Hanger Steak

David M.

I picked up a package of hanger steak at Cheesetique yesterday (about 3 pounds) and plan on serving it this weekend. Any suggestions on the best method? I figured simply seasoning it with S&P, then grilling over high-heat, but I be appreciative of any input others might have.

Sear it over high heat in an oven safe pan, then finish it in the oven at 400 degrees until desired doneness. Remove steak from pan and let it rest. In the same pan over medium heat, saute about 4 or 5 large shallots (for a 3 pound steak, you might want to do 2 cups worth) in oil and butter until they begin to brown. Then deglaze the pan with a cup or so of red wine. Add a little butter if you'd like. Pour sauce over steak and serve it up.

Thanks Mike. Question: I was thinking of using a cast iron skillet, but am concerned about deglazing in it? Will doing so impart an iron flavor?

I believe it depends on how well seasoned the pan is. I have one that was brought over on the Mayflower, and I've used it for dishes like this.

I would also add that marinating isn't necessary for Cheeseitique's Hangars. What I could learn about Hangars online suggests using a marinade since it's a tougher cut, but with these steaks I've usually just trimmed off the fat and membrane, patted them dry, seasoned with S&P and cooked them on the grill. I use the juices from the tray I cool them on to whip a sauce similar to Mike's.

These steaks cook beautifully, without much effort, and have tremendous flavor, so be careful about how much sauce you add. I can't believe these sell for just 7 bucks a pound.

DO NOT OVERCOOK THEM. Onglet is traditionally served "bleu", rare or medium rare. When overcooked the essential "beefiness" is lost and the meat will dry out significantly. Another tip, at CB we re-sear the steak after it rests to rebuild the crust and get that crispy chewy combo, and poele it with butter and rosemary for a foamy butter accent on the plate

Pull the onglets out of the fridge an hour before you intend to cook them. Then pan roast however you see fit.

A good topping if you don't have stock or want to deglaze, is to throw baked garlic, anchovies and butter into the food processor and make a killer compound butter. A better topping, if you have beef stock around, is roasted garlic and anchovies smashed or pureeed together and thrown ito the pan you roasted the beef in, with red wine and stock, until it boils down into an oozy mess. Finish with a little butter, bien sur and a fistfull of capers.

Shallot sauce is a classic: slow-cook minced shallots -- many more than you think you'll need -- and then hit them with red wine and beef stock. Finish with red wine vinegar and butter.

Just thought you all might be interested in knowing that the Grand Mart on Little River Tpke. sells hanger steak for around $1.99 per pound.  They have it labeled as "hanging tender" but it's the same thing.

Well, same cut, but not same thing. I know that Jill's at Cheesetique are organic, no antibiotics, etc. I don't think you'd get that guarantee from Grand Mart. I also trust the handling/butchering of Jill's meats more than I would Grand Mart with regard to sanitation and temperature issues. I have no evidence that Grand Mart does anything different, but personally I feel more comfortable paying extra.

But yes, same cut of meat.

Another tip, at CB we re-sear the steak after it rests to rebuild the crust and get that crispy chewy combo.

A couple of questions-- how long do you re-sear each side (I'm assuming just a minute or two), and does the steak then need to re-rest?

I'd like to try this.

A couple of questions-- how long do you re-sear each side (I'm assuming just a minute or two), and does the steak then need to re-rest?

I'd like to try this.

I wouldn't think so as it is only the exterior that is getting reheated -- so no juices to redistribute.

Pan sear and deglaze with red wine....

re-sear to rebuild the crust and poele it with butter and rosemary for a foamy butter accent on the plate....

I think an eating in for DCist.com is brewing. Perhaps its time to take a break from the burger quest and head over to circle bistro.

After cooking up my latest batch of Cheesetique's hanger steak (pan seared in the cast iron) I ended up dressing them liberally with some leftover salsa from Los Tios. The combo was f'in incredible! May I highly recommend that if you pick up some of the steaks from Jill at Cheesetique, make a stop a couple blocks away and get some salsa to go from Los Tios. It really was fantastic.

I decided to follow the advice of this thread and picked up a four pound hanger from Cheesetique on Friday. I had some difficulty trimming the sinew or whatever it is that runs down the middle of the steak, but goodness was it worth it! I simply cooked them on the stove over high heat for a couple of minutes a side. Then made a shallot redwine butter reduction to serve over them.

My God, the flavor! I almost wish I had left off the sauce, as the beef flavor was fantastic. At seven or eight bucks a pound, these are a bargain!

Hanging tenders were found at Super H this past weekend for $3.99 a pound in a vacuum-pack. My wife Barbara prefers them marinaded, but I prefer just some salt and pepper and thrown on the cast iron grillpan.

I've also gotten them at Grand Mart, but the one in the Landmark/395 area hasn't had them for a while.