DR Spring 2012 Picnic: Sunday June 3rd, Noon-6pm

Hi all!

Nothing says spring like the annual spring picnic. While two months away, we hope you are able to block some time on your calandar and of course attend. This will be the best picnic you have ever been to, great people, great food, and great drinks. Ft Hunt has a wonderful amount of roaming space and best yet, they have never kicked us out!

While we have some time, we are in need of some help! Let Goldenticket (Jackie) or I know if you have a hand or two to chip in to help with logistics and please plan on bringing a few extra people to introduce us to!

Well, if the gods of DCA allow my flight to come in on time (around 1 pm), I can hopefully make the latter part of the picnic! Now to figure out what to bring since I won't be able to do much cooking...

Or bring the "cute" local snacks from the airport food marts...

Here is one event I will be helping with: Cookbook and assorted other swap!

Please bring your old cookbooks and other assorted goodies for the swap! Remember the book you picked up last fall and read every night? Time to bring it back for the group! I have two boxes of cookbooks ready to go. Simple, bring one, pick up one, at the end of the day its a free for all! Anything left over will be donated or saved till the next picnic! Last year someone brought a few gadgets and food related items also, free free to empty your cupboards!

My wife Susan and myself will be there. Most likely I'll bring a flavored non-water, non-alcoholic beverage + some sort of side. My standard drink is ginger lemonade but I think this would be a good opportunity to try another simple flavorful drink.

Looking forward to the picnic! I'll be there +1, not sure what I'm bringing yet.

I guess the keeper of the leftover 'stuff' (plates, napkins, plastic ware, table cloths, etc) from the last picnic hasn't raised their hand. If you're out there, please let me and/or Scott Johnston know (on the thread or via PM).

As always, all members are welcome, we just ask that you bring something to share.

If you're lurking, this is a great reason to join DR.com. The spring and fall picnics are great events and an excellent way to meet others from the board.

And the food/drink usually isn't too shabby, either ;)

I will be attending with don't know how many + yet. And haven't figured out what I am bringing yet. Sort of depends on what other people are doing. Thought about making calico beans, and something else.... We will see. And I probably have some cookbooks to donate. Although I hate parting with cookbooks that I never use, it really pains me for some reason.

I've been watching on Netflix, Gordon Ramsay's Best Restaurant, fun to watch(30 diners all at once, then they send in secret diners, w/ spy cams), & one of the Thai restaurants (in Scotland) had a Thai vegetarian haggis, unfortunately, they didn't let us know what was in that, although everyone raved about it. I haven't decided what I'll be bringing to the picnic, but it won't be haggis, & I'm trying to break my dependence on pork....

Less than two weeks away, time to start thinking about what/who you're bringing!

Here's a quick list of RSVPs so far:

Scott Johnston, cucas87 +1 deviled eggs, haggis

Goodeats dumplings/wontons

John William G +1

TheMatt

DanielK

DCDeb + 1 (tentative)

Weezy

Iolaire +1 side, non-alcoholic beverage

Barbara, DameEdna chicken liver pate, cheesecake

Nena

Ktmoomau

thistle pork butt, pound cake

Goldenticket +1

lperry +1

agm, NotQuickDraw ribs, fancy mac n cheese (tentative)

Crackers, Jacques Gastreaux +1(?) goose pastrami, MPSfH

1000yregg

Fishinnards lamb biryani (?)

ol_ironstomach

I'm not too sure what I'll be able to bring since I'm flying in that afternoon, but if I can make it, I'll probably bring pastries or some sort of sweet.

Matt, given that you're flying in that afternoon, the only thing that's important to bring is yourself.

Okay! Let's get this thing rocking - June is sneaking up on us!

Can someone post links to pictures of previous picnics? That ought to do it. :)

Sigh, another year, another conflict. The bad news is that I have to drop my sister off at Dulles smack dab in the middle of the day. She's heading to Bologna to pick up my niece who has been there since last August. The good news is that the earthquake was felt, but did no harm in the area where she is statying.

Matt, given that you're flying in that afternoon, the only thing that's important to bring is yourself.

Well, if nothing else, Hollin Hall Pastry is conveniently on the way from National to the park. That said, I might try and bring some Enstrom's toffee from my trip.

Can someone post links to pictures of previous picnics? That ought to do it. :)

1000yregg's pix from Fall 2011 Picnic and the Spring 2011 picnic

and from the Spring 2010 5th Anniversary Picnic (pig, food, dessert & drinks)

I hope our resident photo-documentarian can join us this time!

And a few from the very first picnic. I wasn't there, but it was the pictures of the ventworm cake that drew me in :)

To see more, search on Picnic in the Events forum and you'll find threads for all of the past picnics.

I expect to be there, along with Jacques and possibly a +1. We are thinking about bringing some goose pastrami and a wee bit of martian pigslop from hell.

It was seven years ago to the day that the first dr.com picnic was held at Belle Haven Park. Happy Anniversary to all who were there. Here are more pics of that day: http://share.shutterfly.com/share/received/album.sfly?fid=899ae225fc08178c&startIndex=0&sid=9AcM3Ddo0cMTe

I am smoking a small pork butt this weekend, & will probably do the same for the picnic-unimaginative, but pork BBQ mixes w/ lots of other dishes-I have a tendency to play it safe, so pork & poundcake....

We cannot get enough meats and proteins!

When in doubt

of what to bring

bring meat or

a pack of ting

PS - For those of you who joined after 2007 (or thereabouts), you may not know two of the most important people in the history of donrockwell.com: Crackers, and Jacques Gastreaux.

And these two wonderful people will be celebrating the 7th anniversary of the day they met in person for the first time: were they perhaps the very first DR.com romantic success story?

My food still TBD, but will be +1. Where is everyone - the RSVP list looks quite small...

Here's the inventory of the traveling DR.com picnic supply basket. We could use some more name labels, and plastic silverware, but maybe we're ok on the rest?

• ~100 styrofoam plates
  • ~100 paper plates
  • ~50 dessert paper plates
  • ~70 bowls
  • 200+ napkins
  • ~100 plastic cups
  • ~80 styrofoam cups
  • A little bit of plastic silverware
  • 1 pkg cocktail forks
  • 3 cans gel fuel
  • 1 chafing rack
  • 1 container hand sanitizer
  • 7 tablecloths
  • ~40 name labels
  • ~60 index cards

Husband and I are coming. No idea what we'll bring. Can't bring the grill anymore, #1 son totaled the truck. Not to worry, he's fine, but the front passenger side wheel axle was knocked into a 90 degree angle. Should have seen the look in his eyes. :blink: Poor baby.

Husband wants to bring chicken thighs braised with daikon in a soy-ginger-five spice braise. I think that's way too heavy for June, and should be saved for the fall picnic.

I am leaning towards devilled eggs with anchovies, which Thomas Jefferson enjoyed at Monticello. Perhaps a nice Greek salad with sheep feta and Greek extra virgin olive oil.

Whatever food we bring, we shall also bring beer, in an ice chest, with ice.

I've got a good chicken salad with a Middle Eastern flavor profile that I'll bring, and I've been wanting to try a key lime bar with a gluten-free crust, so that's a high probability. Still don't know if I'm + anyone or not.

On what seems to be almost a tradition on days of the summer picnic, the Wilson Bridge project has scheduled some rather massive work on the Inner Loop at the Telegraph Road project. Plan accordingly if you are coming from Maryland into Virginia on the south side of town. Suggested alternatives are the American Legion Bridge and the always terrifying Harry Nice Bridge.

Really? It looks like a good list. My ETA is now around 3pm, though. Birthday party season!

Right now I count < 35 RSVPs. That seems very low to me.

Some of the best picnics have been those with low attendance. A smaller atmosphere can be more welcoming.

The first picnic, back on eGullet, had less than a dozen attendees and will always be one of my favorite.

Still plenty of time to reply (or PM me) that you're coming. RSVPs are nice, but not required. If you don't feel like cooking, bring your favorite cheese, baked good, charcuterie, etc from your favorite local spot. Beverages (water and non-alcoholic, as well as wine and beer) and paper goods are always good contributions.

Also, don't forget to bring some cash to kick in the pot to help cover the rental cost of the picnic space :)

Here's the latest list:

Scott Johnston, cucas87 +1 deviled eggs, haggis

Goodeats dumplings/wontons

John William G +1

TheMatt

DanielK +1

DCDeb + 1 (tentative)

Weezy middle Eastern chicken salad, GF key lime bars (maybe)

Iolaire +2 side, dessert, non-alcoholic beverage

Barbara, DameEdna chicken liver pate, cheesecake

Nena

Ktmoomau

thistle +2 pork butt, pound cake

Goldenticket +1

lperry +1

agm, NotQuickDraw ribs, fancy mac n cheese (tentative)

Crackers, Jacques Gastreaux +1(?) goose pastrami, MPSfH

1000yregg

Fishinnards lamb biryani (?)

ol_ironstomach

Rhone1998 +1

Pat +1 orzo feta salad, brownies

Ilaine +1 beer, ice chest, ice, food TBD

Skipper10 ice chest, ice

My wife Susan and myself will be there. Most likely I'll bring a flavored non-water, non-alcoholic beverage + some sort of side. My standard drink is ginger lemonade but I think this would be a good opportunity to try another simple flavorful drink.

We will have a third person and some sort of dessert.