Jiffy Shoppes, Morningside, MD Sub Shop Open Since 1959 Closes Their Bethesda Branch

Well, it's been open since 1959, and this is only the second store. After 42 years? They're sure going to get my business, at least at the original location. Kudos, respect, and Jiffy Shoppes absolutely makes the list of the oldest restaurants in the area.

The beauty of a 15-year-old child is the absolute pliability when it comes to making a voyage such as this.

The beauty of a 15-year-old child is the absolute pliability when it comes to making a voyage such as this.

Soon Matt will reply with "sure Dad, as long as I can drive there."

Thanks for the head's up mnnchas, their website has their history and an interesting menu [especially the subs and Greek fare]. Let us know how your visit this weekend goes - it looks like they're closed on Sunday.

Yesterday's Washington Business Journal had another press release regurg from Missy Frederick. I wish she'd do some original reporting [her article notes that Jiffy Shoppes was planning a mid-June opening].

It is interesting to read background on what it takes to open this modest enterprise.

Jiffy is next to Chef Tony's and has a side patio with tables waiting for the warm weather to return.

I stopped in for an early dinner this Spring, and wasn't really impressed. Asked for a chicken cheesesteak, but they were out. Went with a regular cheesesteak and tried a slice of pizza; could have done better with steakums and a tombstone from Safeway down the street.

I might be tempted to give them another shot, but they seem to be closed every time I walk by.

I stopped in for an early dinner this Spring, and wasn't really impressed. Asked for a chicken cheesesteak, but they were out. Went with a regular cheesesteak and tried a slice of pizza; could have done better with steakums and a tombstone from Safeway down the street.

I might be tempted to give them another shot, but they seem to be closed every time I walk by.

Jiffy came out of a culture that included Eddie Leonard's, Harley's of Baltimore (closest outpost was Laurel) and Hungry Herman's in College Park. Harley's had the best cold cut and Hungry Herman had the best steak and cheese (NOT cheesesteak). The original Jerry's from Kennedy street which moved to University Blvd. in the late '50's blew them all away. Of course the White House in Atlantic City made me forget about Jerry's.