Aroi Thai Sushi Bar, Bloomingdale - in the old Duchess and The Queen Space on 1st Street NW

I'm hopeful. Will it be Little Serow or Thai X-ing? Absolutely not. Could it be Spices or Nooshi? Probably. Both perfectly serviceable for family-friendly pan-Asian with decent sushi. I see nothing wrong with that. Better that than an empty storefront.

The rumor of tapas across the street and some wine bar/pub thing in that big storefront on the south corner has me more intrigued, though ....

Aroi opened about 3 weeks ago. With a newborn in the house we haven't had a chance to try it yet, but a look at the menu I picked up on the jog by doesn't all that interesting (at least on the sushi front). The Thai offerings would have to be *really* good to overcome our go-to at Beau Thai. However, Aroi is easy walking distance for us. Early online reviews are cautiously optimistic (but also lots of "OMGGGGG this place is AWESOME!! :):):):). Best thai food EVAH!!!" ). Anybody been in and can report back?

Ted you will be disappointed. I had an assortment of items off the Thai side of the menu (on principle I won't eat sushi from any combo-Asian restaurant) and not one that I would order again. The meats in the dishes I had were very low quality and none of the accompanying sauces were interesting enough to overcome this. It's only slightly less cheap than Beau Thai but might survive just because of the location and run off from Boundary Stone and, shortly, Red Hen.