La Plaza, 6th St & Pennsylvania Ave SE Salvadoran-Mexican on Capitol Hill

Stopped in at La Plaza (on Pennsylvania Avenue, SE between 6th and 7th) on The Hill last night, had a "mexican" food craving going. This is my favorite of the cluster of El Salvadoran/Mexican joints that litter the Hill. we started with the ubiquitous bowl of tortilla chips and salsa. Then I went with the carnitas soft tacos, which were very yummy, slices of tender pork, piled with lettuce and cheese. it of course comes with side of sour cream, guacamole, and beans and rice. Everything was really fresh tasting and and you can't go wrong with the $10 price tag.

Stopped in at La Plaza (on Pennsylvania Avenue, SE between 6th and 7th) on The Hill last night, had a "mexican" food craving going. This is my favorite of the cluster of El Salvadoran/Mexican joints that litter the Hill. we started with the ubiquitous bowl of tortilla chips and salsa. Then I went with the carnitas soft tacos, which were very yummy, slices of tender pork, piled with lettuce and cheese. it of course comes with side of sour cream, guacamole, and beans and rice. Everything was really fresh tasting and and you can't go wrong with the $10 price tag.

Tweaked's blog entry on La Plaza here.

One of my good college buddies was visiting from Dubai and we were meeting up with folks later at Union Station, so I figured this would be a good place for food that he probably wouldn't be able to find in the Middle East. We weren't disappointed.

I started with a pupusa, which was about the same as any others I've had in the area (i.e., reasonably satisfying). My entree was the chile relleno, chicken tamale, and beef enchilada platter. Again, pretty standard fare, but each item had one element that surprised me in a good way. The chile was on the bland side, but the batter had an intriguing texture and kick that I couldn't identify. The tamale dough was sweeter than any I've ever tasted in the past, and was never overpowering. The enchilada was a winner simply by not being filled with ground beef.

Service was very friendly. Was the food better than what I've had in California? Of course not. But I'll definitely consider stopping by again if in the area.

La Plaza has been my favorite Salvordean-Mexican restaurant on the Hill since it opened, but recent visits suggest it's on the decline. Dining there on July 4, the margarita was fine (if pricier than before), but the complimentary chips were insipid factory products, devoid of salt and some in a garish green. My tacos de carnitas have usually been my reliable go-to item on the menu, but this time the pork was dry and flavorless, and the plate was just sort of depressing. Maybe I should grade on the curve given the holiday, but what was once aat least reliable has become increasingly disappointing in my last few visits; I wonder if trying to keep their other venture down Pennsylvania Avenue afloat is having a negative effect here.