Dining in Potomac

From what I hear:

Jade Billows will be occupied by another Asian restaurant (not sure if it will be Chinese), locally owned by someone with a track record.

Pomegranate is going to become a fresh seafood place (think Black Market Bistro).

Pomegranate's landlord got over 200 requests to keep it open, so they reopened it. In 30 days, less than 50 customers went.

---

[The following posts have been moved into separate threads:

Grilled Oyster Company (jandres374)

Attman's (DanielK)]

From what I hear:

Jade Billows will be occupied by another Asian restaurant (not sure if it will be Chinese), locally owned by someone with a track record.

Pomegranate is going to become a fresh seafood place (think Black Market Bistro).

Pomegranate's landlord got over 200 requests to keep it open, so they reopened it. In 30 days, less than 50 customers went.

A fresh seafood place should do very well there. I know Pomegranate was kosher but it was very expensive and priced themselves out of the market.

A fresh seafood place should do very well there. I know Pomegranate was kosher but it was very expensive and priced themselves out of the market.

Potomac = Expensive

Renato is expensive, but they make up for it with poor food. Next door's sister River Falls Seafood is criminally expensive, but they make up for it with poor service.

• Like 1

Sometimes a white pizza from Tally Ho hits the spot. IIRC one of the owners of Sugo said his family owns Tally Ho and that's where he got his start. DanielK, do you remember if that's right?

Maybe it was "ownED", not "ownS", but I do recall hearing the story.

Potomac was designed as a suburban residential community. Other than the commercial district at River & Falls, Cabin John center, and Fortune Parc/Parc Potomac (which may be Rockville, depending on which angle you hold the map), there's pretty much no commercial activity. So the few places there are have the ability to charge more and offer less. Happy to make the 5 minute drive to Rockville or 10 to Bethesda.

From what I hear:

Appears that it will be called "China Jade Bistro." Don, can you give us anymore insight behind the owner? Is this something to keep any eye on?

post-2-0-51555700-1445646343_thumb.png

FWIW:

• Grilled Oyster is going in the Pomegranate Bistro spot, and says they're shooting for Labor Day weekend.
  • China Jade Bistro, in the old Jade Billows spot, opening projected for October.
  • Benny's is going in the old Popeye's spot, no opening date listed.

Benny's is closing this weekend, to be replaced by a new restaurant by the owner of the Irish Inn at Glen Echo (posted in the appropriate thread).

This thread hasn't been updated in forever, so just an update on the spots above.

- Grilled Oyster Company is still there and well-regarded.

- China Jade Bistro did not last long, but there is now a restaurant called China Gourmet Bistro in the same spot. Different owners, or just updated name concept? Either way, I've heard folks aren't terribly impressed - better to venture into Rockville for either authentic or Americanized Chinese.

• Like 1

In just the Cabin John shopping center:

• Benny's started out meh, and went downhill from there. A generic Irish pub is a pretty near guarantee of an improvement.
  • Grilled Oyster Co is fine for a basic piece of fish or fried seafood, but oddly the grilled oysters aren't very good.
  • China Gourmet Bistro is not good, even for Americanized Chinese food.
  • Attman's isn't half as good as the Baltimore original, or of the splendid Brooklyn's a mile north on Seven Locks.
  • Goldberg's (kosher) still has some pretty fantastic bagels.
  • Breadsmith is a kosher bread-only bakery that's quite expensive but just ok. What should be the crown jewels in a kosher bakery, challah and rye, are not very good. Brooklyn's has better rye, and the Giant next door often has better challah.
  • Gregorio's Trattoria is basically red sauce italian on white china, at white china prices. Go to Mamma Lucia's in Federal Plaza instead for better food for less money.
  • Broadway Pizza is as close to a NY pizza shop as the Subway is to a NY deli.
  • There's also a Baskin Robbins, a California Tortilla, and a Starbucks in the shopping center, and a McDonald's, a Jerry's, and Momo Taro Sushi (which has been open without any customers for years - I think they sell packaged sushi to area stores) in the adjacent "mall".

If I'm going for a meal in that shopping center, BGR is by far the best choice. They are one of the most consistent shops in the chain - I've gone dozens of times over the years, and the fries have always been hot and crisp, and my burger has never been miscooked.

• Like 2

Daniel,

See we stopped gong to BGR because their burgers were always hockey pucks no matter how much we asked, begged, etc...

The lines at the Starbucks are always long.  Goldberg's is rarely crowded but I so rarely eat grains these days.

We end up doing dinner out every Tuesday because there isn't enough time between karate and choir to go home.  I can not remember the last time we ate anywhere in Cabin John.  Probably Attmans 2 years ago.

having lived in the rockville north Potomac watelands for the past twenty years I acn say I'm happy my kids were well educated but this has and always will be a culinary waste land. perhaps it was exciting when Cava opened or sometime in the 90s when I partied with the Greaseman at Niwano Hana.

I'm halftime in Annapolis right now yet places now my May and want to get to know me, Tonight dinner with friends ended with a few extra glasses of Rioja Riseva because the owner thought we needed to try that. never has that happened in20 years in Rockville.

And by the way my store here had my favorite champagne Billecart Salmon Rose 10 less then my go to store in Arlington.