La Tomate, North Dupont Circle

My boyfriend and I love dining out on Valentine's Day. Even though I KNOW its the "novice" day for eating at restaurants, there is something about it that I love. That said, every year we try to go somewhere new. Neither of us have been to I Ricchi. Has anyone been? Any comments? Any other ideas of nice romantic restaurants? (Because of it being a weekday and because of work, the restaurant needs to be in DC).

I think Tomate over in Dupont is a nice little romatic Italian eatery. It is comfortable and cozy and my husband and I have never had a bad meal there. Check out this link for more info: http://www.americascuisine.com/washington/latomate.html

Unlike you, I had a bad meal there. Tonight. And my friend and I had quite low expectations going in.

A bland pounded pork chop (him) and a truly awful spinach fettucine bolognese. Badness all around. My pasta's poor little strandes were glued together and then topped with a gloppy Chef Boyardee-like sauce.

Unlike you, I had a bad meal there. Tonight. And my friend and I had quite low expectations going in.

A bland pounded pork chop (him) and a truly awful spinach fettucine bolognese. Badness all around. My pasta's poor little strandes were glued together and then topped with a gloppy Chef Boyardee-like sauce.

My experiences weren't quite that bad, but it's overpriced for what it is (and it isn't THAT expensive, so that's saying something). Sette has faults of its own, but it's a far better choice for Italian on that block. I can't see ever returning to Tomate.

We wound up at La Tomate our last night in DC because my SO's boss wanted Italian, we had a mob from the convention & tables for 10 in the area weren't easy to come by that particular evening. On my own, I'd have opted for Afghan Grill up in Woodley Park based on a walk-by on my way to the Nat'l Zoo & reinforced by the comments I've read here since, but that'll have to wait.

There was nothing objectionable about the food any of us had other than the fact that, like many restaurants, the place tends to use too much oil in their cooking, but there was little that was memorable either. The appetizer of spinach, mushrooms & garlic that I had was quite good, a pleasant way to start a meal. A month later, I've forgotten what my entree was. Service was good & the atmosphere of the place was nice. We don't drink, but one of our companions who is a serious wine head was very happy with whatever red he chose from their offerings.