Broccoli

DanCole42

Make dioramas? React orc fights with them?

Actually, I like pairing it with my mac and cheese. I am a big fan of cream of broccoli soup too.

You might want to do a beef and broccoli pizza? Make calzone with it? Layer it in lasagne? Empanada?

Crab and broccoli casserole? Quiche? Tempura-battered?

Sometimes I make pork and broccoli with, i think, oyster sauce.

I still like a big LOTR broccoli fight though.

Is cream of broccoli soup fun? :( Broccoli with cheese sauce or broccoli-cheese soup?

Other ideas: broccoli-cheese quiche; pasta primavera-type dish; baked potato stuffed with broccoli.

An Amen! to all of these! Broccoli soup is just so easy and versatile. Add potatoes to make a chowder out of it.

For just a bit of a change, try adding chili flakes and chicken stock to sautee/braise it a bit. The heat from the chili adds depth, as does some stock.

Marcella Hazan: cook it to death in red wine w onions, pitted black olives, anchovies and garnish w Parmesan you cut into thin slivers. Recipe's name: broccoli stufati al vino rosso. If you can't find instructions on the web, I'll supply. What the hey. i'll type w 1 hand while on hold. for 1 1/2 # bunch.

florets get separated fr stalks. peel latter + cut em into 1/4 in strips. divide big clusters of former.

Cover bottom of big skillet w thin layer of onion slices. Spread layer of broc stalks over. Dot w few olives, some anchovy bits and few slivers Parm. Sprinkle w itty bitty bit of salt. Moisten w thin stream of olive oil.

Repeat till all used up.

Add red wine (1 cup dry & "sturdy"). Cover. 1 hour med heat, or until wine evap'd. do not stir. promptly serve, do not set aside and reheat.

Blanch and fry florets w coating of bread crumbs (after dipping them in egg.

Butter and Parm instead of garlic and olive oil.

I'm guessing you're looking for side dishes, but if not, I'm also into the chopped, blanched broc added to olive oil, anchovy, garlic, red pepper flakes w macaroni for quick dinner. There's sformato. Chicken divan for a retro treat (your wife needs to wear a wide headband and thick eyeliner). Use blanched broccoli as a simple salad dressed as you will, alone or with half-ripe tomato slices or roasted yellow peppers.

Marcella Hazan: cook it to death in red wine w onions, pitted black olives, anchovies and garnish w Parmesan you cut into thin slivers.

I'm guessing you're looking for side dishes, but if not, I'm also into the chopped, blanched broc added to olive oil, anchovy, garlic, red pepper flakes w macaroni for quick dinner. There's sformato. Chicken divan for a retro treat (your wife needs to wear a wide headband and thick eyeliner). Use blanched broccoli as a simple salad dressed as you will, alone or with half-ripe tomato slices or roasted yellow peppers.

These two remind me of this recipe for "roasted bagna cauda broccoli" -- while it's roasting, melt anchovies into some butter with white wine, lemon, and garlic; toss together; top with parm (I leave the almonds out of this one -- as well as this cauliflower dish with almonds, raisins, breadcrumbs, and capers (that I have actually made with broccoli instead).

Actually, I guess I just love roasting broccoli with anything -- lots of garlic, shallots, whatever -- it gets nutty and has a whole different flavor than it does when sauteed. You can add whatever you like at that point, although it seems that it has a natural affinity for the saltiness/piquancy/umami of anchovies/capers/nuts/cheese.