Prepared Meals

legant

A friend needs to prepare a dinner for her husband’s family but work responsibilities prevent her from cooking. She inquired about restaurants or caterers that have prepared meals -- precooked items that can be quickly heated and served.

I suggested Magruder’s, WholeFoods, Sutton Place and Dean and Deluca. Any others?

A friend needs to prepare a dinner for her husband’s family but work responsibilities prevent her from cooking.  She inquired about restaurants or caterers that have prepared meals -- precooked items that can be quickly heated and served. 

I suggested Magruder’s, WholeFoods, Sutton Place and Dean and Deluca.  Any others?

Eatzi's has good stuff but is on the expensive side.

The next several months are gonna be hellish for me at work, so I'll need to find some different quick meal options pretty soon. Recently, I've subsisted largely on food bought from Costco -- their packaged guacamole, Abuelita tortilla chips, Nathan's hot dogs, and Earthbound Farms organic salad mix. Nothing spectacular, but reliably decent.

Has anyone had good experiences with buying food from Costco, particularly the more "meal-like" items? I remember having their pot pies and frozen pizzas as a teenager but they were pretty bland and unsatisfying.

If only there were a Wegman's within a few miles of Tysons...

The next several months are gonna be hellish for me at work, so I'll need to find some different quick meal options pretty soon.  Recently, I've subsisted largely on food bought from Costco -- their packaged guacamole, Abuelita tortilla chips, Nathan's hot dogs, and Earthbound Farms organic salad mix.  Nothing spectacular, but reliably decent.

Has anyone had good experiences with buying food from Costco, particularly the more "meal-like" items?  I remember having their pot pies and frozen pizzas as a teenager but they were pretty bland and unsatisfying.

The ravioli and tortilini's aren't bad. Some of the gourmet sausages are nice.

The next several months are gonna be hellish for me at work, so I'll need to find some different quick meal options pretty soon.  Recently, I've subsisted largely on food bought from Costco -- their packaged guacamole, Abuelita tortilla chips, Nathan's hot dogs, and Earthbound Farms organic salad mix.  Nothing spectacular, but reliably decent.

Has anyone had good experiences with buying food from Costco, particularly the more "meal-like" items?  I remember having their pot pies and frozen pizzas as a teenager but they were pretty bland and unsatisfying.

The "Ling Lings" brand of Chinese dumplings at Costco are more than just reliably decent. Find them in plastic bags in the frozen food area. Throw a half-dozen into boiling water for 10 minutes, put them on your plate, add some soy sauce and chopped scallion, and you have a tasty meal.

The next several months are gonna be hellish for me at work, so I'll need to find some different quick meal options pretty soon. Recently, I've subsisted largely on food bought from Costco -- their packaged guacamole, Abuelita tortilla chips, Nathan's hot dogs, and Earthbound Farms organic salad mix. Nothing spectacular, but reliably decent.

Has anyone had good experiences with buying food from Costco, particularly the more "meal-like" items? I remember having their pot pies and frozen pizzas as a teenager but they were pretty bland and unsatisfying.

As a two attorney household, we are connisseurs of the frozen food section. :) I don't know the selection at Costco, but the Amy's, Moosewood, Cedar Lane and Ethnic gourmet frozen dinners are usually pretty reliable.

The pot pies at Whole Food are pretty decent.

MacGruder's puts alot of stuff in their roasted chickens that you may not want to know about, but they're $4 on Wednesday (?) and Saturday.

If there's a Vace convenient to you, their eggplant parmigiana is wonderful & good for turning into a sub at lunch. Pick up a bag of tortellini to heat up in chicken broth with some frozen peas and grated cheese.

As a two attorney household, we are connisseurs of the frozen food section.  :)   I don't know the selection at Costco, but the Amy's, Moosewood, Cedar Lane and Ethnic gourmet frozen dinners are usually pretty reliable.

When we had no kitchen for a lot of last year, we discovered that the frozen Amy's meals are pretty decent. Trader Joe's has (or at least had) boxed tuna curry that was very good--one in red sauce, one in yellow. I bought a lot of prepared foods from Whole Foods as well. There used to be frozen microwavable brown rice (Rice Expressions) available both at Whole Foods and Yes! that suddenly disappeared. Fortunately, it disappeared as we were finishing up our kitchen. I have no idea what happened to the product and whether it is available now, but that was very good.

I mentioned in another thread but will repeat that the chicken andouille sausages (Sausages by Amy) at Costco, Pentagon City are quite tasty.

Palak Paneer is one of my favorite Indian Dishes, the stewy (as opposed to Stewie) spinach and curds make for a wonderful combination. I was curious when I saw a frozen version by a company called Tandoor Chef how it would stand up to what I get at the Indian restaurants that I frequent. The ingredient list was short, and contained only things that are generally recognizable, so decided to give it a shot. I was surprised at just how good it was, less sweet and just as flavorful as most restaurant versions I have had.