Restaurant Kolumbia, Final Day Was Oct 27th.

Stachowski's amazing picnic pig was enough to finally get me to Restaurant Kolumbia to see what all the fuss is about - and frankly I'm surprised there isn't more (fuss, that is). That beef on weck is every bit as good as people say, but dessert was fantastic, too: brioche charlotte with caramelized pears, raspberries, and pecan ice cream. Thanks, Justin, for pointing me in that direction.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mucho Amor to all Don Rockwell participanting picnickers! Making a debut this week is an old favorite of mine, a fish terrine of seared monkfish loin surrounded by skate with smoked eel all bound with a soft lobster mousse, leeks and cabbage with mustard cream.

Tonight is our monthly Polish Dinner

Start the evening with homemade Sliwowica- homemade Plum Infused Brandy

We make a contemporary Barszcz (Borscht)

Everyone knows about my kielbasa tonight will be served with gravlax, family style.

Classic Veal Cutlet with Porcinni Mushroom Sauce, Delicate Pierogi with Truffed Parsnip Puree

Mazurek of Dates, Pistacio, and Candied Orange

It is a four course dinner for $55 inclusive- $80 with wine pairing.

Witamy!

Chef Jamie

Making a debut this week is an old favorite of mine, a fish terrine of seared monkfish loin surrounded by skate with smoked eel all bound with a soft lobster mousse, leeks and cabbage with mustard cream.
Oh my goodness...my mouth is watering and I've lost power of speech. This sounds amazing and worth a trip in the very near future!
We make a contemporary Barszcz (Borscht)
I tried this last week and it was quite tasty.

Lunch today (in the dining room, not at the bar): Crispy Duck Confit and Galantine over Grilled Black Mission Figs, Goat Cheese and Frisee, Hazelnut Vinaigrette. Crispy and chewy and tender all at once. Delicious. My +1 today was Mom (birthday lunch). She loved her lobster salad, but I didn't taste it. We split a pear brioche charlotte for dessert. Awesome. Judging by recent posts it looks like there hasn't been much dessert action going on. Big mistake - the desserts rock.

Oh my goodness...my mouth is watering and I've lost power of speech. This sounds amazing and worth a trip in the very near future!
Lisa and I went there last Saturday and had dinner at the bar. The fish terrine was something we couldn't pass up and it was delicious! The lobster mousse was melt in your mouth wonderful. Silky and full of flavour. We also had the pumpkin soup with bits of chicken liver and what I believe was crispy prosciutto. We were pretty much ready to roll off our bar stools about half way through the entire charcuterie board but we persevered. The rabbit and foie gras terrine is SO darned rich that it almost killed me (in a good way). The boudin rouge and kielbasa are still my favorites.

We started the evening with shots of Sliwowica (the plum infused brandy). Oh, wow....it barely even tastes of alcohol. I could just imagine this warm and slightly reduced, served over french vanilla ice cream, topped with one of the plums from the container. It was like starting dinner with dessert.

Overall, a great dinner (as usual). Too bad they had to open the front doors to cool off the dining room. It pretty much froze out anyone at the bar. I couldn't wait for my coffee and then to get out of there. Didn't really put us in the mood for dessert. But given that we were the only ones at the bar, I figured it wasn't worth complaining (except for doing it here - what a dork I am).

So get yer asses down there for HH one night this week and try the fish terrine while it's still on the menu. Between that and the Sliwowica, it's definitely worth making a special trip for.

Went to Restaurant Kolumbia for dinner tonight... And in short, the dinner was great.

PJASchultz and I both had the tasting menu along with wine pairings. I'll let her describe her dishes as I only got a bite or two of each.

Pumpkin / Mushroom soup duo - Both the pumpkin and mushroom soups were creamy and airy. The soups were in the same bowl, side by side. At the bottom was some mushroom flan. The pumpkin soup was good but not overly pumpkiny. The mushroom soup and the flan both were good, and the flan at the bottom added a nice texture to the soup.

Fois Gras and Rabbit Terrine - The terrine had a sauce over the top that added a slightly sweet taste I believe, and the terrine itself has a moussey texture with almost a gamey flavor. I was a big fan of the taste though PJASchultz wasn't a huge fan. The waiter came by a bit late to describe the dishes on this course so we were playing the "what in the world is this?" game for a bit, especially since neither of us had alot of experience with terrines really, which made it kind of interesting once we found out what the terrines were :-) MDT's "Country Terrine" was the first terrine I'd tried so I don't really have a firm reference point, but this seemed very good :-)

Seared Tuna - Different than most seared tuna I've tried. The sauce/seasoning that went with it was completely unexpected and complemented the tuna very well. After the meal we ran into Jamie at the bar and he told us the seasoning was smoked paprika and "a few other things around the kitchen". We didn't think smoked paprika at all (in fact, we were thinking along the lines of a touch of garlic and a touch of salt), but man was it good. The salad that went with it was a mixture of rice, shaved zuchinna, shaved apple, and some other things that I could quite make out. Very tasty as well.

Sturgeon with Wild Mushroom Lasagna - Something else I'm not overly familiar with, sturgeon. The fish was cooked with the skin slightly crispy. I enjoyed the skin area of the fish about the best of the fish I believe, as overall the fish itself didn't have a overly strong flavor. However, the mushroom lasagna was absolutely wonderful. Very definitely the best part of the entire meal for me. The lasagna was earthy and creamy and mushroomy all rolled up into one. PJASchultz, who doesn't like mushrooms very much at all, even thought that it was very good as far as mushrooms go. Really the flavor is something I couldn't really even describe well enough to give it justice as it was really that good.

Pheasant wrapped in Pancetta - This was the only course where we ended up with the same dish. There was a couple of slices of breast along with a confit of leg, both wrapped in pancetta. The pancetta gave the bird a nice almost smoky flavor along with a nice crisp skin. The (beluga?) lentils that were served with the pheasant had a earthy, chocolatey flavor to them that I thought really went well with the pheasant.

Caramel apple cake with pecan ice cream - The caramel in the small cake went very well with the apple and overall was quite delicious. I'm a fan of pecans to start with so it'd be tough to mess up pecan ice cream in my book, but this pecan ice cream was good with enough pecans in it to make it "pecany" without so many that it made it not "ice creamy".

We got the wine pairings to go with the meal. Nothing stuck out at me as awesome or wonderful, but all of the wines seemed to go with the courses quite well. The wine for our seafood course came out at the same time as the seared tuna (which was extra to the 5-course menu) and thus we were running a bit low by the time the seafood course came out, so they poured a bit more so we'd have some wine to go with the course. A nice touch and not expected at all, especially considering the wine pairings were only $20.

Overall, we were both very pleased with the meal. There was only one very small bump in the service (where the server didn't come by for a bit during the terrines so we weren't exactly certain what we were eating), but other than that the service was always on top of the ball and unobstrusive. The wine pairings were always there just a bit before the next dish, and other than the one course the courses were always described just moments after we received them. We both remarked that it was probably the best meal we'd had in quite some time.

ETA: Oh, and we were both looking forward to ordering the charcuterie plate, but since we ordered the tasting menu we figured we'd wait to see if we had room and have it near the end possibly... Unfortunately we didn't as we were both fairly full nearing the end of the meal. Definitely next time.

We both remarked that it was probably the best meal we'd had in quite some time.

Run, do not walk, to Restaurant Kolumbia! Treznor and I went for dinner last night, and my comment halfway through the meal was that this dinner had been on par with Vidalia to me as the best overall dining experience I have ever had in DC. (Disclaimer: We have not yet been to Citronelle or CityZen). The food was EXCELLENT, the service was great, ambience/atmosphere great, and Jamie and Carolyn are accomodating and friendly. It makes me wonder where all the people are (the restaurant was not even close to capacity while we were there). People are definitely missing out on this gem!

We decided to order the tasting menu, which I have never done in any restaurant before, but I felt ready to take the risk, in the very capable hands of Chef Jamie. On to the food...

Soup duo of Lobster Bisque/Mussel Veloute

The soup was excellent, creamy and delicious, but not too rich and overpowering as a first course. The whole mussels layered at the bottom of the soup were delicious and worked well with the lobster flavors as well. Soup was served with a sparkling wine that paired well (I don't think either of us really quite caught what the names of the wines were).

Fish terrine

I was served the fish terrine (treznor got the fois gras/rabbit) and I was very pleased with the dish. I prefered the fish terrine to the rabbit, as it had a much thicker, more substantial texture, with a stronger taste. It was my first terrine, and I was definitely satisfied. Served with a bean salad it was the perfect compliment. The wine pairing was a blush, not great, but it did pair well.

Seared tuna

This extra course sent to us to share while we waited on our third/appetizer course, this possibly was the best dish of the evening. The tuna was lightly seared on the outside, with a rub of smoked paprika and I assume some salt and garlic. Treznor described it a bit, so I won't say much more. But it was excellent.

Crab cake made with scallop mousse

This was not your normal crab cake, it was very creamy (blended with scallop mousse) and very rich in taste. In fact, I would say it probably had a stronger taste of scallop than crab, but it worked very well. It was served with homemade, waffle cut potato ships, which surprisingly enough went excellent with the crab cake. I cut off a couple bites and ate them with the chips, as if i were dipping my chip in crab cake, and both tastes went together well with the kind of awesome food synergy that you only dream of. The chardonnay that came with it was a very butter, low-oak chardonnay that, again, went well.

Pancetta-wrapped pheasant

I was a little leary of this dish, as I had even remarked to treznor before the meal that I was not exactly excited about possibly eating some of the gamier meats (duck, pheasant). I'm usually not a fan. But this pheasant was wrapped in pancetto, not much, but enough that it gave it a little more flavor and that fatty texture that kind of binds the other flavors together. The pheasant was served over a bed of lentils and a sauce that was very earthy and rich, which i remarked had a very cocoa-like scent/flavor. Again, I am not a fan of anything really in the beans/lentils family, but this was a very new flavor to me and it was quite a treat. The wine served with this dish was a red blend that was my favorite wine of the night.

Chocholate hazelnut cake

For the dessert course, I was served two triangles of a chocolate/hazelnut cake, that almost had the texture of a cheesecake. Not very dry and cakey, but softer, and mousse-like. The cocoa flavors were rich and delicious, and then there would be a crunch of the hazelnut which was very fun. It was served with a small side of vanilla ice cream and was the perfect finish to a truly incredible meal. I thought treznor's caramal apple cake was better, but only marginally. Everything was excellent.

In summary, this was the best meal I have had in quite some time and definitely either the top or second best meal I have EVER had in DC. I think that we have found a new "tried and true favorite" for all those nights that we know we just want to go out to eat someplace we have been before, that we know is great, and can just enjoy a delicious dinner. (Up until now on those kinds of nights, we usually end up at RTS.)

And, like I said, in terms of total dining experience, worth every penny you would spend, someplace I can easily recommend to anyone without hesitation, Restaurant Kolumbia tops the list (with Vidalia and Ray's the Steaks). Sure there are plenty of excellent restaurants out there, that have great food, but it's so rare that I find a place where I just love every dish, have great service the whole time, and leave the restauarant so satisfied that I spend the whole car ride home saying "wow" repeatedly.

Bravo, Jamie and Carolyn!

Thanks,again for the possitive posts, that should bring them out . We really get worked up over the tasting menu. Thats how JLs(Jean louis) taught me: grind it out stand on your head cooking. So I say to myself I have to hold to that level of effort. If you come by and want to hear more about the old days... Chef Jamie

Restaurant Kolumbia

From Carolyn: Sorry about the artic blast. The air conditioning unit requires a 40 (40) foot ladder- even service personel are unwilling to climb- so I resort to the naturelle air until chef has time to ascend.

Went for lunch today. Got a choice of three from the butcher's block - vension breseola, kielbasa and smoked salmon and trout. They were all amazing. It made me a little sad since I know the kielbasa isn't on the bar menu right now.

Had the Crispy Duck Confit and Galantine over Grilled Black Mission Figs, Goat Cheese and Frisee, Hazelnut Vinaigrette. The mission figs tempered it a bit nicely, but the dressing or the confit was very, very salty. I don't know if it was just me or a consistency thing. But it had me gulping down some water. I could see potential in the dish, but I'm not sure what happened there.

Dessert was caramel apple cake with pecan ice cream. Yum! I loved the crisp little bit of caramel that had been dripped along.

Thanks,again for the possitive posts, that should bring them out . We really get worked up over the tasting menu. Thats how JLs(Jean louis) taught me: grind it out stand on your head cooking. So I say to myself I have to hold to that level of effort. If you come by and want to hear more about the old days... Chef Jamie

Restaurant Kolumbia

From Carolyn: Sorry about the artic blast. The air conditioning unit requires a 40 (40) foot ladder- even service personel are unwilling to climb- so I resort to the naturelle air until chef has time to ascend.

No worries. We had a great time regardless. Next time, I'll climb up there for you in return for a complimentary glass of that plum brandy (well, maybe one before for courage and one afterwards to calm my heart down) :)

We heard through the grapevine that there might be a special Thanksgiving dinner at Restaurant Kolumbia? Any truth to that?

Had the Crispy Duck Confit and Galantine over Grilled Black Mission Figs, Goat Cheese and Frisee, Hazelnut Vinaigrette. The mission figs tempered it a bit nicely, but the dressing or the confit was very, very salty. I don't know if it was just me or a consistency thing. But it had me gulping down some water. I could see potential in the dish, but I'm not sure what happened there.
I had that last week, and didn't find it salty at all. Somebody's hand must have slipped in the kitchen.

No worries. We had a great time regardless. Next time, I'll climb up there for you in return for a complimentary glass of that plum brandy (well, maybe one before for courage and one afterwards to calm my heart down) :)

We heard through the grapevine that there might be a special Thanksgiving dinner at Restaurant Kolumbia? Any truth to that?

Think I saw signs outside about the Thanksgiving dinner, but don't remember the details.

Quick report: The wild mushroom lasagna on the bar lunch menu is great: very rich, plated on top of some sort of cream sauce, topped with a mildly spicy jus. Also overheard the bartender rattling off the list of soups: some interesting stuff for sure...borscht with beef, something with pumpkin too?

Quick report: The wild mushroom lasagna on the bar lunch menu is great: very rich, plated on top of some sort of cream sauce, topped with a mildly spicy jus. Also overheard the bartender rattling off the list of soups: some interesting stuff for sure...borscht with beef, something with pumpkin too?
That's probably the pumpkin soup we had about a week ago there. Oh, lord, but it was delicious. Sprinkled liberally with pieces of chicken liver and (I think) crispy prosciutto. Very comforting food. I'd definitely recommend it!

So just a quick note to say that Kolumbia is an amazingly well run restaurant with great innovative food.

My lunchmate ordered the pork sandwich for her main course. It arrived plated very nicely with a heaping order of the Best on K Fries. She started eating the pork. She stopped. I was devouring my duck confit salad with no interest in her pork. Plus with the beautifully roasted figs, I didn't really want what looked like bbq pork... so I passed on tasting the meat.

I noticed she didn't really eat the sandwich. As we had shared mussels as an appetizer, I wrote it off as her not being that hungry. Our server approached to inquire as to whether anything was wrong with the sandwich. She said that it just didn't taste right and thought she just didn't like it.

Apparently when the plate was returned to the kitchen, Chef tasted the meat and decided that it was not up to snuff. WOW! My friend and I were both blown away by his commitment when Carolynne informed us that sandwich would not appear on the bill.

It was a very nice gesture and my friend is now a fan for life... I already was but am still blown away.

Five of us met for lunch today. Moules were sweet and fresh, and bathed in a creamy garlicky sauce. I almost never lunch on K Street, and therefore cannot verify that the fries are indeed "best on K," but they were mighty fine on their own and irresistible once immersed in the mussel sauce.

We split a butcher's board with duck salami, venison pepperoni, kielbasa, rabbit and foie terrine, and the trio of smoked fish - a bargain at twenty dollars. My favorite was the terrine, which had a finer, more integrated texture than the version I tried two weeks ago.

All in all, a pleasant way to spend an hour downtown.

(DanielK, I checked my ticket book: GnR, October 18, 1987, Hammerjacks. :) )

I don't think anyone has posted this on the board but here's the menu for their Thanksgiving dinner. Thx to DanielK for alerting me to this. Lisa and I already have reservations. Looking forward to eating something other than the charcuterie. Now if only I could look past the fact that Jamie is a Sabres fan. :)

We had a splendid dinner last night along with our doctor cousins from Montreal, and pretty much had the dining room to ourselves. There was a crowd in the bar, but only one other table was occupied in the back. I must admit, I enjoyed the undivided attention of the staff and the opportunity to talk to each other across the table without shouting, as is so often the case in busy places.

Since this was my first visit, I insisted that we start with a selection of charcuterie. We ordered boudin rouge, rabbit and foie gras terrine and smoked lamb shoulder, and Chef Jamie gifted us with several chunks of kielbasa, impaled on a skewer with cornichons. This was a big hit, especially the silky smooth terrine. We washed it down with a bottle of dry, tart Australian riesling that even had a bit of petrol in the nose, a worthy accompaniment.

Cousin C and I had the daily special soup--puree of wild mushrooms (sans cream) with a tremblingly delicate white mushroom flan floated in the center of the bowl with a crispy slice of fried prosciutto angling up --very delicious. Jonathan had mussel soup with saffron cream, Nothing subtle about this, the mussels made a bold statement--and might have been better, toned down a bit with cream and fish stock. Cousin E had a martini glass filled with clam fritters and fried calamari rings on a bed of slaw. Nicely fried, crisp and fresh-tasting.

For mains, C had a ballotine of pheasant, thin slices fanned out on the plate, E had venison with chestnut puree, I had a massive slab of a stuffed pork chop with amaretto sauce, and Jonathan had swordfish. He and I swapped plates halfway through, and we tasted the cousins' mains. My favorite was the pheasant. Chef Jamie has a real talent for the charcuterie family, It was delicious. The pork was juicy (and quite rare in the center), but the meat had a pale flavor and I don't believe it had been brined--something of a surprise, given all the flavor that Chef Jamie pumped into the pig for the picnic. The sauce was very good though, and while slightly sweet, did not overwhelm with amaretto flavor. The swordfish was the least successful, it was slightly overcooked for our taste-- not dry, but a shade beyond a point, that state of custardy brininess that swordfish can embody when it is perfectly cooked. And the fish sat on several pieces of kielbasa, which we had eaten as our first course--wonderful with the other meats, but a bit too much garlicky, porky sausage with the delicate-tasting fish. Cousin E was very happy with his venison, which had a bit of mustard in with the sweet chestnut puree, and some cherries in the sauce.

We had 2004 Torbreck Juveniles shiraz-grenache-mataro blend that was medium to full-bodied and had enough complexity to match well with all of our entree flavors.

For dessert, we shared a chocolate-hazlenut mousse--thick triangular slices of creamy chocolate with a crispy nut base with fresh raspberries and vanilla ice cream, and a warm pear charlotte--slices of spiced pear wrapped in buttery pastry with creme anglais. Amazingly delicious --I highly recommend both.

Throughout the meal, the Montreal cousins enjoyed bantering with the waiter in French. The service was friendly, charming and still very precise and professional. Chef Jamie came out to chat after we had finished eating, curious about bits and pieces of our table conversation that the waiter had overheard and mentioned to him. He was unaware that I had any connection to DR.com until then, but we chatted briefly about the picnic.

We left, well fed and happy. A 100% perfect meal?--not quite. But a challenging, interesting and delicious meal, well worth the price. Our sophisticated foodie cousins were very pleased and impressed. And we're looking forward to returning.

a massive slab of a stuffed pork chop with amaretto sauce

[snip]

something of a surprise, given all the flavor that Chef Jamie pumped into the pig for the picnic. The sauce was very good though, and while slightly sweet, did not overwhelm with amaretto flavor.

Interesting that chef is working the amaretto angle on pork in the restaurant. Definitely need to get in there and check out that dish, as I was certainly impressed by the impact of the amaretto on the pig that treznor and I prepped. What was the consistency of the sauce? thin/thick?

And thanks for the great and comprehensive review. Lots of things to pique the interest.

We went in and got seats at the bar right away - tables are all two-tops. We were in and out in an hour.
Actually there is a dining room in the back, so there are more than just the two-tops. From the few times I've been lunch hasn't been too crowded. This is the lunch menu page: http://restaurantkolumbia.com/menus/menulunch.html

If you do the bar lunch it's a bit faster than the sit down lunch.

Actually there is a dining room in the back, so there are more than just the two-tops. From the few times I've been lunch hasn't been too crowded. This is the lunch menu page: http://restaurantkolumbia.com/menus/menulunch.html

If you do the bar lunch it's a bit faster than the sit down lunch.

Although I generally eat at the bar, from what I've seen the back room can vary. At times, it's been pretty full, so I'd call for a reservation. The bar lunch is definitely the easier, faster option.

I've had lunch at the bar three times, and it too varies. The last time I was the sole customer at the bar (which has twelve or fourteen stools, I'm not sure exactly) when I started, although one other person came along later. The time before that there were two stools available when I arrived. Both times were around one pm on a weekday. As to the regular lunch menu, I was under the impression that it was not available at the bar. They certainly didn't offer me that menu any of the three times I've been. Another thing to remember is the bar lunch is NINE DOLLARS. To eat really good food in a super-nice place attended by excellent staff for nine dollars (plus beverage, tax, and tip, of course) is a remarkable thing. Kinkead's should probably think of following this trend or risk losing me as a regular.

Thanksgiving leftovers never tasted this good!

We are coming off a great Thanksgiving dinner yesterday! Thanks to all who braved the wet weather and came in for a wonderful dining experience :)

If you want another stab at great Thanksgiving food and leftovers, come in to Restaurant Kolumbia today (Friday) for Happy Hour starting at 5pm. Chef Jamie has two Thanksgiving treats for you:

Philadelphia Bob - This is a classic "Philly thing." Chef Jamie is using a sub roll, roasted turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and onions for this. It will be served with "Best on K" Fries

We also have some Turkey Ballotines left.

Try these with one of our great wines by the glass or the Hook and Ladder Golden Ale. Who says Thanksgiving has to end on Thursday.

See you at the bar :)

- John

:) -->

QUOTE(john b @ Nov 24 2006, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Philadelphia Bob - This is a classic "Philly thing." Chef Jamie is using a sub roll, roasted turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and onions for this. It will be served with "Best on K" Fries

Oh, man, that is one hell of a sandwich. Apparently it's going to be on the menu for a while (the lunch menu or happy hour? I can't remember). Run, don't walk, down to K Street and try it.

This week! Complimentary Boudin Rouge for DonRockwell members:

Come in from Happy Hour (which starts at 5pm) through the evening, mention you are a DonRockwell member and receive a sample of Chef Stachowski's "in house" made Boudin Rouge.

We are also currently showcasing a flight of three Syrah's:

Domaine d' Andezon Cotes du Rhone - 100% Syrah, grown in the Southwestern edge of the Rhone Valley. Spicy and full-bodied. This wine is intensely dark in color and in it's richness of fruit.

Robert Pecota Syrah - 100% Syrah, grown in California's Central Coast. This wine is big and rich; and has tasting notes of blackberry, plum, and herbs, with a lingering spicy finish.

3 Rings Shiraz - from South Australia's Barossa Valley. Big, ripe, and juicy come to mind when tasting this wine. Tasting notes of blackberry, wood smoke, and vanilla.

John B's recommendation - Order the flight of Syrah, and a Three(3) selection Buthcher's Board of Boudin Rouge, Fresh Kielbasa, and Smoked Lamb Shoulder.

Last but not least – (1) Thanks to all of you who have come and tried the Philadelphia Bob. It's been a hit! (2) Be on the lookout for the new lunch menu for the month of December.

See you at the Bar

John B :P

Come in from Happy Hour (which starts at 5pm) through the evening, mention you are a DonRockwell member and receive a sample of Chef Stachowski's "in house" made Boudin Rouge.

Domaine d' Andezon Cotes du Rhone - 100% Syrah, grown in the Southwestern edge of the Rhone Valley. Spicy and full-bodied. This wine is intensely dark in color and in it's richness of fruit.

Robert Pecota Syrah - 100% Syrah, grown in California's Central Coast. This wine is big and rich; and has tasting notes of blackberry, plum, and herbs, with a lingering spicy finish.

3 Rings Shiraz - from South Australia's Barossa Valley. Big, ripe, and juicy come to mind when tasting this wine. Tasting notes of blackberry, wood smoke, and vanilla.

John B's recommendation - Order the flight of Syrah, and a Three(3) selection Buthcher's Board of Boudin Rouge, Fresh Kielbasa, and Smoked Lamb Shoulder.

Last but not least – (1) Thanks to all of you who have come and tried the Philadelphia Bob. It's been a hit! (2) Be on the lookout for the new lunch menu for the month of December.

See you at the Bar

The Pecota Syrah is really good. Chris was pouring it for quite a while at Dino.

See you at the Bar

Will this still be going on tomorrow? Are there other food and drink specials during happy hour? My wife and I may be in the area tomorrow and would love to stop in (we've never been).

My friend and I went halfsies on the turkey dinner sandwich and the fritto misto. To my surprise, I preferred the turkey dinner sandwich. Pickled onions, turkey, avocado, lettuce, pumpernickel stuffing with pine nuts, cranberries, mayo on rye - this stuff is awesome. The pickled onions really made a great acidic foil to the other ingredients. Best on K frites and a few slices of pickle. Mmm..

Fritto misto was disappointing. Some of the items were a little undersalted, and I wasn't a big fan of the batter. Little crab cakes on top were nice though. It was also maybe just a little too much fried food for me - everything just felt a little too heavy.

My husband and I had the pleasure of eating at Kolumbia last night as part of a large group (about 40 people). I was so impressed by the food and the service that I can't wait to go back for a more intimate dinner.

It should be said that Chef Jamie was out that evening (en route to NYC to appear on the Today Show - congrats!). The kitchen was masterfully overseen by sous chef Jay. I can say that they never missed a beat. Two things I loved: simple ingredients (nothing was "overdone"); and really cool texture contrasts within courses.

Course 1: Terrine of all sorts of good things

I know there was rabbit, foie gras, trotter, veal cheek and tongue in there. It was served with a wonderful quince puree and bean salad to accompany. Amazing medly of textures and flavors.

Course 2: Warm lobster salad on beet carpaccio

Mmmmmmm. Warm, tender, plump lobster was perfectly prepared.

Course 3: Sablefish

This came breaded and sauteed/fried and was a really cool take on a fancy fish dish. It came with a yummy tomato tartlet thingee.

Course 4: Virginia Venison (roasted? and sliced thin)

The star of the meal! Local venison that was so tender, I cut it easily with the side of my fork. It came with the most amazing chestnut puree ever. I could have shmeared this puree on anything...

Course 5: Citrus in puff pastry with vodka syrup

Light and sweet but chewy at the same time. Again, a perfect combination of textures.

The portions were perfectly planned, as I finished all five courses (plus hors d'oeuvres) and felt comfortable, not stuffed. Even though the food was prepared and plated for a large group, everything tasted as fresh as if it were made just for me. And piping hot, too. The service was wonderful - very prompt and pleasant, orchestrated by Carolyn, who was a warm and gracious host all evening.

Overall, fabulous evening! Can't wait to try it again...

How is it that Chef can appear on the Today Show, yet no one in this city talks about this restaurant except, maybe, us?

Not to change topic, but I thought Tom's review of Eamonn's/PX was unnecessary, considering that there are plenty of other full service restaurants in the city that may be more deserving of the spotlight (or a public spanking).

This is one of them.

*I love the chipper and p/x, I'm just sayin' :P

How is it that Chef can appear on the Today Show, yet no one in this city talks about this restaurant except, maybe, us?

Not to change topic, but I thought Tom's review of Eamonn's/PX was unnecessary, considering that there are plenty of other full service restaurants in the city that may be more deserving of the spotlight (or a public spanking).

This is one of them.

*I love the chipper and p/x, I'm just sayin' :P

Channel 4 news had a clip of the Today Show segment, and passed on a few of Chef's tips.

My husband and I had the pleasure of eating at Kolumbia last night as part of a large group (about 40 people). I was so impressed by the food and the service that I can't wait to go back for a more intimate dinner.

It should be said that Chef Jamie was out that evening (en route to NYC to appear on the Today Show - congrats!). The kitchen was masterfully overseen by sous chef Jay. I can say that they never missed a beat. Two things I loved: simple ingredients (nothing was "overdone"); and really cool texture contrasts within courses.

Course 1: Terrine of all sorts of good things

I know there was rabbit, foie gras, trotter, veal cheek and tongue in there. It was served with a wonderful quince puree and bean salad to accompany. Amazing medly of textures and flavors.

Course 2: Warm lobster salad on beet carpaccio

Mmmmmmm. Warm, tender, plump lobster was perfectly prepared.

Course 3: Sablefish

This came breaded and sauteed/fried and was a really cool take on a fancy fish dish. It came with a yummy tomato tartlet thingee.

Course 4: Virginia Venison (roasted? and sliced thin)

The star of the meal! Local venison that was so tender, I cut it easily with the side of my fork. It came with the most amazing chestnut puree ever. I could have shmeared this puree on anything...

Course 5: Citrus in puff pastry with vodka syrup

Light and sweet but chewy at the same time. Again, a perfect combination of textures.

The portions were perfectly planned, as I finished all five courses (plus hors d'oeuvres) and felt comfortable, not stuffed. Even though the food was prepared and plated for a large group, everything tasted as fresh as if it were made just for me. And piping hot, too. The service was wonderful - very prompt and pleasant, orchestrated by Carolyn, who was a warm and gracious host all evening.

Overall, fabulous evening! Can't wait to try it again...

Jill,

It was indeed a great evening. A few more observations:

Course 1: There were two terrines, one was a veal tongue and a sweetbread, the other was foie gras and rabbit. I know that there were other stuff in them, but no matter what was in them, they were fabulous. The veal terrine was quite popular at my table until my unadventurous tablemates found out about the tongue and sweetbreads. The green bean salad that was served on the foie gras terrine was a nice match.

Course 2: The lobster was delectable, but I thought that the bitterness of the endive was overpowering, and drowned out the sweetness of the lobster meat, and the earthiness of the beet.

Course 3: The fish was unbelievable, and the two sauces it was served with were a nice accompaniment. While the tart was indeed "yummy" I thought that a little of the tart went a long way.

Course 4: My tablemates would disagree with me about this, but I have to agree that the chestnut puree was unbelievable, I think that they tried it alone and not with the rich venison so they were a little off put by it, but then again one of the people at the table kept referring to the sauce as a gravy.

Course 5: This very simple dessert was stunning. I am not sure if you got a sip of the Nectar Imperial with the tartness of the grapefruit, but the sweet Champagne tasted like a full bodied brut.

Now you just have to figure out which Steve I am :P

What if you don't have a larding needle?

Jamie: Well you better go get one.

I'm watching this clip and imagining him telling the reporter afterwards "shove that fruit in there. more! more!"

Also interesting (as noted before) his continuing love affair with amaretto-based marinades/sauces.

Stopped by today for lunch and ran into agm and DanielK (I think that's the right Daniel anyway :-) ). They were out of the Bob but it had been replaced with lamb meatballs with mashed potatoes. The mashed potatoes were a bit thicker than I've seen them typically, without lumps (hey, sometimes I like a couple lumps in my mashed potatoes :-) ), and wonderfully creamy. The lamb meatballs had a bit of a spice kick to them that took me by surprise at first but that I really enjoyed.

Probably my favorite lunch dish that I've had there, though the mushroom lasagna runs in a close second.

Stopped by today for lunch and ran into agm and DanielK (I think that's the right Daniel anyway :-) ).

Yup - that was me.

Fritto misto was disappointing. Some of the items were a little undersalted, and I wasn't a big fan of the batter. Little crab cakes on top were nice though. It was also maybe just a little too much fried food for me - everything just felt a little too heavy.

I liked the batter - I thought the salt level was spot on. I needed a second ramekin of sauce, though. I'm with you on the volume - it's not that the portion size was huge, but it was just too much fried food all at once. Maybe if they went half-and-half on the fritto misto and a salad or greens of some kind, I'd be happier with it.

agm's lentil salad looked amazing. I've had the mushroom lasagne in the past, so I'm shooting for the lamb meatballs next time.

Oh, and the spread with the bread basket is now butternut squash, replacing the eggplant. A little too insipid, maybe - needed a bit of a spice kick.

Restaurant Kolumbia has the traditional Polish Christmas Kielbasa available for sale $8 a pound. Fresh this week, next week smoked.

Call 202 331 5551 to order!

Is it possible to eat five pounds of Kielbasa over the course of a couple of days? Hell, ya!!! Especially if it's Chef Stachowski's homemade kielbasa.

I wandered into the kitchen of Restaurant Kolumbia on Saturday to find Jamie in the process of stuffing the sausage casings for my order. I grilled half of it "as is" and parboiled the other half in beer prior to grilling. The parboiled ones seemed to be a wee bit moister. All were not too spicy but quite flavourful. They were the hit of my Christmas appetizer plate.

I don't know if they're going to continue doing this after the holiday season or not, but it's nice to be able to bring a little of Kolumbia home so I can take the credit for all their hard work :P Can't recommend this enough.

ps. congrats to the staff of RK for landing the #42 spot on the Washingtonian's list. Good job and well deserved!

Somehow, the distance from 17th & Penn to 18th & K usually seems like walking to the West Coast, but with the work lull this week, I went over Kolumbia for the bar lunch for the first time today. The turkey sandwich was terrific, as were the frites, but I am mainly posting to tell all of you who work within walking distance, like me, but have not made the journey, for whatever reason - go this week! It was almost completely empty at 12:30, with only two occupied tables in the back and me alone at the bar until two others walked in about halfway through my meal. I was graciously welcomed by the staff despite my no-meetings-today jeans and turtleneck attire, and the sandwich arrived within 10 minutes of ordering. Though I will perhaps leave out the pint of Hook and Ladder next time, as I have had motivational issues at work this afternoon...

I stopped by for the lunch special today. Unfortunately they were out of the lasagna which I was hoping to try. Had the fritto instead. It was delicious and the breading was wonderfully light and didn't interfere with the seafood beneath the coating. The portion size was a bit small, but I probably shouldn't have that much deep-fried goodness anyways (and a restaurant should be able to turn a profit, too). I finished the repast off with the chocolate hazelnut mousse. A rather delicious ode to Nutella (if there isn't Nutella in the mousse itself, darned if it doesn't taste like it). A nice little dollop of white chocolate ice cream accompanied it.

I'll definitely head back for the turkey sandwich. I also want to try the butcher board, which I was told wasn't available for lunch.