RT's (as opposed to Artie's), Alexandria

A place to go near Delray if you crave deep-fried seafood and only deep-fried seafood.

I haven't been there in years, but I would say that's neither true nor fair :lol: ...here's a link to their menu - where you will see descriptions of broiled, sauteed, etc, seafood. It doesn't list their specials which, as I recall, are frequently grilled or broiled and smothered with etouffee or a crayfish tail hollandaise or similar sauce. I've never had fried fish there, although it is on the menu, but there are LOTS of other options. The food is rich, with an emphasis on Creole and Cajun, and the service is (or at least used to be) good.

RT's (in Arlandria on Mt. Vernon Ave) is part of the same family at The Wharf and The Warehouse restaurants, both found on lower King Street.

I haven't been there in years, but I would say that's neither true nor fair  :lol:   ...here's a link to their menu - where you will see descriptions of broiled, sauteed, etc, seafood.

It doesn't list their specials which, as I recall, are frequently grilled or broiled and smothered with etouffee or a crayfish tail hollandaise or similar sauce.  I've never had fried fish there, although it is on the menu, but there are LOTS of other options.  The food is rich, with an emphasis on Creole and Cajun,  and the service is (or at least used to be) good.

RT's (in Arlandria on Mt. Vernon Ave) is part of the same family at The Wharf and The Warehouse restaurants, both found on lower King Street.

When I saw Al's post, I had a similar reaction. I've eaten at RT's several times over the years and I do not recall ever seeing deep fried anything on the menu (is the catfish fried?). They have a wonderful seafood chowder and it's longevity should be a testament to it's quality. It's a great little neighborhood joint.

I haven’t been to RT’s in several months, but I’ve probably been 10 or 12 times over the years. My post was intended as a recommendation for the fried seafood dishes as I’ve never had a broiled, baked, boiled, etc., dish that I thought was all that memorable. As fried seafood goes, Rt’s cranks it out as good as anyone.

Perhaps I atypically gravitated toward whatever fried dishes were on the menu. I didn't intend to come off as dismissive of RT's.

I haven’t been to RT’s in several months, but I’ve probably been 10 or 12 times over the years. My post was intended as a recommendation for the fried seafood dishes as I’ve never had a broiled, baked, boiled, etc., dish that I thought was all that memorable. As fried seafood goes, Rt’s cranks it out as good as anyone.

Perhaps I atypically gravitated toward whatever fried dishes were on the menu. I didn't intend to come off as dismissive of RT's.

Not a problem....however, the crawfish etouffe is some fine stuff with a good crisp Sancerre...wonderful...

Edited by Escoffier

Went to this old standby last night for Mardi Gras..indeed the crawfish ettoufee is still very good here (not NOLA good, but certainly NOVA good!)...solid crabcakes and fine drinks...Hurricanes, Bourbon Fizz and Mint Julip. A good neighborhood feel to this place..I have been going since the 80's and the quality has been reasonably consistent through the years for this kind of fare. Their Death by Gumbo can, on a good day, be a reasonable facsimile in these parts for cajun food. Also note. on Monday nights .... $29.95 for two entrees (six choices) and a bottle of House wine.

Went yesterday for lunch and came away impressed. Cajun/Creole food in the Washington area has been tough to come by since New Orleans Emporium in Adams Morgan closed over a decade ago. The table started out with the shrimp/crawfish beignet appetizer, which was outstanding. I enjoyed a cup of Alligator Stew, with nice chewy chunks of alligator in a gumbo-like roux, and I would definitely enjoy that again. I chose the Haddock special for my main dish and I'm glad I did. Haddock stuffed with chunks of crab and crawfish, with a wine cream sauce. Two companions had the Steak Frites, and by the time I looked up from my dish their plates were wiped clean.