Khan's Bar & Grill - Mongolian BBQ on 12th and H Street NE

The +1 and I headed to lunch on H St. yesterday and wanted to try somewhere we hadn't eaten before. We were late enough we didn't really want brunch, so we decide to try Khan's Bar & Grill.

It's pretty straight-forward as Mongolian BBQ places go, but did have a list of appetizer type things that could be ordered in addition to the buffet-style entrees. There's also a full bar, and a lot of TVs (including a massive projection screen) around the whole restaurant. When we were there it was mostly college basketball on, but I believe Khan's is a big soccer bar. Seems like a good place to settle in and watch some games.

They have a daily lunch special (also valid on weekends) that includes a trip to the bar/grill and a soda for $10 (chicken or beef) or $11 (shrimp), which for the amount of food isn't too bad.

Your waiter/waitress brings a bowl to your table, then you head up to the bar for your non-meat additions (everything from noodles and tofu, to broccoli, carrots, peppers, onions, bean sprouts, and green beans, to pineapple, cilantro, and jalapenos). You then grab a smaller bowl to concoct your sauce. There are maybe 5-6 "main" sauces, then a similar number of "accompaniment" sauces. The mains were things like teriyaki, hot and sweet pepper, sweet bulgogi, and sesame ginger. The additional sauces had garlic, buffalo, hot pepper, etc. There were also little disposable spoons (a la Baskin Robbins tasting) so you could test the sauces before committing.

After building your bowl and sauce, you head up to the grill to hand off everything to the chefs. They start by cooking and chopping your selected meat, then add in the veggies and chop everything up a little more. The sauce goes on at the end just before they slide everything onto your plate. It's a fun little show. You're then offered a scoop of steamed rice if you want.

Nothing earth-shattering here, but it was a good and filling lunch. It seems like it could also be a fairly healthy outing if you avoid the rice and noodles and fill up on vegetables and protein.

On 3/18/2018 at 7:09 PM, DaRiv18 said:

This was closed when I walked by yesterday. Maybe for over a year?

[No doubt. I decided, "Enough is enough," and am paying a friend to make a relentless pass through the Dining Guide, making sure every entry is correct, and adding all Twitter accounts and Google maps. DC will be finished in a few weeks - then, it's on to Virginia, and onward after that. The one thing remaining that won't be correct is that there are threads - many threads - that I still haven't read, and the reason I haven't read them is because I knew they'd require work once I did (i.e., making entries in the Dining Guide - this is on me, and I'm trying to hack my way through the elephant grass of unread posts). One thing this exercise has made me realize is that I've been trying to do the work of ten people - this website literally needs ten people to do just the bare-minimum amount of work; if it were really to grow and become something, it would probably require fifty people, but content, correctness, and free access for members are more important to me than marketing and profit, foolish as that may sound.

Note also: We're going back to our roots, and wishing all our members a Happy Birthday, so please enter your birthday in your profile if you haven't already (the year isn't important) - also, please make sure your email address is correct, even though I don't think I've sent any emails in over a year, and promise to never sell or share your information with anyone; it's just that there are some members that I simply cannot get in touch with - Gastro888 was the first one I noticed MIA: I think she was a student at Georgetown, long ago, and is no longer in Washington, DC. Members who are no longer active are encouraged to return, as we're branching out into areas larger than Washington, DC restaurants (although I promise people that we will never lose sight of that as our core focus - I feel that "adding onto" things is fine, but "robbing Peter to pay Paul" is not fine). If you're lurking, and don't remember your password, please write me at donrockwell@dcdining.com, and I'll get you set up - also, if you've registered, and are having trouble getting confirmed (Pat confirms each-and-every new member by hand, to minimize the possibility of spam or robots), please write me also.

As always, please write me and let me know if you have any suggestions for improvement (one day, we'll get a new interface, and I'm actually talking about doing that with a PR firm). For example, putting important restaurants in the Multiple Locations Dining Guide in their individual neighborhoods - some of you may have seen my feeble effort at beginning this, but I have so much work to do that I can't get it done, although I'm trying (any volunteers? I have them all marked with an asterisk!)]

• Like 2