Prawn Crackers

Sthitch

Does anyone know of any restaurant in the area that serves prawn crackers?  I had my first one in 1976 at a Chinese restaurant called the Summer Palace in Montrose, Scotland.  Ever since I have been enthralled with these light and crispy snacks.

Haven't run across them in any Chinese restaurants this side of the pond, but you can buy them at various Asian supermarkets. We got ours at the now-closed market in Chinatown, but I've seen them elsewhere.

When we were at China Garden for dim sum, a neighboring table (perhaps wisely) ordered from the menu instead of the carts - one of the platters on their table was a whole roasted duck garnished with a generous helping of pastel prawn crackers.

Edited by perrik

Many of the area's Vietnamese restaurants serve them as part of the lotus root salad, a shrimp and vegetable dish that is worth ordering even when it comes without the shrimp chip garnish. Huong Viet in the Eden Center serves it with the chips.

I've found that the brand of shrimp chip matters very much. The Sa Giang brand marked premium quality is a lot better than the other brands and is the only one I will buy now. They also make crab chips and a variety of the shrimp chip that has some pepper in it. The large Vietnamese grocery in the Eden Center has all varieties.

While the flavor is better if you fry in oil, shrimp chips do pretty well in the microwave. Watch them because they burn easily. My microwave does the trick in about 45 seconds.

I've found that the brand of shrimp chip matters very much.   The Sa Giang brand marked premium quality is a lot better than the other brands and is the only one I will buy now.  They also make crab chips and a variety of the shrimp chip that has some pepper in it.   The large Vietnamese grocery in the Eden Center has all varieties. 

I assume this thread is really about prawn chips...prawn crackers, which are glossy baked rice flour items, are something else entirely.

Personally I find Vietnamese and other southeast Asian styles of prawn chips to be too sweet, too small, and often somewhat thin in prawn flavor. They're simply a different style. Sadly, the Grand Marts near me don't appear to carry Chinese prawn chips at all. Lotte usually has them, albeit without the absurd and delightful array of colors. Maxim usually has the proper article though.

Edited by ol_ironstomach

Hannah,

Thanks, I do make them myselves when the the jones hits too bad, but sometimes I would like to have someone else do the cooking of them for me.  SuperH and Lotte both sell boxes of them.

My kids love making these chips - watching them grow huge in only a few seconds is something they never tire of. Most of the Indonesian and Malaysian restaurants in the area serve them, but it is hard to find the kinds with stronger flavor. I used to buy the not-yet-fried chips at the Vietnamese markets on Wilson Blvd. They still carry some of the regular chips, but the better ones have to be ordered by mail (e.g., http://www.hollandsbest.com/english/grocer.../snacks/chips/). If you can find the spicy chips - they are big and fabulous. You should also try the tapioca chips - a very distinct taste not common in any American cooking. We generally buy chips in Amsterdam since we get there rather frequently or have them sent by my Dutch Indonesian MIL who lives there.

Does anyone know of any restaurant in the area that serves prawn crackers? I had my first one in 1976 at a Chinese restaurant called the Summer Palace in Montrose, Scotland. Ever since I have been enthralled with these light and crispy snacks.
I hope Sthitch hasn't permanently left or still lurks, as I wanted him to know that Great Wall Supermarket now sells pre-fried prawn crackers/shrimp chips in a bag. I am enjoying a tasty "taro flavored" bag, although the ingredients in Chinese lists no-known taro, just Red dye No. 6 (is this the one not allowed in the US??) + Yellow dye No. 5. At least there's no MSG in this bag. It comes in a ginormous bag with Japanese writing (Ebi chip) in the snack aisle, with at least three different "flavors." Mmm.