cityhouse, a Hotel Restaurant Chain with American Cuisine - in the Hyatt Arlington

I think City House may be your typical hotel restaurant/bar with traditional banquet cuisine.

The menus look more interesting than traditional banquet cuisine. Yelpers give it fair to bad reviews overall, but OpenTable reviews are more positive (mostly reasonably good to good). Am hoping OpenTable reviewers are more likely to be correct.

The menus look more interesting than traditional banquet cuisine. Yelpers give it fair to bad reviews overall, but OpenTable reviews are more positive (mostly reasonably good to good). Am hoping OpenTable reviewers are more likely to be correct.

Here are some examples from Yelp Elite reviewers, and also from OpenTable:

Yelp Elite Reviewer 5-Star Review of Good Stuff Eatery

Yelp Elite Reviewer 2-Star Review of CityZen

OpenTable 5-Star Review of B Smith's

OpenTable 4.5-Star Review of The Melting Pot

Nothing more needed than this, right?

I've been and it is no better than Domaso was before it closed down. A professional wrote the menu and did a good job. A professional is cooking the food as well, but is not doing nearly as good a job.

Also, $16 for a burger, $40 for a lamb entree, and $36 for crab cakes, seem to be the typical hotel price-gouging I'd expect.

Honest advise, I could think of better, and more affordable options for your large party. How large is large?

Quite possibly over 200 (depending on RSVPs and how many of the very large out-of-town contingent come). We have restrictions -- we'll be coming from bar mitzvah service near Tenleytown, and people will be brunching the next morning in Arlington and probably staying in Arlington (Rosslyn the likeliest), so it would much easier for considerable numbers of out-of-town guests to have the party either in Arlington on the Metro, or in DC but near the temple rather than having to get them elsewhere in the city. We're too big for most restaurants, so we are likely stuck with hotels unless we find a large space where we can have it catered. We're told by some places we contacted that since it's a very big drinking weekend (March Madness and St. Patrick's) and we're not serving alcohol, we wouldn't make the minimums at some places we otherwise could've rented.

Also, $16 for a burger, $40 for a lamb entree, and $36 for crab cakes, seem to be the typical hotel price-gouging I'd expect.

the catering prices are a little better than that. But if we go with a hotel, we may be more inclined to go with Key Bridge Marriott and give our guests the view - food seems likely to be about the same.

I've been and it is no better than Domaso was before it closed down. A professional wrote the menu and did a good job. A professional is cooking the food as well, but is not doing nearly as good a job.

Thanks, DPop - useful to hear from a Rockwellian who's been there.

the catering prices are a little better than that. But if we go with a hotel, we may be more inclined to go with Key Bridge Marriott and give our guests the view - food seems likely to be about the same.

Assuming you can get that view, it would be wonderful.

Does anyone remember "Top O' The Town?" The restaurant is gone, but they still rent the space out for parties, *and* I believe you can (must?) arrange for your own caterer - that's the best of both words. Think of the possibilities: Gillian Clark, Gerard Pangaud ... the list could go on and on. Who knows, if you play your cards right, you might even be able to get Don Rockwell (*) as sommelier!

Cheers,

Don Rockwell,

dcdining.com ;)

(*) Actually, yes: homey does play that. Private functions too. Give me a try sometime folks - nothing makes me happier than working to make others happy, and I'm pretty darned good at it, too.