Steamers?

Darth Tater

I am seriously jonesing for some steamed clams, but am at a loss as to where to procure them. The seafood counter guy at the P Street Whole Foods said that they'd stopped carrying them since they didn't sell well, but that they were also out of season. Anyone spotted steamers in the DC area? And are there acceptable alternatives--I tried pastaneck clams, but they didn't blow my socks off.

I am seriously jonesing for some steamed clams, but am at a loss as to where to procure them.  The seafood counter guy at the P Street Whole Foods said that they'd stopped carrying them since they didn't sell well, but that they were also out of season.  Anyone spotted steamers in the DC area?  And are there acceptable alternatives--I tried pastaneck clams, but they didn't blow my socks off.

Call Blacksalt or Slavins as they might be able to help you out.

Call Blacksalt or Slavins as they might be able to help you out.

Thanks for the tip--I'm familiar with Slavin's but haven't tried Blacksalt before. Unfortunately it looks like the Blacksalt seafood market isn't open on Mondays, and I need to get them tonight for dinner tomorrow.

Now I just need to decide if the clams are worth braving 395 commuter traffic...

The seafood counter guy at the P Street Whole Foods said that they'd stopped carrying them since they didn't sell well, but that they were also out of season.

Liar. Unless he means "out of season" in the context of summertime being a more fashionable time to consume these bivalves - East Coast soft-shell clams are harvested year-round.

* Grew up summers in Wellfleet :lol:

Edited by jcc

I picked up some little necks (pastanecks as you called them) at the Wharf on Friday. They were amazing. I didn't see any steamers though. The little necks are worth the schlep if you don't mind Monday traffic.

Hmm, maybe I just didn't approach the littlenecks in the right way, if you were so impressed with them. I placed them in a chef's pan with a cup of chardonnay, put the heat on medium, and covered them until they opened. Would there be a better way to cook them for a pasta dish?

I steamed the clams I had last week in a bottle of Foggy Bottom beer with a couple of cloves of smashed garlic.

When making clams for tomato sauce I put the clams in a baking dish, throw in a can of crushed tomatoes, some chopped garlic, and maybe a splash of wine. I cover it with tin foil and throw the whole thing in a 450 oven for about 20 minutes. Often I don't bother with the pasta and serve the whole thing with a baguette for slopping up the tomato sauce.