Purchasing Fresh Pasta To Cook

chef4cook

I love fresh past and really enjoy The paparadelle at Tosca,  they typaically do it with wild boar.  Dario leo used to do a fabulous chocolate tagliatelle with rabbit raguat Goldoni's but it slipped off the menuwhen he left for Georgia.  Another hole in the wall favorite of mine is the fresh past at the Via Veneto in Hooin Hall area of Mt Vernon, their fresh pastas are light as a feather!

I am interested in other peoples experiences with frersh pasta and great authentic italian sauces.

Thanks

I love fresh pasta also and when I make mine I use "tipo oo" flour. I love how light my pasta turns out. I will handcut pappardelle and then I put a bit of a twist on a classic bolognese. I do a duck bolognese and it has always done very well for me. :lol:

chef4cook

I absolutely "second" that! Vace (pronounced Vah-chay) has the best fresh pasta, and a good pizza dough, as well. FYI: There is also a Vace in Bethesda.

Speaking of good pizza dough, Trader Joe's carries several varieties, including whole wheat. Good stuff...

This doesn't really help your immediate needs, but the farmer's market at Courthouse (Saturday mornings from 8am-noon) has a stand that sells fresh pasta (along with free range meat and eggs). I got their whole wheat pasta recently and it was delicious. They have ravioli too. I'd imagine that other farmer's markets in the area stock fresh pasta as well.

I used to buy pizza dough and pasta from Vace all the time. So I completely agree with the recommendation to do so.

I wish to add, however, that thanks to folks on this board, I have learned how to make my own pasta and pizza dough with complete comfort and ease. The pizza dough is the easiest thing in the world to make. It can't be made spur of the moment, you need a few hours, but I make it all the time now and it's better than anything around.

My pasta is a little more time consuming than the pizza dough, and I don't do it as often, but I make large quantities and freeze it.

Perhaps you already are a whiz at making your own pizza dough and pasta and are simply looking for the best place to buy, as you asked. But if you haven't had a chance to make your own, you're in the right place. The folks here can teach you a lot. They taught me some great stuff and I'm quite grateful to have had the opportunity.

it depends on where you live.    Eastern market has a good variety.  And if you go on weekdays- there is no one there and you can park your car around the back.  There are always spaces there - but only on the weekdays

I just bought some nice fresh buccatini there last week. Before, I had had stuck with the raviolis. There is a good selection.

I agree with some others that if you're looking for fresh pasta to cook (as opposed to, say, wear as jewelry or to replace the air filter in your car), Eastern Market is a good bet.

Ravioli from Eastern Market-- porcini on the left, sun-dried tomato and pesto on the right:

post-27-1132344295_thumb.jpg