co has not responded, acknowledging their mistake, despite my producing proof that we showed.

In a follow up emai to FWC, I said I would report this on DR.com so I don't want to hear any whining from FWC.

We were Food Wine & Co (FWC) enthusiasts for awhile until we learned that their food is just pretty good and not anything to get excited about. We were going to FWC about every 2 weeks until we learned this. Also, despite being frequent diners, do not expect to get a booth for two people after about 5:15 PM.

I do not plan to return to FWC. Why?

Recently, I made a rezzie via Opentable. Even though I clearly announced our reservation when we arrived, OT notiified us that we were no-shows. I objected to the "no show" classification and OT gave us credit.

I emailed Food Wine, with a pdf of the credit card receipt. The disputed incident occurred on April 15 (documented with a pdf of the credit card receipt).

Food Wine & Co has not responded, acknowledging their mistake, despite my producing proof that we showed.

In a follow up emai to FWC, I said I would report this on DR.com so I don't want to hear any whining from FWC.

Wow, this sounds a bit bitter. You were going every two weeks and then suddenly realized that it wasn't as good as you thought? Can you expand on this a bit?

Obviously they should have responded to your e-mail, but OT fixed the problem...it's not like they've overcharged your credit card and you're out of money or something.

Sorry...if you don't like the place very much, that's cool...it just sounds like there's more to your anger than you're describing here.

Wow, this sounds a bit bitter. You were going every two weeks and then suddenly realized that it wasn't as good as you thought? Can you expand on this a bit?

Obviously they should have responded to your e-mail, but OT fixed the problem...it's not like they've overcharged your credit card and you're out of money or something.

Sorry...if you don't like the place very much, that's cool...it just sounds like there's more to your anger than you're describing here.

As any DR knows, food in Bethesda is not that great. We were initially very hopeful that this would be a place to regularly frequent. As we ate through the menu, especially the pizzas, we learned that the food is good but nothing great.

My "bitterness" pertains to why they did not respond to an email (sent 17 April) which clearly documented that they were wrong. Since FWC decided not to respond, this is my only recourse so let the record show that someone who has eaten there at least 10 times over the past year (again, we slowed down our visits after awhile), did not even get a response to a valid complaint.

As any DR knows, food in Bethesda is not that great.

From the DR.com dining guide:

North Bethesda:

Passage To India, Grapeseed, Tragara, Black's Bar and Kitchen , Freddy's Lobster and Clams, Faryab

South Bethesda:

Praline, Redwood , Saveur India, Mussel Bar, Shangri-La, Newton's Table

Multiple locations:

Saint Michel Bakery, Georgetown Cupcake, Taylor Gourmet, Dolcezza, Cava, Burger Joint, Jaleo,

From the DR.com dining guide:

Now, now...everyone's entitled but it's not the OP's fault that Bethesda garnered this reputation that you know is the stereotype.... Of course, Bethesda's trying to redeem itself!

Back on topic - I find that restaurants are notoriously bad about responding to emails, but better responding by telephone. @mojoman - did you at least try to call this place? It sounds like this is definitely OT's problem and maybe, just maybe, FWC saw that OT corrected it and didn't see any issue with responding? I'm glad you got to vent here, but perhaps give it one last chance? Especially when OT's known to have software issues like not registering reservations, even when the party shows?

Not to be argumentative or anything, but if Opentable gave you the credit (which you deserved), is it really worth dumping the restaurant because they haven't responded to an email where all you're doing in said email is proving to them that they made a minor mistake. You were sat, right? You ate and didn't have any problems until you realized that OT didn't give you points, and when you pointed it out to OT, it was resolved. Sure it might be nice if FWC responded to any emails they get, but if Opentable isn't making you go through FWC for the proof that you were there, I don't quite get how the punishment fits the crime.

I guess the non-response set me off because we have received marginal service from FWC in the past.

First, their booth reservation policy, which I can respect to a certain extent.

On the visit that was the impetus for my post, the server was disinterested. Perhaps not coincidentally, the server was also the person who "greeted" us and, as far as I could tell, did not properly record our visit, despite the fact that I told her that we had a OT rezzie.

We made a reservation for yesterday evening for after going to an afternoon movie at Bethesda Row. Not realizing how little time it would take to walk to the restaurant from the movie, we were early but they had no problem seating us even though the bar was very crowded.

Two things stand out about Food and Wine Company. First, the wine list. Extensive, very well priced and full of interesting wines. Someone has taken the time to put together a very nice list that has the whole range of types and prices. Whether you want a Justin Paso Robles Cabernet or a 2000 Gaja Barbaresco there several choices that will fit any taste and price range. Second, these folks take themselves seriously about the food, but not too seriously about the atmosphere. An open kitchen that was obviously well run, and managers in suit coats with jeans.

Dinner began with a half dozen Virginia oysters on the half shell for me, 3 Rappahannocks and 3 Old Salts. Well presented with a very nice mignonette and a cocktail sauce I never got to because the oysters were so good on their own. My wife had the fried baby artichokes, served with a sauce gribiche. They were a little salty for her taste, but I notice she didn't have a problem finishing them.

For our main course my wife had the Crispy Tuna Salad. Slices of wonderfully cooked tuna, just crisped with a light breading and perfectly rare in the center, arugula, perfectly cooked medium boiled eggs hare whites, viscus yolks, with a sherry mustard vinaigrette. I ordered the mussels with smokey bacon and caramelized onion with a side of very good frites. We also ordered a side of the Gruyere Mac and Cheese. The mussels were fantastic, large and plump, lots of them, served in a sizzling hot cast iron skillet. The Mac and Cheese is something that every chef should aspire to being able to make. Creamy yet not heavy with just a touch of sherry on the nose. Yum.

Dinner went very well with the 2009 Ornellaia Le Volte that the asst. manager recommended when my first choice was sold out. Dark fruits and spice on the nose, black cherry and blueberry with a slight hint of rose petals on the palate. Well structured with firm tannins and a nice long finish. It definitely needed time to breath but as the evening went on, it opened and was excellent.

Dessert was a trio of Ice Cream sandwiches. Pistachio on a mini brioche, chocolate on two little chocolate chip cookies, and blood orange sorbet on something I can't even describe. Whimiscal and very good.

Service was friendly, efficient, and except for the fact that I had to twice tell our server that I'd pour the wine, very good. This is definitely worth a trip and I will be going back. I've not been too impressed with the places in Bethesda when compared to going downtown, but Food, Wine, and Company is definitely a hit.

Exactly right. Once the initial pour has been done, I will pour the wine for the table. Not everyone drinks at the same pace. My wife has no interest in having her glass "topped off" as it were (nor do I) and once I tell the server to let me pour from now on, I expect the bottle to be left alone. In this case, I had to tell him twice. It wasn't a big deal, just a personal quirk of mine. I recognize that servers are trained to pour whenever they see the glass getting low, but I prefer to do it myself and don't think I should have to remind a good server once I have let my wishes be known.

Hadn't checked this thread in over year since I posted about it two summers ago. I went back once for dinner since that post and thought it decent but more or less consistent with the impression I formed at the lunch about which I'd posted.

@mojoman: sorry you had that many meals to more or less land where I did. I tried :wacko: and +1 on goodeats suggestion on the phone call approach.

@dinwiddle and @cuddlyone: this is one of those self smack to forehead things. had never thought about it but like it. the constant topping off can be annoying though restaurants with serious wine programs tend to be better about asking/sensing table preferences that way maybe. I'd be really curious to get some of the wine experts' views on this. At a restaurant with/without a sommelier and a more serious wine program, is it appropriate or encouraged to ask to handle one's own wine once it's at the table? And how about a white or sparkling wine when it's not on the table but, rather, in a bucket nearby? How do you handle that, dinwiddle? Interesting ideas.

Went here for the first time in the last half of 2013. Decent food, good location (to catch a movie at Bethesda Landmark cinemas), and a nice space. Is it great? No. Is it a solid good? YEs. This seems to be the thing about Bethesda dining - some really solid options, but nothing that makes you stop in your tracks and say 'whoa'.  Not a bad choice for the area, and as dinwiddie mentioned, an interesting wine list.

Went here for the first time in the last half of 2013. Decent food, good location (to catch a movie at Bethesda Landmark cinemas), and a nice space. Is it great? No. Is it a solid good? YEs. This seems to be the thing about Bethesda dining - some really solid options, but nothing that makes you stop in your tracks and say 'whoa'.  Not a bad choice for the area, and as dinwiddie mentioned, an interesting wine list.

I couldn't agree with you more about Bethesda restaurants.  I've eaten here a few times and had good meals.  Based on location, I will be back.  I want to like it a little more than I do, but still it's one of the places I recommend when people ask me about Bethesda dining.  I realize that I've not added much to the conversation, but felt like chiming in!

This week, I got word from two separate inside sources (asking to remain anonymous) that Michael Harr was released from his chef position at Food, Wine & Co.

Today, I see that Harr contacted The Washington Post and said he was "moving on to the next phase of his career after taking a vacation."

Well, regardless of why it happened, or how it happened, suffice it to say that it happened, and that Michael Harr is no longer at the restaurant.

The new chef will be Sam Henderson who comes from Aramark.

The new chef will be Sam Henderson who comes from Aramark.

Who wants to bet that the first Sietsema story of the new chef's tenure includes the phrase "cafeteria food"?*

* I'm not prejudging the chef's cooking, just the writer's penchant for obvious clichés.

Well - the building is getting torn down - so I guess this had to happen sooner or later.  Just sucks to lose a good restaurant option in Bethesda for those of us that live here.  How do the mediocre places do so well while the really good ones struggle?

I work for the non-profit that sold the building last week.  Some of us moved to the new space in temporary quarters since the terms of the sale require reduction in occupancy. My guess is that extended to our tenants as well. The rest of our staff aren't moving until January or February,  so that's the only thing I can come up with.