The Rock and Raw Bar at Sobe's - Clarendon Blvd. and N. Hudson Street in Clarendon - Closed

I remember when they opened it. Nice look and feel, and good fish as I recall. But it didn't catch on. I doubt they have ever put much time or effort into it over the years and I suspect the rent is dirt cheap. They could be approaching a new lease/ higher rents and trying to make a serious go of it now with thought and work.

As you can tell from my name, I work at The Rock and Raw Bar at Sobe's. The restaurant has been here for a while and is owned by the same people behind Mister Day's. At one point during a renovation, the owner had health issues and the restaurant was reopened only on Fridays and Saturdays as a karaoke bar. I was hired as the sole manager back in March and we brought a chef on board in mid-June. The transition has taken some time but we are now open Tuesday - Saturday evenings. The concept is a seafood place/raw bar. We do have lots of small plates, but we aren't really tapas. The fish tacos are insane. We'll be having live music every night of the week, save Karaoke on Fridays.

Being a small place, I'm still getting rid of the 20 flavored vodkas to create room for better liquor. We're doing crushes with fresh lemons, limes, oranges and grapefruits. The beer list has been re-done with some of the better microbrews and will be rotating frequently. We only have two taps, right now its Green Flash Double Barrel Stout and Sam Octoberfest (a huge favorite in this area). Still working on the happy hours. Clarendon has become a cluster of bars one-upping each other in the price department so its tough to find our niche.

Being a small place, I'm still getting rid of the 20 flavored vodkas to create room for better liquor. We're doing crushes with fresh lemons, limes, oranges and grapefruits. The beer list has been re-done with some of the better microbrews and will be rotating frequently. We only have two taps, right now its Green Flash Double Barrel Stout and Sam Octoberfest (a huge favorite in this area). Still working on the happy hours. Clarendon has become a cluster of bars one-upping each other in the price department so its tough to find our niche.

Sounds good, Kyle. Thanks for coming on and engaging people.

Can you tell me what, exactly, the official name of SoBe is so I can title the thread properly? The same menu is offered throughout, right?

Cheers (and welcome!)

Rocks

Sorry, I lost track of this site for a bit. Don, the official name is "The Rock and Raw Bar at Sobe's". Long name, I know. We'll probably drop the "at Sobe's" down the road. I hope. Genevieve, other than the fish tacos, my favorites are the Lobster Rolls, Firecracker Oysters (fried oysters drizzled in a spicy mambo sauce) and our Crabcake.

Sorry, I lost track of this site for a bit. Don, the official name is "The Rock and Raw Bar at Sobe's". Long name, I know. We'll probably drop the "at Sobe's" down the road. I hope. Genevieve, other than the fish tacos, my favorites are the Lobster Rolls, Firecracker Oysters (fried oysters drizzled in a spicy mambo sauce) and our Crabcake.

Thanks - I love lobster rolls, will definitely come try those! And good crabcakes nearby would be an excellent thing.

Oh good. I love lobster rolls too and I'm nearby. I'll be there. Good luck!!

There is now a sign hanging on the outside announcing that "South Beach on the Bayou" is coming soon.  I have seen this place open since the sign went up so maybe this is just another touch of re-branding.

There is now a sign hanging on the outside announcing that "South Beach on the Bayou" is coming soon.  I have seen this place open since the sign went up so maybe this is just another touch of re-branding.

Does anyone know if SoBe's still exists as an entity?

Mister Day's has a stub of a web page here.

South Beach on the Bayou has a Facebook page here.

Mad Rose Tavern has a web page here.

The signage outside says - I think - Mister Day's, so what exactly is South Beach on the Bayou?

Is Mad Rose Tavern a completely separate business? They're both listed at 3100 Clarendon Blvd.

I've never quite gotten this all straight, but something tells me they're keeping Bronx Pizza & Subs (which has a web page here, and is also listed at 3100 Clarendon Blvd.) in business. It would be pretty funny if one of these places owned Bronx Pizza & Subs - get your customers good and drunk, and have a jumbo slice waiting right outside - this place is every bit as bad as Adams Morgan pizza.

Someone either has a pot full of money, or they're deeply in debt.

If it helps anyone sort things out, our Mad Rose Tavern thread is here.

Sobe/rock n raw/ etc are owned by Mr days. Mad rose is owned by a diff group. Bronx pizza by A-town who owns primetime in Fairfax.  The address for that complex is 3100 but they are all suites.

I never understood why days doesn't use the so be space to its potential. Could fit a lot of drunk bros in there.

• Like 1

Mr Day's has, I believe, done so well for so many decades.  It moved to Clarendon, when?  In the late 1980's, the 1990's.  Its done killer business for a long long long time.   I suspect they can afford SoBe's...no matter how they do.   I just checked the Mr Day's and Sobe's sites.  Sobe's is evidently closed till Thursday's and only open Thursday's through the weekend.  That makes it more like a club...than restaurant.   That also suggests to me there isn't much there restaurant and food wise.

Of course I haven't had dinner in that spot in a very very long time...so I can't speak to what they are doing now.

Mad Rose, I understand has disappointed, pissed off, and done a less than stellar job for several years, from what I've heard from different folks.  Regardless its currently one more Clarendon club/bar that also puts some food on the table on occasion.

the pizza place....in my opinion....blah.