Cupcakes

mktye

All of the discussion regarding cupcakes is making me crave them (tasty ones, not dry, cold ones) and since I have a bunch of very ripe bananas languishing on my table, I'm going to make some banana cupcakes this afternoon using this recipe. The recipe does not specify what kind of flour, but I've made cakes with it using both bleached AP and cake and I like the cake flour version the best. And I find that the 1 cup of sour cream does an excellent job of producing a moist cake. :)

I plan to frost the cupcakes with a cream cheese frosting (recipe TBD and dependent on if I make it to the grocery store today to buy cream cheese) or some vanilla buttercream (recipe from Fribergs's "The Professional Pastry Chef") that is in my freezer.

So what are your favorite recipes for cupcakes?

well, not answering your actual question, but may I recommend a chocolate/sour cream frosting for that banana cupcake? I've made that same recipe and thought it quite good (I think I modified the instructions for how to mix the ingredients to more of an RLB type approach, but don't remember for sure). Regardless, i love chocolate and banana together. I've found that a chocolate sour cream frosting is just wonderful on banana cake. Hmmm, thinking about the black frozen bananas in my fridge and what they might want to become.....[drool]

Basic White Cupcakes (origin unknown):

1 2/3 c sugar

3/4 c butter

1 1/8 c milk (whole)

1 t vanilla

5 egg whites

2 1/2 c sifted cake flour

1 t salt

4 1/2 t baking powder

Sift dry ingredients together.

Beat four egg whites to very soft peak stage.

Cream butter and sugar.

Beat in the other egg white and vanilla.

Add dry ingredients alternately with milk (1/3 dry, 1/2 milk, 1/3dry, 1/2 milk, 1/3 dry).

Fold in beaten egg whites.

Spoon into paper/foil cupcake cups and bake at 375 for about 15 minutes.

Note: these will come out very dry if you overbeat the egg whites. The original recipe called for beating all 5 whites, but I found that the mixing is easier (and therefore less prone to overmixing) if you mix in one unbeaten white as described above.

Basic Cream Cheese Icing:

6 oz cream cheese

6 oz butter

most of a box of confectioner's sugar

about 1 t vanilla

Beat together until smooth.

I felt Betty Crockerish today and made these banana cupcakes. I made them with a mixture of Creme Fraiche and Fromage Blanc as opposed to sour cream. (just because I have alot of both) I frosted them with the cream cheese frosting. I had one little itsy bitsy bite as I am trying to lose some lbs here. :) But they are delicious! Very moist and light as oppsed to thick and dense. The kids will love them after dinner. (look at braised beef thread later).

Edited by RaisaB

I felt Betty Crockerish today and made these banana cupcakes. I  made them with a mixture of Creme Fraiche and Fromage  Blanc as opposed to sour cream. (just because I have alot of both) I frosted them with the cream cheese frosting. I had one little itsy bitsy bite as I am trying to lose some lbs here. :) But they are delicious! Very moist and light as oppsed to thick and dense. The kids will love them after dinner. (look at braised beef thread later).
I'm glad they turned out well for you Raisa! They are definitely a cake-type product and not like banana bread or muffins in texture.

I ate two cupcakes warm out of the oven and only stopped there so I would not totally ruin my appetite for dinner. I'm off to frost them right now (turns out I had a package of cream cheese hiding in my basement refrigerator, so I didn't even have to go to the store). :o

All of the discussion regarding cupcakes is making me crave them (tasty ones, not dry, cold ones) and since I have a bunch of very ripe bananas languishing on my table, I'm going to make some banana cupcakes this afternoon using this recipe.  The recipe does not specify what kind of flour, but I've made cakes with it using both bleached AP and cake and I like the cake flour version the best.  And I find that the 1 cup of sour cream does an excellent job of producing a moist cake. :lol:

Craving banana cake after having some at Billy's Bakery in NYC a few weeks ago, I made this recipe last night. It is a great cake - my only mistake seems to have been not using parchment or waxed paper lining in the pans. I buttered and floured my nonstick round cake pans and the cake ended up sticking to the bottom big time! So we just ate lumps of cake with cream cheese frosting - not pretty, but tasty!

Edited by AlliK

For the office holiday party, I made miniature cupcakes using the chocolate sheet cake recipe from Baking Illustrated and iced them with peppermint buttercream. They were very good -- dense, moist, more fudgy than chocolaty (probably due to reduced size). I also recall shortening the baking time to 12 - 15 minutes.

Paraphrased recipe

3/4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa

1-1/4 cups unbleached AP flour

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/4 tsp. salt

8 oz. semisweet chocolate (I think I used Scharffen Berger 65%)

12 Tbs. butter

4 large eggs

1-1/2 cups sugar

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1 cup buttermilk (I used powder)

Preheat oven to 325.

Sift cocoa, flour, baking soda, and salt in bowl

Melt together butter and chocolate in separate bowl.

Whisk together eggs, sugar, and vanilla. Whisk in buttermilk until smooth.

Whisk chocolate mixture into egg mixture until combined. Whisk dry ingredients into chocolate/egg mixture until smooth and glossy.

Pour into cupcake tin and bake 15-20 minutes (I would suspect)

Craving banana cake after having some at Billy's Bakery in NYC a few weeks ago, I made this recipe last night.  It is a great cake - my only mistake seems to have been not using parchment or waxed paper lining in the pans.  I buttered and floured my nonstick round cake pans and the cake ended up sticking to the bottom big time!  So we just ate lumps of cake with cream cheese frosting - not pretty, but tasty!

I made this cake today, with buttermilk instead of sour cream. It's delicious, but next time I will bake two round instead of a 9x13. The inside was still sqidgy after the rest is cooked.

All of the discussion regarding cupcakes is making me crave them (tasty ones, not dry, cold ones) and since I have a bunch of very ripe bananas languishing on my table, I'm going to make some banana cupcakes this afternoon using this recipe.  The recipe does not specify what kind of flour, but I've made cakes with it using both bleached AP and cake and I like the cake flour version the best.  And I find that the 1 cup of sour cream does an excellent job of producing a moist cake. :lol:

I plan to frost the cupcakes with a cream cheese frosting (recipe TBD and dependent on if I make it to the grocery store today to buy cream cheese) or some vanilla buttercream (recipe from Fribergs's "The Professional Pastry Chef") that is in my freezer.

So what are your favorite recipes for cupcakes?

My favorite is from the Magnolia Bakery Cookbook...the traditional vanilla birthday cake. They always turn out perfect with the buttercream frosting. Maybe sounds boring to some, but I never get tired of them. I also have a recipe for something that tastes like the Hostess chocolate cupcakes that is really rich and decadent. if you are interested PM me and I'll send you the recipe.

I tried the recipe for Billy's Bakery vanilla cupcakes with vanilla buttercream frosting (recipe here)

This recipe calls for mixing the butter with the flour first and then adding the liquid ingrdients. I ended up with 24 cupcakes rather than 30, though my cupcakes had a little dome on top.

The cupcakes have a fluffy texture. They don't have alot of vanilla flavor, but they're good if you're in the mood for a lighter cake.

I'm in search of a vanilla frosting recipe that will be room temperature stable. I have to send cupcakes to school for my daughter's birthday and the ingredients on the pre-made frostings give me the the heebie jeebies. We normally do ganache or buttercreams at home but I don't think they would hold up too great at school.

ETA: How would a cream cheese/powdered sugar frosting hold up for 6 hours? Would I need to worry about giving a bunch of 3 year olds food poisoning?

I'm in search of a vanilla frosting recipe that will be room temperature stable. I have to send cupcakes to school for my daughter's birthday and the ingredients on the pre-made frostings give me the the heebie jeebies. We normally do ganache or buttercreams at home but I don't think they would hold up too great at school.

A few suggestions for possible approaches:

1) Don't frost the cupcakes.

2) Use marshmallow Fluff and colored sprinkles

3) Make a buttercream frosting, frost the cupcakes and freeze them overnight. Take them in frozen and by the time they are eaten, they will have defrosted, but the frosting won't have totally melted.

4) Bring them in a cooler with blue ice in it.

Hope something in there might work for you.

How would a cream cheese/powdered sugar frosting hold up for 6 hours?
I think this would hold up well and taste good (although the cream cheese/vanilla combo might be a bit weird). Plus, children are not as turned off by the tooth-aching sweetness of the heavy-on-the-powdered-sugar frostings.

I disagree with zora on the marshmallow fluff idea--even as a child I detested the stuff. To each their own.

I disagree with zora on the marshmallow fluff idea--even as a child I detested the stuff. To each their own.

To tell you the truth, I've never even tasted Fluff. I've just heard about kids loving Fluffernutter sandwiches, and was just throwing ideas against the wall to see if anything would stick. That idea, apparently, was "off the wall" ! :)

I ended up going with a simple cream cheese frosting. One stick of butter, one package of cream cheese, beaten with enough powdered sugar to have a nice consistency. We colored the frosting a lovely pink with some gel color and topped with rainbow colored sprinkles. The frosting held up fine sitting at room temp for a half day at daycare.

Oh, and it was also delicious!

I tried the recipe for Billy's Bakery vanilla cupcakes with vanilla buttercream frosting (recipe here)

This recipe calls for mixing the butter with the flour first and then adding the liquid ingrdients. I ended up with 24 cupcakes rather than 30, though my cupcakes had a little dome on top.

The cupcakes have a fluffy texture. They don't have alot of vanilla flavor, but they're good if you're in the mood for a lighter cake.

For some reason the Billy's Bakery cupcake recipe noted above recipe is no longer accessible on MarthaStewart.com. Anyone know where I can find it? I want to bake them for Peanut's third birthday bash is next weekend. Thanks!

For some reason the Billy's Bakery cupcake recipe noted above recipe is no longer accessible on MarthaStewart.com. Anyone know where I can find it? I want to bake them for Peanut's third birthday bash is next weekend. Thanks!

Here's an updated link to the vanilla cupcake recipe on Martha Stewart's site. Also fyi, although the recipe says to add butter, mixing til just coated with flour, I think that's misleading because it makes it sound like you don't mix it much. The video shows them running the mixer longer. I mixed the butter with the flour until it was crumbly because I thought otherwise I'd end up with chunks of melted butter in the cupcake. I'm pretty sure I also went with the 1 tbls of baking powder as listed on the recipe rather than the 2 that he mentions in the video.

Here's also a link to the Cupcake Queen's blog on making these cupcakes.

Vietnamese Coffee Cupcakes

I've become addicted to Iced Vietnamese Coffee (cafe sua da) and get it every time we go out for Pho. I'm currently on a quest to create the perfect recipe for this drink at home, and found this cupcake recipe in my search. These sound really good, but I have to work on the drink recipe before I can move on to the cupcakes! (the cake looks a little dry in the pictures to me, but the end result looks enticing enough that I think I'll try it in the future) If anyone else has tried this or another recipe like it, I'd be interested in seeing it.

My favorite is from the Magnolia Bakery Cookbook...the traditional vanilla birthday cake. They always turn out perfect with the buttercream frosting. Maybe sounds boring to some, but I never get tired of them.
Apparently this is the recipe that Stacy's uses. Overheard a woman there saying she'd asked Stacy for the recipe and was told it was the Magnolia recipe. The interesting twist Stacy's puts on it, though, is using almond extract in the icing.

Here's an updated link to the vanilla cupcake recipe on Martha Stewart's site. Also fyi, although the recipe says to add butter, mixing til just coated with flour, I think that's misleading because it makes it sound like you don't mix it much. The video shows them running the mixer longer. I mixed the butter with the flour until it was crumbly because I thought otherwise I'd end up with chunks of melted butter in the cupcake. I'm pretty sure I also went with the 1 tbls of baking powder as listed on the recipe rather than the 2 that he mentions in the video.

Thanks for the help with the cupcake recipes. Peanut's big 3 birthday was a rousing success. JPW made pizza with the kids and my cupcakes turned out very well. I LOVE Billy's recipe. The cakes are moist and not too light or too heavy. I used Ghiradelli (sp?) chocolate chips for the chocolate buttercream icing, which was delish. Although the kids devoured the cupcakes, none of the parents wanted any--LOSERS! :angry: More for me and Peanut! (JPW's not a dessert guy) I have, oh, I don't know, a dozen in my freezer. I don't know if you should freeze cipcakes after the are baked and iced (all the bakers are cringing now I can feel it). We'll see what happens....

I also used this recipe to make vanilla cupcakes. Having read the Cupcake Queen's blog in advance, I cut back on the baking powder to 2 tsp. instead of using 1 Tbsp, as called for in the recipe. And I also felt very uncomfortable about adding chunks of butter to all of the pre-mixed dry ingredients. I did it more like a standard cake method--creaming the butter and sugar, adding the eggs and then the flour and liquid in three parts. Also, since I didn't have any whole milk in the house, I substituted vanilla almond milk--which also punched up the vanilla flavor. I think if I do it again with almond milk, I'll use the larger amound of baking powder. The cupcakes were a little bit on the dense side, but delicious. I made a buttercream frosting with manjar, which is a very thick dulce de leche that my daughter brought back from Ecuador. Since it is very sweet, I cut way back on the powdered sugar. Then, concerned that the buttercream would lack the bulk and starch component provided by the powdered sugar, I added about 1/4 cup of sweet rice flour, which is similar to cornstarch. I was a little worried that the frosting might seem gritty because of it, but it was really good.

And I also felt very uncomfortable about adding chunks of butter to all of the pre-mixed dry ingredients.

In the video, Billy credits Rose Levy Berenbaum in this method of adding the soft butter to the dry ingredients. It's called the two-stage method, and there's some description from Rose Levy Berenbaum's blog here. It's also in her Cake Bible. Cook's Illustrated also describes the method (click) - this isn't the entire article/recipe but discusses some of the two-stage method. The recipies I've used that have this method (Billy's vanilla cupcakes, Rose Levy Beranbaum's yellow downey cake, and a yellow cupcake recipe from my Small Batch Baking cookbook) have all resulted in cakes that have a lighter, cake mix like texture.

In the video, Billy credits Rose Levy Berenbaum in this method of adding the soft butter to the dry ingredients. It's called the two-stage method, and there's some description from Rose Levy Berenbaum's blog here. It's also in her Cake Bible. Cook's Illustrated also describes the method (click) - this isn't the entire article/recipe but discusses some of the two-stage method. The recipies I've used that have this method (Billy's vanilla cupcakes, Rose Levy Beranbaum's yellow downey cake, and a yellow cupcake recipe from my Small Batch Baking cookbook) have all resulted in cakes that have a lighter, cake mix like texture.

Thanks for the link. I have no more fear! I actually have *The Cake Bible* by RLB, but obviously have not used it enough to have absorbed that technique. In fact, the only recipe I have used it for is the Cordon Rose Cheesecake, which I have made many times. I just don't do very much in the way of cake baking.

Thanks for the help with the cupcake recipes. Peanut's big 3 birthday was a rousing success. JPW made pizza with the kids and my cupcakes turned out very well. I LOVE Billy's recipe. The cakes are moist and not too light or too heavy. I used Ghiradelli (sp?) chocolate chips for the chocolate buttercream icing, which was delish. Although the kids devoured the cupcakes, none of the parents wanted any--LOSERS! B) More for me and Peanut! (JPW's not a dessert guy) I have, oh, I don't know, a dozen in my freezer. I don't know if you should freeze cipcakes after the are baked and iced (all the bakers are cringing now I can feel it). We'll see what happens....

Let me be the first to offer up my services to help you determine if those cupcakes freeze well or not! :angry:

Thanks for the help with the cupcake recipes. Peanut's big 3 birthday was a rousing success...I don't know if you should freeze cipcakes after the are baked and iced (all the bakers are cringing now I can feel it). We'll see what happens....

I didn't see this post until now-I'm glad Peanut's cupcakes worked out! Freezing the baked and iced cupcakes should be fine as long as they're wrapped well in the freezer. I've frozen leftover frosted cake before (as well as the top of my wedding cake of course :angry:), and I moved it to the fridge the day before to defrost (although I would also put it out at room temperature to defrost faster if I wanted cake now and hadn't planned ahead. B)) Being small, the cupcakes shouldn't take long to defrost.

In the video, Billy credits Rose Levy Berenbaum in this method of adding the soft butter to the dry ingredients. It's called the two-stage method,

This method is given as the alternate to the creaming method in Betty Crocker's Picture Cook Book, copyright 1950.

Laugh if you want to, but the cake/cupcake recipes in this book are wonderful. I found out yesterday that a certain baking goddess from 'round here :blink: likes that book, too.

I made the "lusciously lemon cupcakes" from the District Domestic blog (recipe here), and people really liked them. I was going to be making the cupcakes the day before the party so I was looking for a recipe that would stay moist through the next day. There's a chocolate cake that I make that stays moist for a few days, and that recipe calls for sour cream so this recipe looked promising since it also calls for sour cream (I have no real evidence that sour cream makes a difference, just a feeling).

I was making other flavor cupcakes so I only made half this recipe (it calls for 3 eggs so I put in 1 egg plus I mixed up another egg and poured in approximately half of it - I just eyeballed it). The day they're baked, they had a lighter cakey texture, and the second day they were denser but still moist. I used a vanilla confectioners sugar frosting instead of the lemon frosting.

Basic White Cupcakes (origin unknown):

1 2/3 c sugar

3/4 c butter

1 1/8 c milk (whole)

1 t vanilla

5 egg whites

2 1/2 c sifted cake flour

1 t salt

4 1/2 t baking powder

Sift dry ingredients together.

Beat four egg whites to very soft peak stage.

Cream butter and sugar.

Beat in the other egg white and vanilla.

Add dry ingredients alternately with milk (1/3 dry, 1/2 milk, 1/3dry, 1/2 milk, 1/3 dry).

Fold in beaten egg whites.

Spoon into paper/foil cupcake cups and bake at 375 for about 15 minutes.

Note: these will come out very dry if you overbeat the egg whites. The original recipe called for beating all 5 whites, but I found that the mixing is easier (and therefore less prone to overmixing) if you mix in one unbeaten white as described above.

Basic Cream Cheese Icing:

6 oz cream cheese

6 oz butter

most of a box of confectioner's sugar

about 1 t vanilla

Beat together until smooth.

So I am currently obsessed with making cupcakes. I made my first two batches last week. Last night I made a batch of mini-chocolate cupcakes to take to a function tonight. What I really want to make though are plain vanilla cupcakes. I am going to try your recipe but I have two questions... (1) why does it call for so many egg whites? (2) why does it seem so much more intimidating to make vanilla cupcakes than chocolate?

Thanks in advance for your answers... :lol:

So I am currently obsessed with making cupcakes. I made my first two batches last week. Last night I made a batch of mini-chocolate cupcakes to take to a function tonight.
Did you make the chocolate cupcakes with strawberries for the picnic? If so, is that recipe posted anywhere? Thanks. I'm not that fond of chocolate but liked those cupcakes.

I have two questions... (1) why does it call for so many egg whites?

Beats me. Mom had this recipe around forever; I remember making it when I was in junior high school. It's probably the egg whites that give it such a light texture and high rise - the effect is almost like a rich angel food cake - but I warn again that it is very easy to have it come out dry dry dry. Do not overbeat the egg whites, do not overmix, spoon the batter into the cups very carefully and do not overfill, do not overbake... It's a great cake (cupcake) when done correctly.

Did you make the chocolate cupcakes with strawberries for the picnic? If so, is that recipe posted anywhere? Thanks. I'm not that fond of chocolate but liked those cupcakes.
Why thank you! I did make them. I used Droste cocoa powder which I bought at the Brookville market in Woodley Park. I used a recipe from the Cupcake Blog. I tripled it! Note, that such tripling is not necessary for the ganache recipe. I still have leftover ganache and I have made 32 cupcakes!

recipe

Why thank you! I did make them. I used Droste cocoa powder which I bought at the Brookville market in Woodley Park. I used a recipe from the Cupcake Blog. I tripled it! Note, that such tripling is not necessary for the ganache recipe. I still have leftover ganache and I have made 32 cupcakes!

recipe

Thanks for the recipe. I will make a note not to multiply the ganache :lol:.

I made the "lusciously lemon cupcakes" from the District Domestic blog (recipe here), and people really liked them. I was going to be making the cupcakes the day before the party so I was looking for a recipe that would stay moist through the next day. There's a chocolate cake that I make that stays moist for a few days, and that recipe calls for sour cream so this recipe looked promising since it also calls for sour cream (I have no real evidence that sour cream makes a difference, just a feeling).

I was making other flavor cupcakes so I only made half this recipe (it calls for 3 eggs so I put in 1 egg plus I mixed up another egg and poured in approximately half of it - I just eyeballed it). The day they're baked, they had a lighter cakey texture, and the second day they were denser but still moist. I used a vanilla confectioners sugar frosting instead of the lemon frosting.

I need to make a couple of dozen cupcakes for a bridal shower next week, and I wanted to make 2 kinds. NCPinDC's chocolate strawberry version will be excellent, but I'd like to make more than 8. I'm thinking of doubling that one and making half of these lemon cupcakes. I'm glad I came back and checked here, because I wanted to make lemon cupcakes and hadn't found a recipe yet :lol:. I'm wondering if maybe 2 medium eggs would work for half of 3 large?

Speaking of cupcakes... This weekend I was in Macy's and saw something that I really really really wanted. It wasn't jewelry, clothes or shoes. No, it was a Martha Stewart cupcake carrier that accommodates full and mini cupcakes. I made a deal with myself that if the device was $29.99 or lower, I could buy it. Unfortunately, it was $39.99. Go sales!
I have something similar that I got at Bed Beth & Beyond for less then that and they are always sending out the 20% off coupons. Works like a charm. Now I'm coveting one of the double decker models I saw at Target for maybe $20 because I rarely tote only 12 cupcakes. Don't think that one had mini-cupcake though.

I need to make a couple of dozen cupcakes for a bridal shower next week, and I wanted to make 2 kinds. NCPinDC's chocolate strawberry version will be excellent, but I'd like to make more than 8. I'm thinking of doubling that one and making half of these lemon cupcakes. I'm glad I came back and checked here, because I wanted to make lemon cupcakes and hadn't found a recipe yet :lol:. I'm wondering if maybe 2 medium eggs would work for half of 3 large?
According to the American Egg Board, 2 small eggs would be equivalent to 1.5 large.

For many recipes I'd use 1 whole large egg and either 1 egg white or 1 egg yolk to make up 1.5 eggs. But for a cake, I would lightly beat together the three eggs in a measuring cup, then use half that volume in the recipe and reserve the rest of the eggs for another use.

According to the American Egg Board, 2 small eggs would be equivalent to 1.5 large.

For many recipes I'd use 1 whole large egg and either 1 egg white or 1 egg yolk to make up 1.5 eggs. But for a cake, I would lightly beat together the three eggs in a measuring cup, then use half that volume in the recipe and reserve the rest of the eggs for another use.

Thank you. The splitting 3 eggs in half was the original suggestion too, so I guess that's the best bet.

Did you end up making the chocolate strawberry cupcakes and the lemon cupcakes? How did it turn out?
I did not. The cheesecake I was going to make for something else got pushed back and was used instead for the cupcake occasion. Despite a slight terror at the end (recorded in the 911 thread), the cheesecake came out quite well. I'm still planning on the cupcakes, but I'm not sure when.

I'm hosting a shower Saturday that has turned out to be a heck of a lot bigger than I thought it would be, so I'm trying to mete out the work throughout this week. I'm planning to make the cake from these cupcakes with the coconut topping from these.

I can't even remember the last time I made cupcakes, and my expertise with baking is pretty much limited to banana bread, so: HELP.

How early can I make the cake? The night before? If so, what's the best way to store them? Should I wait to ice them until the day of or can I do that the night before too? Can I make the coconut topping tonight or tomorrow and keep it in the fridge for the rest of the week? I'm using the cake from the Dorie Greenspan recipe because I know she's the best of the best, and the guest of honor loves coconut so I want to use that topping instead. Am I overcomplicating?

Thank you muchly!

ETA: 24 cupcakes is enough for 25 adults and four children, right?

Here's what I'd do: Make the cake one or two days early, using foil or plastic wrap to cover. Make the icing the evening before or the the morning of, with storage in the fridge. Ice the cupcakes that morning, and store them in the fridge until 30 minutes before the start of the shower.

Looking at the recipes, I'd show up at the shower with a gift, even though I don't know the mom :D