Ravi Kabob I and II, Pakistani in Arlington - Springfield Location is Now Karahi Kabob House

A friend of mine has been telling me that I should definitely try this place located in Arlington on the N Glebe road while driving up to Ballston on the right hand side next to a Suntrust bank.(enough directions?)
this is a place which you wont expect alot. there is no ambiance no decor there is no nothing but chairs , tables and the counter where you order your food.
The prices are cheaper if you compare to Moby Dicks but you get the same amount of food .
Now that Im Turkish , call it eather Middle east or Europe I dont care , we have good kabobs in Turkey. As a matter of fact those Turkish restaurants that claim their kabobs are good , they are nothing comparable to the ones in Turkey.
What Im saying is I know a good kabob and the best ones.
I ordered the lamb chops because my friend told me everytime he orders those, and my companion ordered the Ravi kabob special. Both meals are served with homemade pita (I think better than MDicks) with salad , rice and chick peas, and some yogurt sauce. yogurt sauce is not that good, its just ok .
Ravi special is chicken kabob and ground beef kabob combined. but this chicken is the most tender and moist and flavorful chicken ever as a kabob. I havent eaten a better chicken kabob in United States. Lamb chops were great also but alittle oversalted , but hey , who gives a damn. I`ll keep going to this place just for the chicken kabobs.
There is not much else to say, total check was 26$ including 2 bottled drinks.

I love Ravi. I particularly like any of the ground meat Kabobs, they are generally very well seasoned.

Last week I noticed that there is a new store front on the other side of the street (a bit closer to Rt. 50) with a sign in the window saying something along the lines of "Coming Soon Ravi Kabob", so I take it they are moving soon.

Maybe after my wife and I went there this evening. I've been before and for the last several weeks we've been on a kebob kick with stops at Reston Kebob (Afghanistan) (which we have become totally addicted to-far superior to our first visit, the last ten have been outstanding), Shamshiry, Amoo's, Kebob Bazaar, Moby Dick, Simply Grill and a few others. Ravi is a nondescript, cramped Pakistani storefront with barely enough room to wedge between a soft drink cooler and the register to order. All kebobs are cooked to order which means 15+ minutes.

They are worth it.

Succulent, flavorful, juicy, meaty and served with an excellent house made yogurt. Chickpeas are ladled on top of the rice (only one scoop of each) with dry salad and hot, very fluffy nan. Vegetables here are very good. But the real star are the various kebobs including both boneless and bone in chicken and a number of others.

There are actually two Ravi's, one a new restaurant diagonally across the street. This evening, at 6:00PM, only the original was open however. At 6:30 Ravi's had a line out the door-it is enormously popular with a large following.

Shamshiry continues to have the best rice with Amoo's second (owned by a relative of Shamshiry's owner); Simply Grill has an excellent vegetable kebob and the best homemade hot sauce of all of these. The hottest sauce of any is the thick, green sauce at Reston Kebob which, along with housemade yogurt, is a perfect compliment to excellent kebobs. Moby's, of course, is very good along with excellent hummus

Over the years I've probably been to every decent kebob house in the D. C. area it seems. Sorrento in Herndon comes to mind as a particularly good one also. I am not a big fan of the several kebob houses in Crystal City however. Ravi probably stands at the top for their chicken kebobs. Overall, I think Shamshiry is still the best.

Don't sell Ravi Kabob in Arlington short. News flash: They've either opened, or are just about to open, another Ravi Kabab right across Glebe Road (catacorner, to be precise). They're not closing the first one, either.

it was june 10th when I first tried that new Ravi across the old place. I brought some friends with me and we were the only people in the house besides the three cooks , cashier and the owner. I had a short chat with the owner and said congrats.

couple days later another friend of mine told me that the new place is not open yet because when he arrived no one was there so he had to go to the old place.

the owner also mentioned that he is aiming more families than individuals in the new place.

Wow! Why I have never been here before? Jlock and I stopped by after consulting the Washingtonian cheap eats list we keep in the backseat in case we find ourselves hungry in the suburbs, and we were incredibly impressed. We wanted to try the bone-in chicken kabob, the lamb karahi, and the chickpeas that were recommended. The only problem was that the kahari is for two. They tried to convince us that it was way too much food for the two of us as they both came with bread and salad (and the karahi comes with bread and salad for 2). But, we decided we could always take some of it home. As we sat in the dingy seating area, this amazing smell grew and grew behind the counter. After some time, our food was ready for pickup, and they were right. There was a ton of it!

Then we started eating, and we just couldn't stop. The chicken kabob was some of the best textured chicken that I have ever had - and the flavor was amazing. They had made a mistake with our karahi order and given us chicken instead of lamb, which left us with a ton of chicken. But, it was so good! The chickpeas, although the most mild of everything, were extremely flavorful. The bread was great, the sauce was great, the rice was wonderful; everything was just amazing. In the end, we ate every single bite, and started calling family members on the way home to tell them how great it was. All for under $25.

In Arlington, there are a handful places that one really must try if living in the DC area. Ravi is one of them.

While I have never tried a bad dish at the place, the stars of the show are the Kabob Karahi and the boneless tandoori chicken breasts. The Karahi sits in an incredibly flavorful dark gravy permeates so well into the slow-cooked, soft kabob, which should always be eaten in a big scoop in one of their delicious naans. The chicken is a more subtle dish but just as satisfying, as the chicken is as moist as you will find outside of Pollo Rico.

Other great dishes include the lamb kabob, the chicken tikka, the chole (chickpeas), and the veggie samosas done Pakistani style (yogurt, chole, and onions all mixed together in a bowl).

Never had a bad meal at Ravi, although the service on its best day would be described as "surly" and the space could be much cleaner.

Ravi kabob is the best authentic pakistani kabob house in the area. I eat there 2x a week, and glad there are others who appreciate good eatin'. Just want to point out to readers, that while many confuse indian,pakistani,and afgan restaurants...Ravi is strictly pakistani. The karhai is a speciality of punjab i.e. Lahore,Pakistan and the chick peas variation is also very common in pakistan.. I have tried kabob palace in arlington and other kabob houses, none have the consistent quality and flavor of ravi..

most of the indian restaurant i frequent are very good w/ lentils, veggie dishes like 'palak paneer' but when it comes to lamb,chicken,beef curries, i think ravi has them beat..

can't wait to go there next week.. bon appetite folks!

dcfoodlover.

Never had a bad meal at Ravi, although the service on its best day would be described as "surly"
I would agree with your assessment about the older location, but the two head guys at the new location are incredibly nice and helpful. I have come to the conclusion that I go more for the chickpeas than for the kabobs (which are still amazing). Just a bit of advice, if you go on Eid ul Adha expect a long wait for your food (you have another year until you have to worry about making the same mistake I did), but the wait was well worth it.

My fiancée and I had dinner at Ravi Kabob last night. I had the punjabi curry, which featured pakora swimming in a creamy, spicy, but oddly flavorless sauce. Not bad, but not good enough to get again. The side of chickpeas was outstanding, and the naan was very, very good, though not amazing. The samosa we started with were surprisingly spicy, which I appreciated, though they had obviously been reheated and had a somewhat unpleasant chewy texture.

The experience was sullied by something I saw in the kitchen area. As noted above, I ordered the punjabi curry, a vegetarian entree. When my plate was brought to my table, the entree I had been presented with was some sort of curry with meat in it. I anticipated that this would happen, as I saw the guy in the kitchen ladle out of a different buffet tray than where I knew the punjabi curry to be. I didn't say anything because I couldn't be sure that the plate in question was definitely my order. So when the plate was, in fact, set down in front of me, I sent it back. The server picked up the plate, took it back to the front of the store, handed it over the counter to the guy in the kitchen, and the guy in the kitchen proceeded to dump the uneaten meat curry back into the serving buffet! I suspect, though I don't know, that this is impermissible under the relevant health code, and such casual disregard (or simple ignorance) of the health code is enough to prevent me from returning.

most of the indian restaurant i frequent are very good w/ lentils, veggie dishes like 'palak paneer' but when it comes to lamb,chicken,beef curries, i think ravi has them beat..

When most people are trashed, they walk into 7-11 for a burrito. Me? I end up with a Ravi Kabob Mughaz Masala for two ($16.99). This is a dish of chopped-up lamb brain, served in a complex, spicy masala gravy with plenty of tandoor bread for dunking and soaking.

The question "Where do I get brain?" is usually followed by the answer Bistro d'Oc, which serves it in a classic meuniere preparation. But I tell you: This is a whole 'nother level of cuisine. It's a must-try and a fantastic dish that, in it's own way, reminds me of something Peter Chang might have done at China Star in his heyday. I know it's a stretch to be reaching over to Szechuan here, but try it and you'll see what I mean.

Ravi Kabob is incredible.

Cheers,

Rocks.

This past weekend my (new) wife and I had our wedding catered by Ravi Kabob, ordering food to serve 150. What arrived was enough samosas, chole, naan, rice, salad, gulab jamun, kabob karahi, and boneless chicken to feed 250 people. I know I'm biased here, but our guests were absolutely thrilled by the offering and I can say that I have not had better food at a catered event.

For less than $20/person and free delivery to the site over 45 minutes away, we couldn't have been happier with the food on our special day. Thanks Ravi!

This past weekend my (new) wife and I had our wedding catered by Ravi Kabob, ordering food to serve 150. What arrived was enough samosas, chole, naan, rice, salad, gulab jamun, kabob karahi, and boneless chicken to feed 250 people. I know I'm biased here, but our guests were absolutely thrilled by the offering and I can say that I have not had better food at a catered event.

For less than $20/person and free delivery to the site over 45 minutes away, we couldn't have been happier with the food on our special day. Thanks Ravi!

Congratulations!

Ravi kabob is the best authentic pakistani kabob house in the area. I eat there 2x a week, and glad there are others who appreciate good eatin'. Just want to point out to readers, that while many confuse indian,pakistani,and afgan restaurants...Ravi is strictly pakistani. The karhai is a speciality of punjab i.e. Lahore,Pakistan and the chick peas variation is also very common in pakistan.. I have tried kabob palace in arlington and other kabob houses, none have the consistent quality and flavor of ravi.

How are the seekh kabobs? I stopped by for the first time last week and ordered only the lamb. Definitely some of the most tender kabobs I've had in a while. And yeah, the chickpeas were superb too.

Best Pakistani food I've ever had remains Shalimar in San Francisco.

How are the seekh kabobs? I stopped by for the first time last week and ordered only the lamb. Definitely some of the most tender kabobs I've had in a while. And yeah, the chickpeas were superb too.

Best Pakistani food I've ever had remains Shalimar in San Francisco.

the seekh kebabs are really awesome. when i lived in ballston i used to eat ravi at least 3 times a month. i always had trouble choosing between the seekh and the lamb chops.

i can't give enough love for either.

I totally agree with the previous postings: Ravi's Kabob House rules! This is coming from a South Asian cuisine connoisseur... I love the food with such a passion that people have told me that in my previous life, I must have been an Indian.

That said, I would highly recommend going to specifically Ravi's Kabob House TWO. Not only is the decor relatively upscale, there is an abundance of light and more parking. I absolutely concur with Sthitch that the service is warm and helpful, and the head chef, Walter, is an absolute talent. Walter and his staff are equally adept when things are quiet or totally crowded.

The veggie curry, especially the zucchini, are perfect accompaniment to the kabobs and naan--or by themselves for vegetarians! Walter and his staff know how to just perfectly bring out the natural sweetness of the veggies and add that nice hit of clove... I'm getting hungry :D

Nowadays, I only go to Ravi's Kabob House 2. While I like the chicken curry and may want to go with something else for a change, I can't help but order our (me and mom) usual of bone-in and boneless chicken kabobs. I would suggest asking for the bread first, that way you can savor it in all its heavenly hot, crisp, and soft glory!

Having been to (and eating out, of course :P) in London, I can honestly say that even a deli run by a South Asian has better food than most restaurants in the DC-area (and we're probably one of the best cities for South Asian cuisine in the U.S.!). After returning from London, there are only two South Asian restaurants that still stands out:

- Ravi's Kabob House 2 for kabobs (and veggie curries)

- Passage to India for curries (and the best rice pudding)

Namaste/Namaskar!

A friend of mine has been telling me that I should definitely try this place located in Arlington on the N Glebe road while driving up to Ballston on the right hand side next to a Suntrust bank.(enough directions?)

this is a place which you wont expect alot. there is no ambiance no decor there is no nothing but chairs , tables and the counter where you order your food.

The prices are cheaper if you compare to Moby Dicks but you get the same amount of food .

Now that Im Turkish , call it eather Middle east or Europe I dont care , we have good kabobs in Turkey. As a matter of fact those Turkish restaurants that claim their kabobs are good , they are nothing comparable to the ones in Turkey.

What Im saying is I know a good kabob and the best ones.

I ordered the lamb chops because my friend told me everytime he orders those, and my companion ordered the Ravi kabob special. Both meals are served with homemade pita (I think better than MDicks) with salad , rice and chick peas, and some yogurt sauce. yogurt sauce is not that good, its just ok .

Ravi special is chicken kabob and ground beef kabob combined. but this chicken is the most tender and moist and flavorful chicken ever as a kabob. I havent eaten a better chicken kabob in United States. Lamb chops were great also but alittle oversalted , but hey , who gives a damn. I`ll keep going to this place just for the chicken kabobs.

There is not much else to say, total check was 26$ including 2 bottled drinks.

Probably the best kabobs I've had in this area. Amazing.

Isn't there already a kabob place in that shopping center?

Stopped by the new outpost in Springfield for takeout. This is certainly a welcome addition to the neighborhood that is filled with far too few decent places.

On December 23rd, I ordered a Lamb Karahi For Two ($21.99) at the original Ravi Kabob for carryout. When I arrived about 30 minutes later, I was told my order wasn't quite ready. It was about 8:30 PM, the place was pretty crowded, and I felt like I was in Islamabad (Ravi is a very transporting dining experience, which is one of things I like about it).

I waited a good 15 minutes for my order to be ready, took it home, and had one of the greatest lamb dishes I've ever eaten. It comes with two pieces of Naan, and four little plastic tubs of Maste Khiar. A side order of rice was $2.50. I believe (but am not certain) that Ravi gets their lamb from Union Halal Butcher on Wilson Blvd., which I think is also the source of Layalina's wonderful Kibbeh Nayeh, etc.

How good was the lamb? So good that I ordered it again last night (Merry Muslim Christmas, Dean!), and was going to take it over to my mom's house for a Christmas visit. Around 6 PM, I was told that they were out of lamb, so I ordered a Fish Karahi and Chicken Karahi for carryout. Again, around 30 minutes later I arrived to pick up my order, only to be told that it would be "20 more minutes." At around 6:30, the place was packed, and I didn't feel like waiting around, so I canceled the order and left.

I thought it was a little strange that they didn't have any lamb, so a little after 9 PM, I had a friend call for me. My friend speaks Hindi (which is easily understandable by anyone who speaks Urdu), and ordered a lamb karahi over the phone. Guess what? They had lamb, and assured my insistent henchman that the order would be ready in 20 minutes, which it was. I believe that on my two previous visits, Ravi waited until I arrived to begin cooking my order.

There were two reasons given for why they didn't have lamb at 6 PM. First, they said they got a delivery at 7:30 PM. (Oh, yeah?) Second, they were going to be catering a lunch today for - get this - 2,600 people. Twice they were asked, 2,600? Really? Yes, 2,600. I'm not quite sure what that has to do with my 6 PM order, but it is impressive nonetheless.

The lamb karahi last night, ordered medium-spicy, was every bit as great as the one I had two nights before. This dish (also the Mughaz Masala ($21.99, lamb-brain karahi)) is off-the-charts. After many visits to Ravi Kabob, including several that left me disappointed, I now feel qualified to present to you:

Your Guide To Surviving Ravi Kabob

1. Go to the original location. Ravi Kabob is under expansion, and planning to open their fourth location in (surprise!) Rockville.

2. Order lamb, not chicken or fish.

3. Order a karahi, not the daily specials which are merely steam-table items. The kabobs can range from middling to outstanding.

4. Order in Urdu.

5. If ordering carryout, insist that your order is ready when you arrive.

6. Bring plenty of cash. Like many other high-volume, Arlington County restaurants, Ravi Kabob is cash-only.

7. Throw away your old carryout menus. In the past year or so, Ravi Kabob's prices have skyrocketed - e.g., Chicken Kabob from $7.75 to $9.50, Lamb Karahi from $16.99 to $21.99, Daily Specials from $7.50 to $8.99. And you know what? They're still worth every penny... for now.

Cheers,

Rocks.

The lamb karahi last night, ordered medium-spicy, was every bit as great as the one I had two nights before. This dish (also the Mughaz Masala ($21.99, lamb-brain karahi)) is off-the-charts.

I, too, adore RK. But my recent visits to Kabob 'n' Karahi have convinced me that Ravi's lamb karahi is "merely" the second-best in town. Be curious to hear your thoughts once you've compared.

4. Order in Urdu.

Darn...maybe that's been my problem!

An important item missing from your list is to place the order, either at the Arlington HQs or the Springfield outpost, and then head to the Thai restaurant next door (both in Arlington and in Springfield) to get semi-smashed, since none of the Ravi's serve alcohol. By the time your order is ready you should have a nice buzz on....

Ravi Kabobs I and II (in Arlington) have received rave reviews (including here), but I can't really find much online about their newer location in Springfield. Anyone tried it (or know anything about it)? TIA! :angry:

yes and it tasted the same as the other two.

yes and it tasted the same as the other two.

Concur. It tastes the same, and the menu may be slightly smaller. But it's about the same quality.

Interestingly, it has some serious competition in Springfield. Aabshaar is just up Backlick Road about a quarter of a mile, and it's pretty good Pakistani fare with a banquet room. There are also a few Indian places within walking distance of Ravi Kabob House in Springfield, like Chutny and the newer Hot Bakes and Cakes. In my humble opinion, kabobs are the second most ubiquitous dishes in Springfield, trailing Peruvian chicken, but not by much.

The lamb karahi last night, ordered medium-spicy, was every bit as great as the one I had two nights before. This dish (also the Mughaz Masala ($21.99, lamb-brain karahi)) is off-the-charts.

4. Order in Urdu.

Tonight's lamb karahi, ordered in semi-passable Urdu by someone of South Asian origin who picked the language up while living in Delhi for a few years, with a pasty white guy (yours truly) standing next to her, and without specifying any spice level, came out bland, bland, bland. So I might modify the ordering rules to say:

1. Order in perfectly fluent Urdu.

2. Don't let any white guys in your group into the restaurant until the food is delivered.

3. Tell them you want it spicy. ;)

I went to Ravi II for the first time, and it was all that was promised upthread, plus really friendly service. We played it simple with the kabob special, but the kabobs were terrific and I loved the chickpeas. If I understand it correctly from the staff, the Springfield location (the only Ravi I had been to before) has recently closed :) According to their reports, however, Ravi I & II are still going strong.

I went to Ravi II for the first time, and it was all that was promised upthread, plus really friendly service. We played it simple with the kabob special, but the kabobs were terrific and I loved the chickpeas. If I understand it correctly from the staff, the Springfield location (the only Ravi I had been to before) has recently closed sad.gif According to their reports, however, Ravi I & II are still going strong.

According to their website at http://www.ravikabobusa.com/, there is still Ravi I and II, with Ravi IV coming soon to Rockville, but no mention of Ravi III. So there you have it, I think.

Ravi II was (and Ravi I looked) still busy around 10 PM this Saturday. It was $12.99 for the ravi special and $21.99 for the chicken karahi ($23.99 for the lamb). The kabobs were moist and fantastic, as always, and even though it is not shown in the picture menu, the kabob plates still come with a scoop of rice and chickpeas (I almost ordered them separately because they weren't pictured, then was happily surprised).

Are there long wait-times at Ravi Kabob on weeknights, to eat in?

Looking for a place to eat with a group of 8 or 10 (including 2 or 3 tweens, pickiness level unknown), pre-theater at TJ Middle School in Arlington, on a Thursday night. Closest options look to include Ravi Kabob, Lost Dog Cafe, Thai Square, El Paso Cafe, Pupuseria Dona Azucena, and Bob & Edith's Diner. (Also EatBar, but since they don't take reservations and we have theater tickets for 8 p.m., I'm not going to risk it.)

Most kabob houses will advise you to order in advance, because they are not fast food. If you walk in and place an order for 8-10 people, you can expect to wait a good half hour for food. And the seating area is kind of small to begin with.

In the general area you're referring to, there is also El Pollo Rico near Virginia Square. Same spartan atmosphere but you'll get your food a little quicker.

Most kabob houses will advise you to order in advance, because they are not fast food. If you walk in and place an order for 8-10 people, you can expect to wait a good half hour for food. And the seating area is kind of small to begin with.

In the general area you're referring to, there is also El Pollo Rico near Virginia Square. Same spartan atmosphere but you'll get your food a little quicker.

Thank you!

Genevieve go with Ravi, just get the menu online and order ahead. It is by far the best of the options you listed IMO, and well worth going to. It is a really unique experience in this area and the food is truly authentic, which you don't find often at the India or Pakistani restaurants in the area.

Genevieve go with Ravi, just get the menu online and order ahead. It is by far the best of the options you listed IMO, and well worth going to. It is a really unique experience in this area and the food is truly authentic, which you don't find often at the India or Pakistani restaurants in the area.

Thanks! I definitely will go there another time - this week, the group decided on El Paso Cafe (which takes reservations), but we're not far and will try Ravi soon.

I've deleted this tweet:

Getting tired of feeling like a black man in a 1960s Mississippi diner whenever I go to Ravi Kabob.

because I can't pretend to know what that level of racism felt like, especially when it was accompanied by the terror of wondering if the sheriff and his klan were waiting for you outside.

But I am sick of feeling discriminated against every time I walk into Ravi Kabob I. My parting comments to the older gentleman at the cash register? "Racism is alive and well."

I've deleted this tweet:

because I can't pretend to know what that level of racism felt like, especially when it was accompanied by the terror of wondering if the sheriff and his klan were waiting for you outside.

But I am sick of feeling discriminated against every time I walk into Ravi Kabob I. My parting comments to the older gentleman at the cash register? "Racism is alive and well."

I've gotten good service there, but I have seen what you are talking about. Just be thankful you aren't a young female when you walk by the line of day laborers in that area.

Mind if I ask for more specifics? Just out of curiousity, mostly. For fairly obvious reasons (I'm Indian-American) I've never had a problem there.

Mind if I ask for more specifics? Just out of curiousity, mostly. For fairly obvious reasons (I'm Indian-American) I've never had a problem there.

There's no way I can write something like I did without being properly asked to back it up with detail. It would take 500+ words to correctly capture all the nuances and subtleties (and even then, it would only be one side of the story). I have to leave in thirty minutes, so let me promise some substantiation (but not 500 words worth) in the next 24 hours.

I don't have any desire to "bring down" Ravi Kabob - I love their food - but I wish their attitudes would change. I'm also wondering if it's "just me" or if anyone else has experienced this here. You often hear people of color say that they experience what I'd call "invisible racism" - something that a bystander might not even notice - every single day, and I know *exactly* what they're talking about and I believe them.

There's no way I can write something like I did without being properly asked to back it up with detail. It would take 500+ words to correctly capture all the nuances and subtleties (and even then, it would only be one side of the story). I have to leave in thirty minutes, so let me promise some substantiation (but not 500 words worth) in the next 24 hours.

I don't have any desire to "bring down" Ravi Kabob - I love their food - but I wish their attitudes would change. I'm also wondering if it's "just me" or if anyone else has experienced this here. You often hear people of color say that they experience what I'd call "invisible racism" - something that a bystander might not even notice - every single day, and I know *exactly* what they're talking about and I believe them.

Okay, let me give a brief explanation of last night - which mirrored several experiences I've had in the past, although went even a step beyond.

I was at a concert at The Birchmere, and was hungry afterwards, so stopped at Ravi on the way home, around 11 PM. The restaurant was crowded as it usually is at that time, but there was only one other person at the register.

After the other person ordered, I was the only person standing there. The older gentleman (who is often at the register) wasn't taking my order despite being three feet in front of me. So I started sort-of shifting my weight side-to-side to create a "presence" - he acknowledged me, and I asked for the chicken curry with chole and greens, all of which was right there in the steam table area. He asked "salad, no salad?" I said "salad." I paid for the order, he gave me my change, and I took a seat right there. This all sounds very normal, but there was such an unpleasant reluctance to the whole transaction (I felt like they did not want me there at all) that I was looking forward to getting my order and getting out of there.

Fully 15 minutes went by. Only 1-2 other customers came in and ordered during that time, and I was just sitting there, being ignored. I can't swear it was exactly 15 minutes (it might have been 12; it might have been 20), but it was long enough where I was inspired to tweet what I did, right then and there.

I finally realized that I wasn't going to get my food unless I became pro-active. So I got up, and stood right there at the register, even leaning forward a little bit - I wasn't going to budge until I was acknowledged. When he looked over at me, I said, admittedly with an irritated tone, "Can I get my food please?" There were 2-3 younger people working within earshot. One of them began spooning up my food into a styrofoam tray, and I said, somewhat angrily, "this was a 30-second order." The person spooning up my food just looked down and could not suppress his smile. They knew what they were doing.

I was handed my food - without any greens or bread - and I looked at the older man, and said, "Racism is alive and well." He started to say, "The chicken wasn't ready ..." [bS, it was sitting there the whole time, and there was plenty of it], and I interrupted him mid-sentence, and repeated myself, a little bit louder to make sure the workers could hear me (there were no other customers at the register): "Racism is alive and well." I took my food and left. Needless to say, when I got home, there wasn't very much chicken - which is a shame because it was fantastic. The entire time, I was no more than about six feet away from the register, sitting right there, all by myself in one of the chairs.

That's my version of the story, and I suspect they'd have their own version. Whatever. If it was just me, I wouldn't care, but I fear this is happening to other people as well.

Interesting. Not to impugn your experience, but simply to add a data point:

I only ever go with an older Chinese woman named Lilly. She has been going there for years and knows the older man you mention. She's pretty well off and I think tips well. She brings me (visibly Caucasian), my Chinese father, and my Caucasian mother. She goes up to the register and orders a bunch of stuff and the staff happily brings it out. It's good service.

There are a lot of factors there that alter the experience - the personal relationship and the fact half of our party are visible minorities - but might be useful.

I've seen the attitude and behavior Don described towards white men while I've waited...its more common when they are slow. They aren't friendly towards me, but I do get promptly served as a white woman. Once they were closing early on a holiday due to crowds, they loaded up a container for me with what they had left and didn't charge me as much as they should, they are nice on occasion.

The special samosa at $3 is one of my favorite dishes in the city and can be a filling meal.

I have experienced exactly what Don experienced there many many times at Ravi I. Often my order would be sitting on top of the counter waiting to be called. An attempt of grabbing it (my number being clearly on the styrofoam container) met with a "that isn't yours" until it magically becomes mine 10 minutes later. I call in my orders now and it solves the issue for me. I haven't noticed this problem at Ravi II.