Bub and Pop's - Mae and Irv Wagner's Philadelphia-Inspired Sandwiches on 18th and M Street Downtown

http://www.bubandpops.com/Home_Page.php

I hadn't realized this spot opened in February. I had the chance to drop in for a quick bite last month and was pleased...though I don't want to go too often as the kettle chips are very tempting and quite good.

The day I stopped in I had a Turkey sub, and I loved it as it was shaved thinly, and roasted fresh. Wisely they have the chips on the counter for samples. Wise for them, unwise for me! I bought them and immediately put them in the kitchen when I returned to work so others would eat the majority. ;) It is a family run operation, and it shows. They are extremely friendly and will chat with you if they are slow and you have the time.

Nice to have a non-chain, family restaurant in the franchise-heavy golden triangle. Mr. S went on a different day and tried the brisket and said it was delicious. The menu has lots of appealing items, but almost all are off limits for me due to allergies.

I do hope others will go and report back on the rest of the menu as I think this type of place can easily be missed. (like all their home-made pickles and roast pork sammies) It's in an English Basement and difficult to see from the road. They're also aiming to catch the late-night crowd as they are open 'til 3am.

The Pops Beef Brisket is my new favorite sandwich in the neighborhood, overtaking TakEatEasy's Chivito, G st. Food's Cuban, and DC Po'Boy Shop's Andouillle Po'Boy.

Now a bad bunch of competitors.

Now I have to go back and try everything else.

And the diet was going so well...

• Like 1

The Pops Beef Brisket is my new favorite sandwich in the neighborhood, overtaking TakEatEasy's Chivito, G st. Food's Cuban, and DC Po'Boy Shop's Andouillle Po'Boy.

Do you get the Pop's Beef Brisket ($12) with the fried egg (+$1)? I tried it without the egg and actually prefer Taylor's Pattison Avenue for that kind of a sandwich (recognizing, of course, that the latter is pork). Pop's brisket is a fine sandwich, but it was missing an element to really wake it up, like the rabe in Taylor's sandwich. The apple horseradish cream helps, but the cheese dispapears into the meat and there wasn't enough of the cream for it to be the lone counterpoint in the sandwich. The brisket itself, while saturated with meat juice, also managed to still be a bit dry in spots and the bread is very ordinary. A fried egg certainly would have helped the dryness, but also might have just added richness to an already rich sandwich. I think The Real Obama, which pairs the brisket with giardiniera and provolone might be a better call, though I have yet to try it. I did try--ONE--of the kettle chips and would not recommend that anyone else do so, unless he or she plans to get a full order. The one I got was very salty, but delicious. Instead of the chips, I got a side of dill pickle chips ($4), which was nice but overpriced.

Do you get the Pop's Beef Brisket ($12) with the fried egg (+$1)? I tried it without the egg and actually prefer Taylor's Pattison Avenue for that kind of a sandwich (recognizing, of course, that the latter is pork). Pop's brisket is a fine sandwich, but it was missing an element to really wake it up, like the rabe in Taylor's sandwich. The apple horseradish cream helps, but the cheese dispapears into the meat and there wasn't enough of the cream for it to be the lone counterpoint in the sandwich. The brisket itself, while saturated with meat juice, also managed to still be a bit dry in spots and the bread is very ordinary. A fried egg certainly would have helped the dryness, but also might have just added richness to an already rich sandwich. I think The Real Obama, which pairs the brisket with giardiniera and provolone might be a better call, though I have yet to try it. I did try--ONE--of the kettle chips and would not recommend that anyone else do so, unless he or she plans to get a full order. The one I got was very salty, but delicious. Instead of the chips, I got a side of dill pickle chips ($4), which was nice but overpriced.

I'm actually not a big fan of Taylor's...everything there tastes over-seasoned to me, so that could certainly explain our different reactions. I thought that both the cheese and the horseradish/apple/cream sauce added just enough to complement the brisket without overwhelming it. I didn't have the egg.

• Like 1

Just got back from lunch. I really liked my roast pork sandwich, even if a bit pricey at $14 ($12 for a whole, $2 for broccoli rabe). I also wish that they would mix the ingredients together before stuffing the sandwich (pet peeve of mine), but I was able to rectify that messily. Overall, I would say that it is quite good, but there is room for improvement. I think that they were heavy handed with the salt on the chips. I also think the prices were not only high, but sometimes not well thought out. It's $2 extra for broccoli rabe, whether you get a half or a whole, which doesn't make sense to me. They were JAMMED pretty much from 12:30 to 1:00 PM, some of that was simply the crowd, but I think that a good chunk of that was not being too swift with their process yet.

Like I said, I like it. I prefer it over Taylor, although it is tough judge since I have only been to Bub and Pop's once. I would say that the chivito is a better sub, but other things that I have had at TakEatEasy haven't been as good. I guess we are going to DC Po'Boy tomorrow to begin judgment on that place as well.

Now a bad bunch of competitors.

Now I have to go back and try everything else.

And the diet was going so well...

I walked by today and on the chalkboard sign it said "cheese steaks- today only" It was so tempting...but the diet won over. (this time) Also, they are now making their own Italian ice (Philadelphia Water Ice)

I had a half beef brisket sandwich (with fried egg) and a bag of potato chips today. A half sandwich here is a lot of food. I had a long walk back to my office, in a bit of drizzle, but the bread held up reasonably well, and the sandwich was delicious. The chips were unevenly seasoned--those that were lightly seasoned were really great, those that were over-seasoned were too salty. In retrospect, I should have shaken up the bag. I'd be happy to return here.

Philly Roast Pork should have the Rabe well-mixed with everything else imo. Pricing for the Rabe regardless of sammy size does seem a bit strange too.

Hmmm, me has to stop by here sometime (maybe late night post-drinking noshing when I'm not thinking about calories lol).

• Like 1

Somehow, despite working like 2 blocks away and walking near this place (typically up or down 18th or 19th or on M on the other side of the street) for the last few months, I was not aware of its existence until today. I saw someone mention it on Prince of Petworth, then remembered seeing a thread on it here. Since I was indecisive about lunch today, I gave it a shot.

I had a small version of The Real Obama ($8 - Italian beef Chicago style, slow braised beef brisket, giardinera, and aged provolone) and some house-made kettle chips ($2).

The sandwich was plenty of food for me for lunch, but it's not huge. $8 strikes me as a bit steep for the size. All the flavor components of the sandwich were good (juicy brisket, crunch vegetables with a tiny bit of spice, and tangy cheese), but it was ridiculously messy. The beef was piled into the crease of the bread with the cheese and giardinera on top, so the bottom half of the bread was soaked and probably 1/3 of the sandwich just fell out and I had to eat it with a fork after. I maybe would've preferred a little more spice in the giardinera as well. So I guess the verdict on this one is flavor = good but execution = something to be desired.

The chips are a pretty large serving (as in I shouldn't have eaten the whole bag by myself in one sitting), but were fresh and flavorful. I'm a salt-o-holic, but I could see how they would be over-seasoned for some folks. The grease soaking through the bag could also be off-putting, but I thought they were quite good. If I had been sharing with someone else I probably would've also gotten the French onion dip available for $3.

The woman running the register ("Bub" I presume) was friendly and helpful. I knew what I wanted, but she was very good about explaining different options to others in line. And she also came out to check with everyone who was dining in to see if they were enjoying their meal.

Somehow, despite working like 2 blocks away and walking near this place (typically up or down 18th or 19th or on M on the other side of the street) for the last few months, I was not aware of its existence until today. I saw someone mention it on Prince of Petworth, then remembered seeing a thread on it here. Since I was indecisive about lunch today, I gave it a shot.

I had a small version of The Real Obama ($8 - Italian beef Chicago style, slow braised beef brisket, giardinera, and aged provolone) and some house-made kettle chips ($2).

The sandwich was plenty of food for me for lunch, but it's not huge. $8 strikes me as a bit steep for the size. All the flavor components of the sandwich were good (juicy brisket, crunch vegetables with a tiny bit of spice, and tangy cheese), but it was ridiculously messy. The beef was piled into the crease of the bread with the cheese and giardinera on top, so the bottom half of the bread was soaked and probably 1/3 of the sandwich just fell out and I had to eat it with a fork after. I maybe would've preferred a little more spice in the giardinera as well. So I guess the verdict on this one is flavor = good but execution = something to be desired.

The chips are a pretty large serving (as in I shouldn't have eaten the whole bag by myself in one sitting), but were fresh and flavorful. I'm a salt-o-holic, but I could see how they would be over-seasoned for some folks. The grease soaking through the bag could also be off-putting, but I thought they were quite good. If I had been sharing with someone else I probably would've also gotten the French onion dip available for $3.

The woman running the register ("Bub" I presume) was friendly and helpful. I knew what I wanted, but she was very good about explaining different options to others in line. And she also came out to check with everyone who was dining in to see if they were enjoying their meal.

say hi next time! B)

It's easy to miss, especially since the construction on M St is right in front of them and hides an already hard to find spot. I stopped in today to get me some "wudder" ice--passion fruit. MMMMHHHHH. And yes, the woman at the front is quite nice; the entire operation is family and definitely a great place to support.

say hi next time! B)

It's easy to miss, especially since the construction on M St is right in front of them and hides an already hard to find spot.

Yes, I had originally noted (erroneously) that it's in the old Maoz space, but an alert member pointed out to me that it's next door.

say hi next time! B)

It's easy to miss, especially since the construction on M St is right in front of them and hides an already hard to find spot. I stopped in today to get me some "wudder" ice--passion fruit. MMMMHHHHH. And yes, the woman at the front is quite nice; the entire operation is family and definitely a great place to support.

Yes, I had originally noted (erroneously) that it's in the old Maoz space, but an alert member pointed out to me that it's next door.

Yeah, I had assumed it was where Maoz was when thinking of that block, but it's slightly closer to 18th. They did have a black sign out front though listing some of their offerings and specials, plus a couple of tables and chairs (if that helps you spot it). It's just after Ozio's when coming from 18th.

This plan for Bub's Sunday Table sounds ambitious - particularly the price. (Click for Washingtonian article). It's going to be a monthly 11 course pop-up dinner on Sundays, and the estimated price for most dinners with pairings is $200/person. Washingtonian says Chef/co-owner Taub plans to release more info by the end of the week.

:blink:

"Prices will also vary with the menus, but Taub estimates that most dinners (with pairings) will run $200 a head, comparable to tastings at Komi and CityZen."

Alert to all members: our monthly dues are going up next month to $35,000. I'll be checking from Musha Cay sometime next week to say hello - in the meantime, eat well, drink well, and cheers!

• Like 2

I went here for lunch today, this was my third time at Bub and Pop's. After thinking about it some, I also think that it will be my last time there.

Today wasn't particularly bad, nothing terrible happened, I just don't think that it is good enough to return to. I think that their prices are high for what you get, everything is oversalted, the menu reads much better than it tastes and all of the sandwiches are a mess (messiness doesn't equal flavor to me). Again, it is not bad, and they seem to be nice people trying to create a great sandwich shop, but it just isn't close enough to its' competition at this point.

• Like 1

I haven't been here yet, and I don't think I'll be able to afford it after I pay the $35,000 to keep my membership on this site, but I grew up in southeastern PA....there should be four absolutely perfect sandwiches in a place that represents itself as delivering Philly's best sandwiches.

Italian Hoagie - fellow Lancastrian Mark Ibold describes these well in the current issue of Lucky Peach. Check http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp269/chrisoc_2008/n42294432998_1132166_23571.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/What-Makes-the-Philadelphia-Italian-Hoagie-Different-m634807.aspx&h=453&w=604&sz=46&tbnid=oOCzjcP6EQzAmM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=120&zoom=1&usg=__uL2TftHRQ2BBZWukmSWMRCF6IfI=&docid=RTUYZxLB2qCUMM&sa=X&ei=Uby5Ud3wHILF0QG464CADQ&ved=0CEIQ9QEwAw&dur=751

Italian Pork - as mentioned above with the broccoli rabe mixed in, and with the juices flowing down your arms and dripping off your elbows. http://www.johnsroastpork.com/

The Schmitter - http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2011/06/16/cbps-most-popular-sandwich-the-schmitter/

Cheesesteak - the best version I have had to date was in Delaware. In Philly, it's Chubby's, Tony Luke's, Chink's or John's Roast Pork (where the cheesesteak is number two to the roast pork).

I cannot tell from the effusive posts in this thread if these four delights are well represented in Bub and Pop's -- bread is often the crucial differentiator -- but if they are, then I'm going there immediately after I buy a gift certificate for my cardiologist's services....

• Like 1

Had the Pops Beef Brisket sandwich (small size) today in the first of what will hopefully be many trips to this literally hidden gem (I almost walked right by it - signage could be much better). It was hands down a great sandwich - good bread that mostly held together, very juicy brisket, with a nice touch of horseradish cream sauce that was elevated by the small cubes of apple added. It reminded me of a really good french dip sandwich which is one of my favorites (pre-dipped without the side of jus though). I had 2 of the homemade chips by the register and they were good - even better with the onion dip. I thought the small sandwich was perfectly sized. It was better than stuffing myself on the whole Sundevich sandwich earlier this week (smaller amount helps with my lack of will power). I almost lost the willpower battle though and went back for another small after my meetings downtown. I kept thinking how this meeting is interesting, but that sandwich was great. The place seemed to be doing pretty good business around noon with a mix of eat in and carry out. I sat near the line and listened how people were bringing friends and telling them this place has the best [insert a different menu item] sandwich - so I guess I'll have to try to branch out, but it'll be tough that brisket was good.

After eating here 3 Tuesdays in a row, I would proclaim the Pork, Provolone and Broccoli Rabe with Hazelnut Gremolata the best sandwich in DC (for me).

I'm sure there are reasons to nitpick. Some might want the ingredients mixed (not me); some might care that they charge for rabe (not me). For my money, they are friendly people and the food is delicious and thoughtful with lots of smart touches without being "cheffy" (like I would say G and SundeVich are).

• Like 1

After eating here 3 Tuesdays in a row, I would proclaim the Pork, Provolone and Broccoli Rabe with Hazelnut Gremolata the best sandwich in DC (for me).

I'm sure there are reasons to nitpick. Some might want the ingredients mixed (not me); some might care that they charge for rabe (not me). For my money, they are friendly people and the food is delicious and thoughtful with lots of smart touches without being "cheffy" (like I would say G and SundeVich are).

I just finished a 'small' of the pork/provolone sandwich, and while I'm stuffed i wouldn't mind going back for a second. It's one of those sandwiches for which each bite is a little different--one bite a lot of pork, the next a strong provolone, the next the bread. Absolutely delicious. And they really are very friendly and appreciative to have my business. I haven't tried Capriotti's, across the street, but am swiftly becoming loyal to Bub and Pop's.

Back again for a small Italian Hoagie, which was good, but the real star of today's show was the raisin and butternut squash bread pudding. Absolutely delicious, and if you were to put this on a funky-shaped piece of china you could sell it for 8 bucks at any of the high-end restaurants in DC. At Bub and Pop's its $2.

• Like 1

From the Golden Triangle BID newsletter:

Most Creative Sandwich Special

Bub & Pop's 1815 M Street

Submit your best sandwich creation for a chance to win free sandwiches for you and a friend. Plus, get a special feature on Bub & Pop's menu. Drop-off your written entry at Bub & Pop's to enter to win. Don't forget to name your sandwich creation, and include your name with either your telephone number or email.

Kind of a schizophrenic thread.  Somes raves, some pretty bad experiences, and some "meh" posts as well.  I wonder if their quality is inconsistent, or if their stuff just has pretty narrow appeal somehow.  After a failed attempt to go to a (hopefully temporarily) closed Takeateasy, I tried Bub and Pop's for the first time today. I really liked the pork and broccoli rabe sandwich.  Sure they probably soak the meats in juice to mask potential dryness in the pork itself, but the overall effect is still great, and the rabe and gremolata provide a great contrast to the very flavorful, juicy meat.  Everything was successful about this sandwich in my mind except for the bread, which really sucked, frankly. No appreciable crust to speak of at all.  The "DC" style clam chowder they had as a daily special had a delicious creamy tomato-based broth, but not many clams to speak of.  Finally, feeling my meal was wanting for calories and that I wouldn't make it through the afternoon otherwise, I opted for dessert as well: an individual-sized chocolate bread pudding that was really, really delicious.

Oh, and as many mentioned upthread, the folks here are really, really pleasant people.

Looking forward to coming back.

• Like 1

Kind of a schizophrenic thread.  Somes raves, some pretty bad experiences, and some "meh" posts as well.  I wonder if their quality is inconsistent, or if their stuff just has pretty narrow appeal somehow.  After a failed attempt to go to a (hopefully temporarily) closed Takeateasy, I tried Bub and Pop's for the first time today. I really liked the pork and broccoli rabe sandwich.  Sure they probably soak the meats in juice to mask potential dryness in the pork itself, but the overall effect is still great, and the rabe and gremolata provide a great contrast to the very flavorful, juicy meat.  Everything was successful about this sandwich in my mind except for the bread, which really sucked, frankly. No appreciable crust to speak of at all.  The "DC" style clam chowder they had as a daily special had a delicious creamy tomato-based broth, but not many clams to speak of.  Finally, feeling my meal was wanting for calories and that I wouldn't make it through the afternoon otherwise, I opted for dessert as well: an individual-sized chocolate bread pudding that was really, really delicious.

Oh, and as many mentioned upthread, the folks here are really, really pleasant people.

Looking forward to coming back.

John's Roast Pork soaks their pork in juice as well.

I haven't read through all these posts in awhile, but I trust Jonathan and remember him raving about this sandwich (I'm deliberately typing this before going back and reading the other posts - I don't remember who wrote what).

I tried to go here last Saturday for this very sandwich, but could find no parking.

But the sandwiches I've had at the DC branch have all been good and they're significantly better than anything I've eaten from Bub & Pops, which is directly across the street.

I'm sure Capriotti's is good, but next time the line is 40 deep, roll on over to Bub and Pop's. 

I ate and Bub and Pops for the first time today, wow I was impressed. Much better than that New Orleans Po Boy shop that was around the corner. I ordered the Pop's Beef Brisket with horseradish, gouda, with a special order of a fried egg, on a really soft roll, it is one of the better sandwiches I have had in DC ($8 for half sandwich, $13 for the whole). My friend had the Real Obama sandwich: beef brisket, giardinera, and provolone. He is a better judge than I of food, and he also was really impressed. Must be nice to work nearby if this is a downgrade from across the street!

I actually like Capriotti's, for a sub chain. They're definitely above average, and very consistent. That said, I have been remiss in not correcting my post above re: Bub & Pop's. I didn't think they were very good when they first opened. There was potential, but everything just seemed to miss the mark, like sandwiches that managed to be wet and sloppy, yet contain dry, over-braised meat at the same time. Whether I was just exceedingly unlucky or they've improved, I don't know. But, based on numerous visits the past few months, I'd rank Bub and Pop's among the best sandwich places in the city. Capriotti's is just "good for what it is."

From the Capriotti's thread.

I'm pissed that I stopped by Bub and Pop's today on my way to see Spotlight in Georgetown with the wife.  I annoyingly had the roast pork with rabe, and a few bites of my wife's Italian hoagie.  My potential walkable lunch/easy dinner options near home on H St. NE just shrunk as I'll never be able to justify buying a sandwich at Taylor Gourmet again after the deliciousness I had today.  Dupont is a schlep, but I'll be back.

• Like 3

I echo the sentiments of the beef brisket-the horseradish and gouda are the perfect toppings for this very tender meat. My dining partner had, essentially, the meat ball sandwich and loved it too! I wish they had hours more conducive though to someone who is not often in this area during their operating hours.

Reading about the closing of Taylor Gourmet reminded me that I hadn't been there for some time because Bub and Pop's was close, and so much better. 

Which, in turn, reminded me that I hadn't been to Bub and Pop's in some some time either. 

I remedied that today, and it's still fantastic, at least based on the Italian Hoagie.

I wish they used plain lettuce instead of arugula, but other than that it's pretty much a perfect sandwich. 

Keep in mind that I never do take out there, as all their sandwiches tend to be pretty messy, and turn into a soggy, but delicious, mess during the five minutes it takes to get back to my office. 

A few obvious tourists, gaping at at the Guy Fieri pictures, is about the only change from the last time I was there. 

Lucky to have this place. 

• Like 1

I have been a long, long-time fan of Bub and Pop's, but haven't been there for a while for two reasons: 1) for some reason, I can't get over the mental block that they are very unhealthy, even though they can't be much more unhealthy than other sandwiches I have for lunch, and 2) their large sandwiches are $18, which must be the most expensive in the city.  I know they use very high-quality ingredients and rent is high in that part of town and they're a small business, etc. etc. but that is a very expensive sandwich. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, funkyfood said:

I have been a long, long-time fan of Bub and Pop's, but haven't been there for a while for two reasons: 1) for some reason, I can't get over the mental block that they are very unhealthy, even though they can't be much more unhealthy than other sandwiches I have for lunch, and 2) their large sandwiches are $18, which must be the most expensive in the city.  I know they use very high-quality ingredients and rent is high in that part of town and they're a small business, etc. etc. but that is a very expensive sandwich. 

They are a bit pricey, but I'm a pretty big eater, and I find that the half sandwiches (which tend to be around $10) are more than enough for lunch. 

• Like 3

Bub and Pops just reopened after a few weeks of renovations. No eat-in at the moment, it's all take-out...orders and pick up both from the front windows. They have a handful of small tables out front to eat at. 

And I highly recommend eating at those tables. The sandwiches are as wonderful as ever, but they still have structural integrity issues...the bread is normally soaked through and falling apart by the time I get to my office a few blocks away. 

• Thanks 1