Uptown Tap House, Cleveland Park in the old 4P's Space - Closed

Uptown Tap House opened last night in the old 4P's space in Cleveland Park. The decor is pretty much the same as the 4P's. It isn't clear they really did much work other than install a few fans and replace the signage. UTH is owned by McFaddens/Sign of Whale people.

The restaurant held a neighborhood night last night offering a "3-Course Tasting Menu" and free Champagne. I'm pretty confident the champagne had never seen France, but i'm happy to take free alcohol.

Not surprisingly, the restaurant staff was overwhelmed, and sadlythe kitchen ran out of many of the food items by our reservation time, so our tasting menu of the house specialties was severely limited. (I was eyeing those big ribeyes that were going out, but never got one.)

Items we had:

- Fried chicken salad - A few pieces of chicken fingers on top of some iceberg lettuce.

- Spinach and Artichoke dip - They ran out of chips, so a quick trip to CVS alleviated the issue. Tasted like the spinach and artichoke dip that ever bar in town serves.

- Crab cakes - Easily the best item of the evening - I found them to be rather good - lots of crab, not too much filler. Really pretty tasty and a good size.

- Seared salmon - Sad overcooked piece of salmon on top of some overcooked spinach.

- Lots of cheesecake

Overall, pretty much uninspired bar fare. It will be interesting to see what the owners plan to do with the space and food, but as of now, you can't really compare the food to that offered at many of the neighboring bars on the Cleveland Park strip.

Uptown Tap House opened last night in the old 4P's space in Cleveland Park. The decor is pretty much the same as the 4P's.

I probably should have stopped reading after the first two sentences!

Shame, because with some investment and vision you could turn this space into a nice neighborhood pub.

and closed.  Reopening in the Fall under new management (we'll see how that goes).

Their food was mostly unremarkable, except for the freshly fried potato chips dusted in Old Bay.  They also had a decent beer selection.  Unfortunately the management kinda sucked, esp. during the World Cup.

But their greatest failure was the place was overly generic, it had no identity...basically, it was a boring bar.