Le Mediterranean Bistro, University Drive in Downtown Fairfax - Closed

ClosedChef Driss Zahidi is opening Le Mediterranean Bistro, hopefully in April, in the old Sabzi space at 4008 University Drive in Fairfax.

This will be a French Bistro (remember, Driss was the opening chef at Bistro Vivant), with Moroccan dishes as well, as Chef Zahidi is from Morocco. This should mean there will be lots of dishes from Provence and the Côe d'Azur.

A sample opening menu can be found here (note the Octopus Kebab).

As far as I'm concerned, we cannot get enough good southern French restaurants in this area. Congratulations to the whole team.

• Like 1

I guess someone has to be the first, so here goes. We went to Le Mediterranean Bistro in Fairfax with five people, three of whom have traveled extensively in France. One of those who had not traveled is only a little over 2 years old, the other is my son-in-law, and we're working on him. It was my daughter's birthday, and we added to the challenge of bringing a child to a nice French restaurant (we called to make sure it was OK) with my daughter's allergy to cows milk. Partly because the food is prepared to order, and partly because of the cuisine from the South of France, this was less of a problem than you might expect. The lamb tagine doesn't have milk or butter anyway, the beet salad uses goat cheese. For dessert the chef invented a blackberry savion.

The restaurant is reminiscent of places I've eaten along the Côe d'Azur, especially at a couple of places on that street beneath the castle in Cannes. The dining room is inviting if not extravagent, the staff welcomes you with enthusiam. The menu is typically Mediterranean French, which is nice. There are a few dishes that are Moroccan, and several that have Moroccan influences. I had a wonderful foie mousse served with toast and cornichons. My scallops were perfectly prepared, which is unusual since most places overcook them. Other fish dishes at our table were examples of a deep knowledge of Mediterranean seafood preparation.

The portions aren't huge, again typical of places along the Côe d'Azur where I've eaten. The entree prices are in the low to mid-20s. The wine list is small but well chosen and suprisingly well priced.

One thing that got my attention is the $14.00 prix fixe lunch, which I haven't yet tried, but plan to try soon.

Parking is a public lot across the street.

This is French regional cooking at its best. As much as I like a good bistro in Paris, I also love the food outside of Paris, and that's the cuisine you'll find here.

Wayne Rash

• Like 1

I guess someone has to be the first, so here goes. We went to Le Mediterranean Bistro in Fairfax with five people, three of whom have traveled extensively in France. One of those who had not traveled is only a little over 2 years old, the other is my son-in-law, and we're working on him. It was my daughter's birthday, and we added to the challenge of bringing a child to a nice French restaurant (we called to make sure it was OK) with my daughter's allergy to cows milk. Partly because the food is prepared to order, and partly because of the cuisine from the South of France, this was less of a problem than you might expect. The lamb tagine doesn't have milk or butter anyway, the beet salad uses goat cheese. For dessert the chef invented a blackberry savion.

The restaurant is reminiscent of places I've eaten along the Côe d'Azur, especially at a couple of places on that street beneath the castle in Cannes. The dining room is inviting if not extravagent, the staff welcomes you with enthusiam. The menu is typically Mediterranean French, which is nice. There are a few dishes that are Moroccan, and several that have Moroccan influences. I had a wonderful foie mousse served with toast and cornichons. My scallops were perfectly prepared, which is unusual since most places overcook them. Other fish dishes at our table were examples of a deep knowledge of Mediterranean seafood preparation.

The portions aren't huge, again typical of places along the Côe d'Azur where I've eaten. The entree prices are in the low to mid-20s. The wine list is small but well chosen and suprisingly well priced.

One thing that got my attention is the $14.00 prix fixe lunch, which I haven't yet tried, but plan to try soon.

Parking is a public lot across the street.

This is French regional cooking at its best. As much as I like a good bistro in Paris, I also love the food outside of Paris, and that's the cuisine you'll find here.

Wayne Rash

Thanks for the post, Wayne. I've been here too, and Driss is cooking just as well as he did at Bistro Vivant when it first opened.

I have Le Mediterranean Bistro in Italic in the Dining Guide, just a coin-flip behind (the more expensive) Villa Mozart in East Fairfax, and ahead of (the very good) Bollywood Bistro. If I lived or worked in downtown Fairfax, I'd be here often.

• Like 1