Forest Inn, Westover Shopping Center in North Arlington - Hidden, Upstairs Bar with Possible Indian Food

Speaking of which, has anyone ever ventured up to Forest Inn? This must be one of the most unknown and hidden restaurants in all of Arlington.

I have been afraid to but my upstairs neighbor hangs out there from time to time after his shift is over. He claims there is decent beer and meh food, iirc. One of these days, I will go somewhere other than Toby's, food-wise on that side of the street....

Speaking of which, has anyone ever ventured up to Forest Inn? This must be one of the most unknown and hidden restaurants in all of Arlington.

A few friends and I went there about 3 months ago, what we found was a total dive bar, welcoming bartender, aging alcoholics, david allan coe on the jukebox, cheap double shots of bourbon, and Bud draft (the only draft beer they offer). Not planning on eating what I assumed would be typical dive bar fare, I was surprised to see an elderly gentleman in the back cooking up that day's special: curried chicken thighs. Served over basmati with a heap of cilantro, they were fantastic.

There was some discussion of this place in Shopping and Cooking in the Butcher Shop at Westover thread, here. Unfortunately, the Wikipedia article I refer to no longer contains the 70s-era picture of Westover shopping center. On the other hand, through the miracle of the Google I was able to find the same picture elsewhere, and here it is:

bitd-westover-sc.jpg

Way down at the other end, just this side of the US flag, is a green and white sign with black lettering, which you can hardly see. That was the Black Forest Inn, where I had many a fine lunch in my time as a letter carrier. They had gulasch and bratwurst with sauerkraut and potato salad and that sort of thing, but also hamburgers, steak-and-cheeses, fries. The post office that was next door was quite small, but even at that they only used about 20% of the space they had. I guess they must have transferred additional activity to the new facility, since it's about half the size of the Pentagon. It is unknown to me at what point the Black Forest Inn became the Forest Inn (before or after relocating?) or at what point it morphed from simple little restaurant to horrifying dive.

Those cars look totally Kojak, don't they?