Allagash Tripel

Allagash Tripel Welsh Rarebit, Asparagus, Baby Greens

Allagash Four

Braised Pork Belly, Smoked Scallops, Creamy Corn

Allagash Curieux

Butter Poached Pineland Farms Sirloin, Ricotta & Mascarpone Ravioli

Allagash Interlude

Hudson Valley Foie Gras with Strawberries Three Ways

Rittenhouse Rye BIB and Blenheim extra spicy. Greatest highball ever. Perhaps we should call it a Superball!

Where'd ya get the Blenheim? Is it sold locally, or do you have to order it? (For those who don't know, Blenheim is, IMO, the world's finest Ginger Ale, made and bottled in Blenheim, SC.)

Celis Grotten brown ale. Only lightly sour, with a "cleaner" nose than a lot of brown ales. I get a vegetal note that reminds me of...avocados maybe? Very tight carbonation and wonderful mouthfeel. Like a heathen, I'm drinking it out of a big weissbier glass, but there's something satisfying about watching the little bubbles make the long climb up, versus the short jog in the usual Belgian brown ale tulip.

Where'd ya get the Blenheim? Is it sold locally, or do you have to order it? (For those who don't know, Blenheim is, IMO, the world's finest Ginger Ale, made and bottled in Blenheim, SC.)
Sadly, it was hand-imported from NC by a friend of mine. I'm guarding my remaining 14 bottles like a rooster guards his chicks. Or something like that.

The bar at Vidalia has it, though I can't imagine it's a good aperitif, considering that it can make your mouth burn.

Saranac "Caramel Porter". Warm. Finishing off the mandatory online alcohol education course (approximate time to complete: Three hours) was just so aggravating, I had to drink out of sheer spite. Very tasty...the caramel is well apparent but balanced. Not sure I've ever had a beer out of spite.

The good the bad and the ugly....

UGLY: 1997 Etienne Sauzet Les Combettes Puligny Montrachet.... sadly oxidized and WAY over the hill. Bilge water for only $80 or so a bottle. Yikes!

The Bad: 1998 Ridge Zin Mozzoni Home Ranch- vegetal and boring. Still a lot of fruit so not over the hill. 1998 was an odd year for Sonoma zins and time has not be kind to this bottle.

The GOOD: 2001 Ridge Zin Nervo - an ATP selection.... very tight on opening with loads of red fruit and spice. But it opened up to reveal loads of Geyservile style rich blak fruit, albeit with a higher acidity level to complement the red stuff. I will wait to open my opther bottle of this. Quite good with vezzenna- a mountain cheese from Trentino.

Last night, Antica Cantina S.Amico 2005 Lacrima Di Morro D'Alba. Interseting hit of black pepper on the nose at first, nicely balanced with fruit. After an hour, the pepper diminished to be replaced by a distinct minerality.

I believe someone from dr.com left this bottle at my house after the pasta making party. I'm not sure who, but I wish to thank you. The wine was delicious with spaghetti with olive oil and garlic.

Not even after the Jerusalem artichokes?
Not even then...those were always during the week, and immediately before I had to go home. Wouldn't have been time. Drink of choice when I got home was either Gatorade or Ovaltine, oddly enough. Besides, Jerusalem Artichokes have the particular advantage of being tasty. Why it's worth all the hassle. No, this was a direct reaction to having to sit through a mandatory 3-hour alcohol education seminar. Incidentally, I don't have to do the second half, which is kind of nice.

Currently enjoying a Geary's London Porter

Rittenhouse 100

Martini/Rossi Vermouth

Angostura Bitters

Safeway-bought cherries

A basic rye manhattan. Still very tasty, despite lack of expensive cherries, obscure bitters, or some crazy vermouth. Not that I'm at all knocking any of those things.

Essentially Manhattans made with Suntory whisky, Cinzano sweet vermouth, and bitters. Because of the Japanese base whisky, we think it needs a different name, and are leaning toward "Asakusa," after the district in Tokyo. Also because the idea of people trying to pronounce "Asakusa" after a few amuses us.

I put together what turned out to be a nice summer cocktail last weekend. I took a base recipe of cherry lemonade from epicurious dot com. It ended up as juice of 6 lemons (yielding about a cup of juice) and a quart of sweet red cherries, fresh from the farmers market.

Threw a cup of lemon juice into the blender, then added a quart of cherries, stemmed but not pitted. Whirled around enough to shred cherries; some pits were split. Strained mixture, added a quarter cup of sugar. Portioned lemon-cherry mixture into glasses, filling glasses half way. Topped up glasses with vodka, blush Champagne, or seltzer, depending on the habits or ages of guests.

Four batches of lemon-cherry mix yielded more than enough for an evening of drinks for 7 people. People really seemed to like it. Nice for a summer evening.

2005 Lusco do Mino Albarino

1998 Bodegas Muga Prado Enea Gran Reserva

2003 Artadi Pago Viejos

1994 Bodegas Ismael Arroyo Valsotillo Gran Reserva

2002 Bodegas Y Venedos 'Alion'

2001 Aalto

2003 Bodegas Y Vinedos Pintia

2001 Cims de Porrera 'Classic'

2004 Mas Doix Costers de Vinas Viejas

.....burp.... ;)

Lucid absinthe supérieur. Slow to form a louche unless your ice water is bracingly cold, and then there's the clear separation of a fine oily layer floating over the translucent colloidal suspension. Not planning to drink enough to see la fée verte, but wanted to open a bottle up for a taste.

Thus far, not quite what I'd imagined...Ted Breaux is said to have reduced the anise component for American tastes, but I find the licorice flavor extremely muted compared to any pastis, anisette or ouzo...or Versinthe for that matter. There's another aromatic note that reminds me of grappa, but I don't know how to describe it. Gut reaction is that I'd probably prefer Herbsaint or Pernod in a proper Sazerac...unless one of Breaux's other distillates became available.

1986 Benedict Loosen-Erben Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Auslese. Initial smack of petrol that is common amongst aged Rieslings. As the bottle opened honey and apples were both prevelent on the nose and the palate. Still possesses plenty of acidity and body making it a very nice aged Auslese.