Citronelle Cooking Classes

Mark Slater

Copied from the current mailing:

In the Kitchen with Michel Richard

Join celebrated Chef Michel Richard in the Kitchen for a

Cooking Demonstration with Lunch.

Chef Richard makes his highly acclaimed cuisine accessible and exciting for the home cook. Start the morning with coffee and croissants while Chef Richard guides you through the preparation of a gourmet three course meal.  Ask questions and learn the secrets of the trade.  Lunch is served immediately after the demonstration, in the beautiful Citronelle Dining Room.  A wine pairing with the meal is expertly presented by Citronelle's Sommelier and international wine consultant, Mark Slater. Beginners to Advanced food lovers welcome.

Thursday February 9th

Thursday, March 9Th

Thursday, April 6th

10:30 AM – 2:00 PM

$130 - per person

for information and reservations: call Celine Delany 202 339-6323

celine.delany@ihrco.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2006 World of Authentic Cuisine

Cooking Class Series

Michel Richard will do a Special Cooking Class in partnership with

Saveur Magazine and Relais & Chateaux

Thursday May 11th

$180 - per person

Registration begins February 1st : 1 888 328-0083 or visit www.saveur.com/cooks

I took a multi-class pastry course taught by Michel Richard in 1978, when he was proprietor of a pastry shop in Beverly Hills. I was a mere toddler at the time, of course, and his voice hadn't changed yet--NOT! :lol: (The class was held at Ma Cuisine, a small cooking classroom affiliated with Ma Maison, one of the earliest California-French restaurants, owned by Patrick Terraill, a member of the Tour d'Argent Terraill family. I took another course there, taught by the young chef at Ma Maison--Wolfgang Puck.)

All of you are well aware that Michel Richard has brilliant technique, but he is also a natural teacher, charming and informative and generous of spirit. It would be fun to go, if I had the dinero, but I would recommend it to those who do.

I've been to a slew of these (my Christmas present from Mrs. B last year) and I can assure you that Michel is a blast, the lessons -- more a demonstration than a hands-on thing -- are informative and the lunch that follows (highlight: the wine lesson by crack sommelier Mark Slater), featuing the menu you just watched being prepared, is delicious.

If you're nice to Mark, you can almost make back the cost of the lesson in the wine. :lol: They usually open the champagne about 11 o'clock and Michel usually has a dram or two himself.

Added bonus: sometimes you can pick up a swell baseball cap if you're qick.

I had a great experience taking Michel Richard’s cooking classes a while back. I recall it to be so much fun and amazing! Although I thought it would be more hands on, Michel and the entire staff did wonders and pampered you while demonstrating in the kitchen classroom style. After the demonstration, we moved to the dining room to enjoy a fantastic wine paired meal in the expert midst of Mark, Mel and Jacques. At the end, we were given a portfolio of recipes full of creative, innovative cooking methods and techniques, a gift bag with information on interesting international culinary affiliations as well as Citronelle souvenirs autographed by none other than Michel Richard—fabulous and well worth it! I would love to do it all over again! :)

Upcoming Citronelle classes featuring recipes from Happy in the Kitchen.

Chef Richard makes his highly acclaimed cuisine accessible and exciting for the home cook.

Start the morning with coffee and croissants while Chef Richard guides you through the preparation of a gourmet three course meal, with recipes from his new book Happy in the Kitchen. Ask questions and learn the secrets of the trade. The menu with wine pairing is served immediately after the demonstration, in the beautiful Citronelle Dining Room, with wines presented by Citronelle's Sommelier and international wine consultant, Mark Slater.

Beginners to Advanced food lovers welcome.

Thursday, February 15th

Appetizer: Potato Risotto

Entree: Duck Duck Beet with French Fries

Dessert: Raspberry Vacherin

Thursday, March 15th

Appetizer: White Gazpacho

Entree: Squab with Potato Fried Rice

Dessert: Pastry Puff with berry Sugar

Thursday, April 26th

Appetizer: Bell Pepper Wellington in flaky Croissant Crust

Entree: Low Carbonara with Tuna Chile

Dessert: Black & White Chocolate Bar

Thursday, May 10th

Appetizer: Leek Tart with Smoked Salmon and Creme Fraiche

Entree: Spinach Wrapped Snapper

Dessert: Apple Pear Blueberry Tart

Thursday, May 24th Appetizer: Scallop Kataifi

Entree: Onion Crust White Fish with Tomato Water Sauce

Dessert: Black & White Macaroon

Thursday, June14th

Appetizer: Turnover of Mushroom

Entree: Napoleon of Trout

Dessert: Elephant Ear with Raspberry Ice Cream

Thursday, June 28th

Appetizer: Fennel Cole Slaw

Entree: Tuna Burger

Dessert: Lemoneg

$130 - per person

Signed copies of Happy In the Kitchen will be available for sale.

for information and reservations: call Mel Davis 202 339-6304