Trio and Trio's Fox and Hounds, East Dupont

Trio has some of the best sandwiches in the city, and the pizza is just the thing to scarf down after an evenings drinking debauch.  :lol:

Are they still making pizza? I was wondering if they'd had to have nixed that when Hank's replaced the pizza/cheesesteak storefront.

The Trio holds the undoubtedly questionable distinction of being the restaurant in which I have eaten far more times than any other. From the middle of 1981 to the end of 1992, I lived about a five-minute walk away (in three successive apartments), and would have dinner there when I didn't feel like cooking or going somewhere better, which typically ended up being somewhere between two and five times a month. I'd also go occasionally for weekend breakfasts or lunches. I figure I've probably eaten at the Trio at least 350 times, maybe 400 or more. I think the last time I was there, though, was 1994. I gather they've remodeled at least once since then. But is the menu much the same? Dinner comes with an "appetizer" of soup or juice, a main dish with two vegetables (one of which might be macaroni and cheese), a dessert of red jello or another choice such as rice pudding, and tea or coffee? A la carte choices, such as grilled pork chops or half a "golden" fried chicken come with salad and fries?

The Trio could never be mistaken for fine dining, but it used to be entirely possible to eat fairly well there. Things like pot roast, roast turkey, the aforementioned fried chicken--at amazingly low prices--were generally quite palatable. And they used to have some of the best fried onion rings in town. If you stayed away from the watery instant mashed potatoes and all forms of seafood (and the chicken liver dinner they sometimes had and I had the ill judgment to order once; I still see spots), you could do okay. Is it much the same now? Anyone been in the last decade?

Trio's, unfortunately, is one of the only places that you can get breakfast (not brunch), early on a Sunday morning in the Dupont Circle area.  It's not a great breakfast but its ok.

Eggs over easy, toast, and an ass kicking bloody mary. What's not to like?

Their turkey club sandwich is actually quite good.

Their turkey club sandwich is actually quite good.

Their turkey breast sandwich, always available, was among the most reliable things they had. Real turkey, roasted in house, at a rock-bottom price. I always thought it was a better deal than the club sandwich, which replaced some of the turkey with an extra slice of bread. I'm casting this in the past tense only because it's been so long since I was there. These things may all still be true.

My daughter is fond of their chocolate milkshake and I quite like the turkey salad on rye toast, lettuce only please. Onion rings are still pretty tastey.

Emma liked it so much she stuck her whole hand in it. No idea why, but our waitress was most accomodating bringing extra napkins.

I frequently ordered from the Trio in Adams Morgan, near the corner of 18th & Columbia. It's long gone, right?

I really, really wish everyone could see the two plates I have sitting side-by-side right now:

1) Fresh-Roasted Turkey Dinner ($10.95) from Trio, with cornbread stuffing, cranberry sauce, butternut squash, and collard greens.

2) Path Valley Farms Arugula Salad ($11.00) from Vermillion, with goat cheese, blood orange marmalade, and toasted brioche.

I'm not going to sit here and say one is "better" than the other, but I am going to say one is a LOT heavier, and a nickel cheaper. You'd laugh if you saw them next to each other. And you'd also see why Trio has been in business since 1950.

"I thought you were at Brabo tonight, Don."

I was. Both of them. But that's another story for another day...

I really, really wish everyone could see the two plates I have sitting side-by-side right now:

1) Fresh-Roasted Turkey Dinner ($10.95) from Trio, with cornbread stuffing, cranberry sauce, butternut squash, and collard greens.

2) Path Valley Farms Arugula Salad ($11.00) from Vermillion, with goat cheese, blood orange marmalade, and toasted brioche.

I'm not going to sit here and say one is "better" than the other, but I am going to say one is a LOT heavier, and a nickel cheaper. You'd laugh if you saw them next to each other. And you'd also see why Trio has been in business since 1950.

"I thought you were at Brabo tonight, Don."

I was. Both of them. But that's another story for another day...

I have a camera to give you. Pictures are good.

This is sad news. The food is mediocre, the drinks strong, but the company is always excellent and many of my favorite memories in Washington happened on that patio. I hope it does not become a place for the tube top crowd and the douchey guys that follow them. There is some hope, as the buyer is the long-time manager.

http://www.borderstan.com/02/trio-and-fox-and-hounds-sold/