What To Do With A Hanging Tender

RaisaB

HELP! I bought a Hanging Tender cut at Super H. I know it is supposed to be a Hanger steak, but it looks funny. What do I do to it to make it look right? It obviously hasnt been cut or trimmed like Sutton used to do for me. Anyone care to help me, quick? Thank you.

102_0520.jpg

102_0521.jpg

Edited to add graphic pictures.

Edited by RaisaB

HELP! I bought a Hanging Tender cut at Super H. I know it is supposed to be a Hanger steak, but it looks funny. What do I do to it to make it look right? It obviously hasnt been cut or trimmed like Sutton used to do for me. Anyone care to help me, quick? Thank you.

102_0520.jpg

102_0521.jpg

Edited to add graphic pictures.

You need to PM Michael Landrum.

You need to separate it into two steaks. Looking at your photos, what you want to do is cut along the center bit of gristle that is parallel to the long side of the meat. You will remove this, yielding two steaks of approximately equal size. Then you can trim the fat off if you wish.

I've done that with a couple of hanging tenders from the Grand Mart in Sterling. At $2.39 a pound, we're very impressed.

I am so proud of myself! No one responded before dinner so I took it upon myself to figure out what to do. Turns out I did exactly as Polly said. I trimmed all the fat, seperated into two steaks, seared it to medium rare on my grill. It was awesome! I will post some after pictures in a bit, if I can figure out how to make them smaller.

Edited by RaisaB

Super H and my local Korean meat place don't seem to carry the hanging tenders anymore. Has anyone seen them at any otheer Korean market? Thanks!

Some of the Grandmarts carry them. My Sterling Grandmart dropped them, but the E-mart/International Foods (Grandmart) in Reston Tall Oaks had them the last time I looked. My freezer is stocked with several, trimmed and separated prior to freezing. We like to use a teriyaki marinade (soy, sake, honey, ginger, & garlic) and then grill about 3-4 minutes per side, leaving them quite red inside.

Super H and my local Korean meat place don't seem to carry the hanging tenders anymore. Has anyone seen them at any otheer Korean market? Thanks!
Believe it or not, Balducci's carries them, and at a reasonable price of only $8/lb. Beats the hell out of NY Strip at $17/lb.