Palmiers

Bob Wells

I grew up near a very authentic french pastry shop in Providence -- interestingly enough, it was named the French Pastry Shop -- that baked the best palmiers I've still ever had. Too many palmiers lack crunch.

If I'm going to eat so much butter and sugar at one shot, what I'm eating better be really good.

So, where in Northern Virginia (hopefully) or DC can I find really good palmiers?

I grew up near a very authentic french pastry shop in Providence -- interestingly enough, it was named the French Pastry Shop -- that baked the best palmiers I've still ever had. Too many palmiers lack crunch.

If I'm going to eat so much butter and sugar at one shot, what I'm eating better be really good.

So, where in Northern Virginia (hopefully) or DC can I find really good palmiers?

Actually made a batch of these tonight. Very crunchy with the requisite amount of butter and sugar. I have not found any in the area that were very good so I would be curious to hear too.

Try Randolph's on Lee Highway in Arlington (next door to Arrowine) or Patisserie Poupon on Wisconsin in upper Georgetown. They are the most authentic French bakeries, IMHO, and both use only butter to bake with.

Thanks -- I can definitely pop over to Randolph's and check out their palmiers. I will report back!

Thanks -- I can definitely pop over to Randolph's and check out their palmiers. I will report back!

I paid a visit to Pastries by Randolph today. While their stuff is gorgeous, they don't make palmiers :)

I soothed my dissappointment with a delicious cherry hamantash :o , and the palmier search will continue.

Was at Pentagon Row earlier today and saw the Sweet Surrender Bakery & Pastry Shop. Remembering this thread I stopped in to see if they had any palmiers. They did and I bought one. Crunchy and not too sweet. You might want to check them out. They are around the corner from the Sur la Table on the way to the back parking lot.

Was at Pentagon Row earlier today and saw the Sweet Surrender Bakery & Pastry Shop.  Remembering this thread I stopped in to see if they had any palmiers.  They did and I bought one.  Crunchy and not too sweet.  You might want to check them out.  They are around the corner from the Sur la Table on the way to the back parking lot.

Sweet Surrender also has decent biscotti...

Was at Pentagon Row earlier today and saw the Sweet Surrender Bakery & Pastry Shop. Remembering this thread I stopped in to see if they had any palmiers. They did and I bought one. Crunchy and not too sweet. You might want to check them out. They are around the corner from the Sur la Table on the way to the back parking lot.

Thanks for the tip! I don't get over that way too often but the next time I'm anywhere close I will pop in.

When I was up in Leesburg recently I spotted a place called European Gourmet Bakery. It's in a strip mall (of course) near the outlets. I was not in a position to stop in but next time I'm up there I'll check the place out.

This is one of my favorites and I am really picky because I dread the margarine aftertaste for those that aren't really authentic so to speak. I've found that Trader Joes has these mini-palmiers that are alright and does well in a pinch.

There are mini-palmiers at Pastry XPo out in Merrifield that were sugary and not bad.

Where I do splurge is at Bonaparte Bakery at the Dupont and Falls Church Farmer's Markets. They have the regular kind and a mutation-palmier sandwich of it with raspberry jam and powdered sugar on top. I really enjoy the flakey-crunch with the raspberry version that I splurged on this weekend. I can't remember how much they cost exactly, but I think for around $2 or a little more than that, it lasted me a couple of days, eating section by section. I haven't had a regular one in awhile, but I do know that I bought a couple to bring to my mom in Milwaukee and she asks if I can bring some more next time I visit...

This is one of my favorites and I am really picky because I dread the margarine aftertaste for those that aren't really authentic so to speak. I've found that Trader Joes has these mini-palmiers that are alright and does well in a pinch.

There are mini-palmiers at Pastry XPo out in Merrifield that were sugary and not bad.

Where I do splurge is at Bonaparte Bakery at the Dupont and Falls Church Farmer's Markets. They have the regular kind and a mutation-palmier sandwich of it with raspberry jam and powdered sugar on top. I really enjoy the flakey-crunch with the raspberry version that I splurged on this weekend. I can't remember how much they cost exactly, but I think for around $2 or a little more than that, it lasted me a couple of days, eating section by section. I haven't had a regular one in awhile, but I do know that I bought a couple to bring to my mom in Milwaukee and she asks if I can bring some more next time I visit...

The weather this Sunday wasn't really conducive to flaky French pastry, but a 3 minute turn in the oven at 300 degrees brought a Bonaparte Bakery palmier back to life tonight. I don't really want to think about how much butter and sugar I consumed, but it sure was yummy.