Han Sung Oak, Barcroft Plaza in Falls Church - Kun Hei Rhee's Korean on Columbia Pike - Closed

I wound up doing a reconaissance mission to Han Sung Oak yesterday. I had lunch there with 2 coworkers and enjoyed it. We are going to hold our group function there.

For lunch we went with some Korean barbecue/grill choices so that we could see what our group might expect. They do have an extensive lunch menu that looked very reasonable - about 20 choices all under $10.

We chose the bulgogi and a seafood soup for 2. The panchan (about 9 in all) were good. I especially liked the yellow beans - small and chewy with a little bit of sweetness.

I think the bulgogi was about what you'd expect - grilled meat, good flavor. The seafood soup was loaded with all sorts of seafood - and one mystery ingredient (if anyone can identify this I'll be eternally grateful). Our waitress called it a sea mushroom and the maitre(sse) d' called it "mi do do" in Korean. 2 coworkers with Korean parents didn't recognize it and neither did one of the parents. It was a 'sac' -for lack of a better term - that reminded me a bit of a mushy grape and burst when you bit into it. It had a sort of cellulose texture and not any real distinct flavor to speak of. I'm not a huge fan of the seafood soup - just too much going on with nothing very interesting other than the variety.

Anyway - the service was good, surroundings pleasant, and they have a large private room with burners at the tables so it will work for our group. I'll report back after - hopefully I'll get to try a few more dishes.

Han Sung Oak isn't the oldest dinosaur in the forest (that would probably be Songbird), but it sure seems like it's getting to be a relic. Panchan which might have been interesting ten years ago are run-of-the-mill today, and Wooguji Hae Jang Cook ($10.95), a spicy cabbage and beef soup, was bland and not memorable at all. However, the Gal Bi ($21.95) was plentiful and well-seasoned, cut with longer bones than I usually see. Barbecue may be the way I'll go here next time.

Cheers,
Rocks.

Time for Han Sung Oak to join the the restaurants in the little font, it is closed according to the Annandale VA blog: "The restaurant will not reopen because it will be too expensive to bring the system into compliance..."

That's too bad that they're closed.  :(

They've got to be one of the oldest Korean restaurants in the area (now that Songbird and Secret Garden closed) - does anyone know when they opened, and if any place is any older that hasn't changed buildings (i.e., Woo Lae Oak or Hee Been)? Maybe Yechon, or somewhere in Montgomery County?

Sadly it's true.  We did close at the end of August.  Though retirement is good for the family, it was a little abrupt due to the County deciding that our table top grills and portable grills were no longer up to code, even though we passed inspection every year.  Apparently they didn't slap the red tag on many other restaurants using the same equipment so we're a little confused to say the least.

To answer an earlier question, we opened in 1993 (or 1994).  Really took pride in providing what we believed to be the most authentic Korean food experience for our customers and community.  I'm not just saying this because I'm family, but I think we really did have the best food in the area.  And you know there are tons of options in the Annandale/Falls Church area.

Really sad that we no longer have the restaurant, but maybe now my dad will share his secret recipes with me, or at least still cook for me.

• Like 2

Sadly it's true.  We did close at the end of August.  Though retirement is good for the family, it was a little abrupt due to the County deciding that our table top grills and portable grills were no longer up to code, even though we passed inspection every year.  Apparently they didn't slap the red tag on many other restaurants using the same equipment so we're a little confused to say the least.

To answer an earlier question, we opened in 1993 (or 1994).  Really took pride in providing what we believed to be the most authentic Korean food experience for our customers and community.  I'm not just saying this because I'm family, but I think we really did have the best food in the area.  And you know there are tons of options in the Annandale/Falls Church area.

Really sad that we no longer have the restaurant, but maybe now my dad will share his secret recipes with me, or at least still cook for me.

I'm sorry about this. :(

[Another small note: I don't know what on earth I was thinking when I wrote "touristy" in the title - I must have confused Han Sung Oak with Hee Been when I originally wrote it (and this is coming from someone who used to live in Annandale and has been to every Korean restaurant in the area). I'm sorry about the mistake - well anyway, it's off the title now, and will auto-correct on Google within a few days. I was last at your famiiy's restaurant perhaps two years ago, having enjoyed dinner with my son, and I remember exactly where we sat.]