Flaps, Potomac Village Shopping Center - Crashed.

My one visit a number of years ago did not persuade me to take the time to venture back.  My one memory was a very strange crab cake that was more like an omelet.

Interesting. That sounds a bit like the crabcakes up at Friendly Farm in Upperco, MD, which are really good (as are the fried ersters; avoid the roast beef). Of course, the shape of crabcakes has little to do with how they taste.

Haven't been there in years but remember it serving standard american fare that was a bit boring and bland. That said, if I were hungry and in the neighborhood, there aren't too many other options in Potomac Village, although I do like the italian place next door to flaps.

Heh. I spent a couple of debauched tours of duty at the original Flaps downtown, back in the day when STDs were rare and Bolivian alkaloids were not. The Potomac branch was the more refined of the two locations (I was told), Downtown was business/burger lunch and early dinner, followed by drinking and dancing once the kitchen closed and the DJ started spinning.

Based on a little googling, it appears to still be in the Rood family, though I'm guessing it's the kid (then "Robbie" as opposed to his dad, "Robert") who was 16 (and 6'6") when I was working at Flaps and who's now listed as the chef.

I suspect that their aim is more to create a convivial place for carousing -- something they were quite good at -- than to become a font of gourmet fare.

I'm curious to know if this place is any good. I've never seen or heard it mentioned anywhere other than on the Tony Kornheiser show (Flaps is a sponsor but they seem to honestly like the food).

If Tony Kornheiser jumped off a cliff would you jump off a cliff, too? ;)

Seriously, though, like almost everything else in Potomac it is mediocre - maybe 2 on a scale of 1 to 5 - but priced like it's a Major Player.

A waiter there is the reason why for years I carried in my wallet a copy of Julia Child's explanation that the original Caesar salad had no anchovies. It isn't the fact that Flaps' salad has them but rather the waiter's snotty condescenion in explaining that they offered only the original Caesar salad and that of course it has anchovies that Jerked me off. Feh. I wouldn't let that put me off if the food were any good.

Take my ramblings for what little they're worth, keeping in mind that I live 1.6 miles from Flaps and have just returned from Alexandria - and my sole reason for going was to have a Lickety Split lunch at Restaurant Eve. :) Worth the drive? Oh, yeah.

ETA Don "cling, permeate and destroy" Rocks has been editing my postings. I would never write "jerked me off". Not aboot food, anyways. <_<

I'm curious to know if this place is any good. I've never seen or heard it mentioned anywhere other than on the Tony Kornheiser show (Flaps is a sponsor but they seem to honestly like the food).

f you live near the Village, and don't have a car, it's a convenient place to drop by for very average food. Otherwise, don't bother.

If Tony Kornheiser jumped off a cliff would you jump off a cliff, too?   <_<

Feh. 

nterestingly, the only other person I've heard say/seen write "Feh" is Tony Kornheiser. Et tu Brute? ;)

Thanks to everyone for the responses. They certainly confirm that (1) there's a good reason why no one talks about Flaps and (2) Tony K. and his cronies either (i) don't know bad food or (ii) know bad food but will eat anything if it's free.

(2) Tony K. and his cronies either (i) don't know bad food or (ii) know bad food but will eat anything if it's free.

Ding, Ding, Ding.

Tony's favorite is the Palm and everyone else is more impressed by sheer quantity than quality.

Yeah, I've been wondering why anybody would care what a sports writer, no matter how famous, thinks about ANY restaurant.

once heard Sonny Jurgenson and Sam Huff absolutely rave about Bouley in NYC, back in Bouley's astounding prime. Pretty good taste for a couple of redneck ex-jocks.

Hell, I'm just a speechwriter, bilrus is a political hack, JG is a lobbyist (the catfish of the political world <_< ) and Hill runs an elementary school. Not sure why a sportswriter would be any more or less qualified than any of us to judge a restaurant.

Note also that A. J. Liebling wrote more than a couple articles about the sweet science, himself.

I once heard Sonny Jurgenson and Sam Huff absolutely rave about Bouley in NYC, back in Bouley's astounding prime.  Pretty good taste for a couple of redneck ex-jocks.

Hell, I'm just a speechwriter, bilrus is a political hack, JG is a lobbyist (the catfish of the political world  <_< ) and Hill runs an elementary school.  Not sure why a sportswriter would be any more or less qualified than any of us to judge a restaurant.

Note also that A. J. Liebling wrote more than a couple articles about the sweet science, himself.

I believe that HillValley has graduated to High School. I could be wrong about that.

Perhaps I should have clarified that I've been reading Kornheiser's stuff for more years than many of our members have been old enough to read. His expertise (or even an educated interest) in the food qualities of any restaurant have never seemed, to me, to have entered the picture. That's all I'm sayin'. Now, if you want to talk about Boswell . . .

Hell, I'm just a speechwriter, bilrus is a political hack, JG is a lobbyist (the catfish of the political world  <_< ) and Hill runs an elementary school.  Not sure why a sportswriter would be any more or less qualified than any of us to judge a restaurant.

I'm third in line at a middle school-but I like your version better ;)
I believe that HillValley has graduated to High School.  I could be wrong about that.

Nah, I'm not that smart.

But to get back on topic....I grew up listening to Tony back when he was just a local guy waiting to go national. My father and I shared a bond in our love for Tony. We ate at the Palm a few times just to look for him. Never saw him though.

My point is that Tony is a local celebrity with a loyal following. People do all sorts of things in hopes of spotting a glance of their favorite celeb. Those much further up the celebrity food chain even open their own restaurants to exploit this.

Besides, it's Tony. He is living every balding, middle aged, white, jewish guy's dream. If he gets a independantly owned restaurant some free publicity, more power to him. At least he isn't eating at Red Lobster.