English Or Scottish Markets

DanielK

I would like to purchase some foods that we enjoyed on a trip to the UK this summer, but they're things you don't see often. I've checked the international food aisles of local Giant, Balducci's, and Whole Foods stores, and found some things, but looking for some more variety. There are also a number of online places, but I'm hoping for something local.

Anyone know of any local markets?

I would like to purchase some foods that we enjoyed on a trip to the UK this summer, but they're things you don't see often. I've checked the international food aisles of local Giant, Balducci's, and Whole Foods stores, and found some things, but looking for some more variety. There are also a number of online places, but I'm hoping for something local.

Anyone know of any local markets?

There is a shop at the Clarendon Metro Station that carries a wide assortment of British foods... from chocolates to sausages. Don't know exactly what you are looking for but it is a start.

There is a shop at the Clarendon Metro Station that carries a wide assortment of British foods... from chocolates to sausages.  Don't know exactly what you are looking for but it is a start.

If you're looking for Hobnobs, digestives, various Cadbury's/other chocolates, etc., your best bet locally, on price and selection, is World Market. Wegman's has a smaller selection, but will at least have stuff like Hobnobs and Jacob's cream crackers on a regular basis, as well as Ty-phoo and PG Tips tea.

As far as sausages or pies, the only place I can personally recommend is the British Pantry on Rt. 50 in Aldie, VA (http://www.thebritishpantry.us/) - they stock pork pies, Galtee bacon, and black and white pudding, all frozen.

For mail order, the ShopEnglandOnline folks (http://store.shopenglandonline.com/) are reasonably priced and very helpful.

The shop in Clarendon, at the corner of Wilson & Highland, next to Hard Times is called CLASSIC CIGARS & BRITISH GOODIES and does carry a good selection of tinned and frozen goods and candy.

Strangely enough, there's the same place on Market Street in Frederick...better selection than the Clarendon one, which I am familiar with of old.

Rob

The shop in Clarendon, at the corner of Wilson & Highland, next to Hard Times is called CLASSIC CIGARS & BRITISH GOODIES and does carry a good selection of tinned and frozen goods and candy.

They generally have a selection of Walker's Crisps. Most are beyond the "sell by date" but I would happily eat a semi-stale Smokey Bacon Walker's Crisp any day over a fresh Lay's, Kettle, or any other American potato chip.

I should also mention, the Roast Chicken also kick ass as well.

There is a shop at the Clarendon Metro Station that carries a wide assortment of British foods... from chocolates to sausages.  Don't know exactly what you are looking for but it is a start.

Everytime I go there, I'm floored by how many sandwich spreads Heinz makes that we never see. What's with that? What's with Brits and their hidden condiments?

As far as sausages or pies, the only place I can personally recommend is the British Pantry on Rt. 50 in Aldie, VA (http://www.thebritishpantry.us/) - they stock pork pies, Galtee bacon, and black and white pudding, all frozen.

The British Pantry (mentioned above) also has an Alexandria location on S. Columbus, a few doors down from Eamonn's/PX. I haven't been by in quite a while, but they have a fairly extensive (if pricey) selection, including digestives :mellow:

Rodman's also has British section in their international aisle. Not outstanding but you can get some basics - digestives, marmite, piccalilli, branston pickle, salad cream, a handful of canned items from heinz, candy, etc.

Rodman's also has HP sauce!