Yee Hwa. Downtown - Closed

I have a hankering for Korean, but don't want to trek to Annandale.  Does anyone have a suggestion for a good Korean restaurant in the district?  And, if not, would you be able to suggest anyplace in particular in Annandale?

I'm kind of craving the standby, bibimbop, but also considering bbq, too.

Not to put a damper on anything, but... I've only ever had Korean once, and it was at YeeHwa. Never been back for more. I found it thoroughly average. Boring. YMMV. If you do go please report back.

Not to put a damper on anything, but... I've only ever had Korean once, and it was at YeeHwa. Never been back for more. I found it thoroughly average. Boring. YMMV. If you do go please report back.

I really did wish my mileage varied. By a lot. This was a group choice that I didn't give a lot of input to, secretly (perhaps even fervently) hoping that it would be better. There is a great autographed Ben Stein photograph up on the walls, so I hope his experience there vastly differed as well.

The best Korean dish to order there would be the Dol Sot Bi Bimbap at $12.95 it's pricey compared to many other places, but I did like how it came crackling with a perfect, almost sunny-side up yolk to puncture and bleed throughout the super hot rice. The feedback given by those who ordered was a "it's good."

I ordered the tofu soup, much similar to those served at Lighthouse, and I then, of course, secretly wished I was there instead. Although it came swimming in supposed-chili oil, the tofu failed to absorb any flavor whatsoever. At $10.95, I really wished I got my money's worth, but then again, I really do like and could eat tofu (even bland tofu), so I guess it was very far-remotely worth it for that price.

The side dishes that came with looked sad and lifeless. Even the kimchi.

The decor is very dated, with a very post-70s kitsch-paneling and a dining light that shown rainbow colors into the ceiling.

The only highlight of the meal was actually the tea. At least that tasted authentically soothing, if not a bit weak.