Dining in Springfield

I worked in Springfield for almost 8 years--until June 2005, when SouthPaws picked up and moved to Merrifield. It didn't take me long to realize what we'd lost in terms of sources for lunch.

We were right next door to Kate's Irish Pub, which was convenient, if inconsistent. I used to always order their liver and onions lunch special to share with the dog who went to work with me every day. Their food could range from pretty good pub grub to eeeww, depending on the day.

A bakery down at the other end of that shopping center had wonderful cookies and other baked goods, as well as great home-cooked Hispanic specialties for breakfast and lunch. I don't remember the name, but it's near the mattress store and the day spa.

Dragon Sea Buffet was very popular, and often crowded. For steam table food, it was pretty good, and they had sushi, dim sum, and some exotic soups at times.

I really miss Delia's. I never set foot in the place, but their long and varied delivery menu kept us all very happy. Their entree salads, their sandwiches and subs, and even their barbecue were decent, filling, and reasonably priced. Malek's also had decent delivery, but we generally liked Delia's better. I think they made at least one delivery, and sometimes several, to our hospital every day.

Saigon City opened a couple of years ago, and offered good pho and chai gio and other Vietnamese specialties. A few blocks away, TK Thai produced decent carry out and delivery.

I'm writing this in the past tense, because I haven't eaten at any of these places since May 2005. A new kabob place was opening even as our moving vans pulled away last year, and I never got to try it. The El Paso Tex Mex place on Commerce was good, but too slow for our short lunch breaks.

I write this with a great deal of nostalgia. I have not found the lunch choices in and around Merrifield to come anywhere close to what we had in Springfield.

I worked in Springfield for almost 8 years--until June 2005, when SouthPaws picked up and moved to Merrifield. It didn't take me long to realize what we'd lost in terms of sources for lunch.

We were right next door to Kate's Irish Pub, which was convenient, if inconsistent. I used to always order their liver and onions lunch special to share with the dog who went to work with me every day. Their food could range from pretty good pub grub to eeeww, depending on the day.

The biggest problem I have with Kate's is the eye-burning, lung scorching cigarette smoke. Some of that smoke has been there since the day Kate's opened.

Dragon Sea Buffet was very popular, and often crowded. For steam table food, it was pretty good, and they had sushi, dim sum, and some exotic soups at times.

Dragon Sea is pretty decently priced but after you eat there about 3 times, all the food tastes the same. I'm not sure if that is because of the steam table or just that it really does taste the same. They do have a really good Mongolian BBQ and because you make it yourself and give it to someone to cook, you can add the ingredients you want.

I really miss Delia's. I never set foot in the place, but their long and varied delivery menu kept us all very happy. Their entree salads, their sandwiches and subs, and even their barbecue were decent, filling, and reasonably priced. Malek's also had decent delivery, but we generally liked Delia's better. I think they made at least one delivery, and sometimes several, to our hospital every day.

Delia's changed hands a while back. The qualilty suffered for a while but they seem to have righted themselves lately. Bozelli's moved from around the corner from Delia's farther down Backlick Rd. The location changed, the food didn't. Still a decent steak and cheese and if you tell them lot's of hot peppers, you get a lot of hot peppers.

Peruvian roasted chicken becoming the ubiquitous Springfield dish. I usually try it at Delia's (they bought Tumi next door) because I can take my little ones in there for my son's favorite mousaka or my daughter's favorite pizza, while I nail half a chicken. And I love the green chili sauce loaded with cilantro. There's another excellent example across Backlick in Brookfield Plaza, perhaps the best block of eating in northern Virginia.

There are also individual threads for Springfield restaurants in the Virginia Dining Guide - I'd love to beef up the Springfield section, so if anyone has any others, by all means, start a new thread. Cheers, Rocks.

Count me in. I live in Springfield and eat all over the place.

You're missing some highlights. In the close-to-Delia's category are Saratoga Family Restaurant and Malek's. In the genuine Chinese category is Canton Cafe, and in the Americanized Chinese category is Asian Grill. As for Pakistani and kabobs, there's Aabshaar on Backlick. The sashimi at Tokyo Inn is in the category of surprisingly good for a place owned by a Chinese guy. Manila Cafe is some of the best Filippino food around, Sahm Oh Jang in the Brookfield Plaza is as good as it gets for Korean food until you head farther north up Backlick to Annandale, and for a hole-in-wall Vietnamese place in the corner of a French-Vietnamese bakery, there's Le Bledo. La Hacienda in Brookfield Plaza (across from Tippy's Tacos!) has very good Mexican and Central American food, and Chutney Restaurant a little deeper into the Plaza is my go-to Indian place. Tommy Thai in the K-Mart plaza is very well executed Thai food, with fresh flavors and good atmosphere.

And I haven't even wandered down Franconia Road to Mediterranean Gourmet Market, or over to Lorton for Pane e Vino! I'm getting hungry again, even after all the food I consumed at the picnic yesterday!

I'll be happy to file reports on all of these! (Although, I have already written up a few of them...)

While we're at it, there's plenty of good eating within walking distance. Tommy Thai and Canton Cafe are the best of the restaurants in the K-Mart Plaza itself. Directly behind the K-Mart is the Manila Cafe, which may be the best Filipino fare around, including roast suckling pig on weekends. Malek's is out in front of this plaza, around the corner from the Giant on Old Keene Mill, with good pizza and some credible Ma-and-Pa Greek food. And if you want to hike down Backlick over the Old Keene Mill overpass, Aabshaar is the best Pakistani food in the area.

Just as well add Chutny to that list. Afghanistan food in the right rear corner of the shopping center across from Delia's. Hmm, sounds like it's time for a Springfield Food Tour..

OK, since you wandered that far down Backlick, allow me to suggest a few more. Le Bledo Bakery across from the Brookfield Plaza (where Chutney is) is a surprisingly good Vietnamese lunch counter type of place. And on the same side of Backlick as Chutney, but across the street, is Sahm Oh Jang, the best Korean food south of Gamasot. And then, of course, there's Delia's, where the souvlaki topped Greek salad is my comfort food, and where the Peruvian chicken from the former Tumi is some of the best in the geographic area bounded by El Pollo Rico in Arlington in the north and Don Alberto's in Woodbridge in the south. Join me for a walking tour any time!

OK, since you wandered that far down Backlick, allow me to suggest a few more. Le Bledo Bakery across from the Brookfield Plaza (where Chutney is) is a surprisingly good Vietnamese lunch counter type of place. And on the same side of Backlick as Chutney, but across the street, is Sahm Oh Jang, the best Korean food south of Gamasot. And then, of course, there's Delia's, where the souvlaki topped Greek salad is my comfort food, and where the Peruvian chicken from the former Tumi is some of the best in the geographic area bounded by El Pollo Rico in Arlington in the north and Don Alberto's in Woodbridge in the south. Join me for a walking tour any time!

I've been to Sahm Oh Jang a number of times, buy my mango jellies at Le Bledo (and it really is Chutny without the "e") and eat at Delia's probably twice a month. I think we'll have to have this added to the Eating Springfield forum. :D

While we're at it, there's plenty of good eating within walking distance. Tommy Thai and Canton Cafe are the best of the restaurants in the K-Mart Plaza itself. Directly behind the K-Mart is the Manila Cafe, which may be the best Filipino fare around, including roast suckling pig on weekends. Malek's is out in front of this plaza, around the corner from the Giant on Old Keene Mill, with good pizza and some credible Ma-and-Pa Greek food. And if you want to hike down Backlick over the Old Keene Mill overpass, Aabshaar is the best Pakistani food in the area.

I call BS on Malek's. The pizza there is crap. Flavorless dough that is served way too thick and undercooked. After two attempts I have not wanted to waste my time or money there again.

I do like Manila Cafe. Are there actually any other Filipino restaurants around?

Here's the conundrum. Within a short walk of Chutny, and I mean a really short walk, there is Ravi Kabob 3, a brand new Indian place specializing is desserts but also offering kabobs and such, Aabshaar, which is Ravi Kabob's main Pakistani competition....and then....

....House of Siam (respectable authentic Thai), Sahm Oh Jang (respectable authentic Korean), Le Bledo Bakery (directly across Backlick, and the go-to place for Vietnamese lunchtime buffet, tucked inside a French-influenced bakery), and let's not forget Tippy's Tacos!

So....because of all of the distractions, zeroing in on one place is difficult. My tummy takes me in all sorts of directions. I would highly recommend a progressive meal all over Brookfield Plaza, where we target 3 or 4 of these places and eat our way all around, then convene at La Hacienda to get smashed on margaritas.

I work in Springfield so am always interested in Kibbee Nayee's posts. She seems to get around more than I do. I am very much up for a $20 Tuesday or even a DR lunch in the area. Have yet to try Aabshar or Ravi or Chutny as I am a big fan of Food Corner, but apparently need to broaden my horizons.

I work in Springfield so am always interested in Kibbee Nayee's posts. She seems to get around more than I do. I am very much up for a $20 Tuesday or even a DR lunch in the area. Have yet to try Aabshar or Ravi or Chutny as I am a big fan of Food Corner, but apparently need to broaden my horizons.

Ilaine, you an on! I'd love to try a $20 tour of Brookfield Plaza sometime. Of course, I've done it on my own a few times but I would prefer to assemble a gaggle. Oh, by the way, Kibbee Nayee is a "he"...!

As I was stumbling through Springfield on a round of errands today, cursing the Toyota dealer for not inspecting my gas pedal on a walk-in basis, and marveling at the many Indo-Pakistani options available for lunch, I decided to try one.

I move for a separate entry in the dining guide for Aabshaar. The $7.95 all-you-can-eat buffet (Monday through Thursday, lunch AND dinner) may be the best food deal in Springfield. That's $8.43 with tax, and I happily round up to $10 just to make it simple.

Here's what was available today -- bear with me as I'm not an expert on this cuisine -- but there was plenty of salad with a house-made herb dressing, two fried appetizers (samosa and a wonderfully spicy fried ball of onion slices), about five or six hot dishes (spinach with cheese, mixed vegetable biryani, chicken peshwari, ground beef keema, basmati rice flecked with peas and herbs, and chick pea stew are all I can remember) and a very nice dessert (gulab jamun, which was heavenly).

Oh, and all the fresh tandoori nan, right out of the oven, that you can eat. Talk about a $10 Tuesday!

The food was good, probably not great, but certainly fresh, tasty, somewhat spicy and very hearty. I know it's possible to do much-much worse for ten bucks, but I'm not sure it's possible to any better for ten bucks.

They also do catering and they have a hall that can seat 200....hmmm....a DR.com inclement weather picnic venue....?

• Like 1

More than happy to tilt with you on this one. I have had many horrific meals at GAR establishments, and have seen the Sysco truck parked at all of them throughout the mornings. And in the case of Mike's and Sweetwater, the kitchens are somewhat on display. Never saw the trained monkey flinging sun-dried cranberries or salt at any of the dishes coming out of the kitchen, but they sure taste like he's back there. And as far as service is concerned, the robotic feel at the GAR places in no way compares to the genuine mom-n-pop friendliness at the family-owned places.

Never once saw a Sysco truck at the family-owned establishments I frequent throughout Springfield and Burke. There's honest food and a family feel at Aabshaar, Ravi Kabob III, House of Siam, Tommy Thai, Canton Cafe, Delia's, Village Chicken, El Sabor Bolviano and a dozen or so others. And you can actually carry on a conversation with your dining companions at these places too!

This is a really tired assertion. Where the heck are these great Springfield restaurants ? I'd love to find them. I've eaten at all the one's mentioned and can't put them above the GAR restaurants.

This is a really tired assertion. Where the heck are these great Springfield restaurants ? I'd love to find them. I've eaten at all the one's mentioned and can't put them above the GAR restaurants.

I simply can't let this one go.

Tell you what, I'll set a table with six plates, and we'll have an independent tasting. Here are the plates:

1. Lamb Kabob from Ravi Kabob III

2. Pad Thai from Tommy Thai

3. Black Pepper Beef from Canton Cafe

4. Bibimbap from Sahm Oh Jong

5. Half Chicken from Village Chicken with a side of Saltenas from El Sabor Boliviano (heck, it's the same place!)

6. ANYTHING from Mike's

All of these places are within about a half mile from each other. And I didn't even include Chutny, Aabshaar, House of Siam, Kate's or Saigon Village. We'll convene an independent tasting panel and review the results. If your assertion that none of these family-run Springfield restaurants compares to a GAR restaurant is confirmed, then I will endlessly applaud your refined palate and discerned taste.

I will even consider parting with a treasure I hold dear -- the cork from a bottle of 2000 Nigl Riesling that our leader brought to the DR.com picnic last week.

I've eaten at all the Springfield destinations mentioned as well as some of the other recommended "favorites" left off the list. From wildly inconsistent food, to fluorescent, health inspector worthy interiors, I can be comfortable with a burger and fries at Mikes or a lobster roll at Coastal.

I've eaten at all the Springfield destinations mentioned as well as some of the other recommended "favorites" left off the list. From wildly inconsistent food, to fluorescent, health inspector worthy interiors, I can be comfortable with a burger and fries at Mikes or a lobster roll at Coastal.

Agreed. Nothing aside from the "family-run" aspect makes any of the places above that great. Sure they provide decent food, but nothing that anyone is going to drive across town for.

So....rather than take my specific challenge, where I mention five dishes off the top of my head that Mike's (and thus, any GAR kitchen) cannot compete with, you just assert how right your opinion is.

Well, after Memorial Day weekend, I will defend to the death your right to be wrong.

So....rather than take my specific challenge, where I mention five dishes off the top of my head that Mike's (and thus, any GAR kitchen) cannot compete with, you just assert how right your opinion is.

Well, after Memorial Day weekend, I will defend to the death your right to be wrong.

Your specific challenge doesn't make sense though. Can you name any other restaurant in Springfield that is doing similar food as what you could get at Mike's better?

Your specific challenge doesn't make sense though. Can you name any other restaurant in Springfield that is doing similar food as what you could get at Mike's better?

No, thankfully, short-smoked salmon and sun-dried cranberries appear to be unique to Mike's (and all other GAR kitchens). Also can't find a cowboy rib-eye marinated in salt and sludge and more salt, except at Mike's. Also can't find that abominable pasta jambalaya dish anywhere except Mike's. You're absolutely right, there are no other restaurants in Springfield that serve similar food, and I am very grateful for that.

No, thankfully, short-smoked salmon and sun-dried cranberries appear to be unique to Mike's (and all other GAR kitchens). Also can't find a cowboy rib-eye marinated in salt and sludge and more salt, except at Mike's. Also can't find that abominable pasta jambalaya dish anywhere except Mike's. You're absolutely right, there are no other restaurants in Springfield that serve similar food, and I am very grateful for that.

That's a cop out and really just serves to weaken your argument. Every place you listed wasn't direct competition to Mike's, all were specific ethnic food. What restaurant would you put up against Mike's that does "American" food?

The Grilled Pork Chops on basil redskin mashed potatoes with roast corn salsa is not bad. Oh that's right you have a problem with mashed potatoes. Whatever. I did not say that Mike's or any other GAR establishment is the epitome of cuisine. Having read your postings on the myriad of Springfield establishments you praise them as being among the best places in NoVA, never mind just better that Mike's. I have eaten at many of them and overall leave satisfied but hardly every wanting to return frequently, except for Ravi Kabob.

OK, finally this thread is turning in the right direction. Except for Scarlett Johanssen, who scared the sh!t out of me in Iron Man 2.....and anytime you want to meet at Ravi Kabob III, mdt, and even stroll up and down that strip mall to Sahm Oh Jang and House of Siam, I'm in. In fact, hitting the other places will be necessary because Ravi Kabob III has a G-rated drinks list.

For those of us who work in Springfield, we could pick a day (and time) for lunch, and pick a place to eat. Kibbee Nayee, what say ye?

Personally unless I have to be in bankruptcy court, which is only on Wednesdays, or a trustee's meeting, which could be scheduled any place, any time, I can pick my lunch hour whenever I want (between, say, 11:30 and 2:30) so if the rest of you have time constrictions, now is the time to state them. Or if you'd rather do dinner, fine by me.

I have to say, I work on Backlick near Edsall, which is about midway between Annandale and Springfield proper, and so far I've had much better luck in Annandale than Springfield (possibly because Tyler Cowan lives and blogs from Annandale), but I remain optimistic.

(And, by the way, I like Mike's -- which is a Great American Restaurant. But so far for the neighborhood I like Gamasot better, also the Thai place in the little strip mall behind Springfield Mall, more than Tommy Thai.)

I would love to meet anyone for lunch in Springfield. My default is Blue Pearl, which I have been visiting since it was Dragon Sea Buffet , but I have eaten at Gamasot & Delia's, I would love to try any thai restaurants, my favorite is Thai Cafe at Springfield Mall, I'd like to try some of the other thai restaurants in this area...

I'm 100% in. Let's do it. Ilaine, where did you have in mind...?

Kibbee, why don't you set this up as a $20 Tuesday? You may not get a large turnout, but even 4, 5, 6 people may make for an interesting "walk around" night. Downside? Zero. Give it a shot in the Events and Gatherings forum and see what happens.

I'm sure there would be no prejudgement involved in your "specific" challenge. I'll have to pass.

Kibbee, why don't you set this up as a $20 Tuesday? You may not get a large turnout, but even 4, 5, 6 people may make for an interesting "walk around" night. Downside? Zero. Give it a shot in the Events and Gatherings forum and see what happens.

Initial post under "Events and Gatherings" is up. Standing by for the responses....

Not that anyone asked me, but what the heck. If I were to eat my way through a 3-4 mile radius from the middle of Springfield (wherever that is) for one week, I might be inclined to line it up as follows:

Sunday -- The dim sum brunch at Canton Cafe down Franconia Road can't be beat.

Monday -- Rivera's is the best Central American food around (but note that kids eat free on Monday night at Delia's).

Tuesday -- Delia's pizza night....buy one and get a second one for $2.95 (one topping).

Wednesday -- Pane e Vino for the best Italian this side of Rafagino's in Burke.

Thursday -- Osaka for my sushi fix.

Friday -- House of Siam for my Thai (and heat) fix.

Saturday -- Gamasot....might as well end the week with a nice bowl of soup at Springfield's best Korean restaurant.

Of course, should hunger pangs strike me during the daytime, I would head for the Mediterranean Gourmet Market on Franconia for a mezze fix, or a saltena at El Sabor Boliviano, or a hearty sandwich of Speck at Pane e Vino Deli in Lorton or the German Reuben at Swiss Bakery in Burke.

Anyone care to join me?

If you're looking for Korean food, you might also check Sahm Oh (I'm not exactly sure that this is the correct name, but it should be close) in the Brookfield shopping center. It's down a bit from Tippy's (and considerably better in my opinion). Just be prepared, they are aimed more towards the local Korean population than mee-guks, but the food is good and inexpensive.

If you're looking for Korean food, you might also check Sahm Oh (I'm not exactly sure that this is the correct name, but it should be close) in the Brookfield shopping center. It's down a bit from Tippy's (and considerably better in my opinion). Just be prepared, they are aimed more towards the local Korean population than mee-guks, but the food is good and inexpensive.

I love Sahm Oh Jong. It's actually tucked into my favorite little walking path of food in Springfield, literally next door or two doors down from all of Karahi Kabob, House of Siam, an interesting Halal pizza and sandwich shop, and a great little Asian market. All within steps of each other.

In my efforts to eat lunch across the 'burbs of NoVA, I had lunch today w/ a friend at Walker's Grille, which is in an odd location behind Inova Alexandria. There's plenty of parking, a built in clientele w/ the hospital & doctors offices, I think it was about 3/4 filled. The space is attractive enough, reminiscent of an office building, a little noisy, & has an outdoor patio that might be nice, when the weather is warmer.

We both got sandwiches, I was craving a club, (which is why I tried this place), so, turkey club w/ bacon & cheddar on wheat toast- large, a little dry, & the fries were a little limp. My friend had the reuben, said it was ok, not outstanding. Service was excellent, so while I won't be rushing back, I think it was just fine...

I've also eaten lunch at Kumo Asian Bistro, across the street, w/ the same friend (who is NOT an adventurous diner)- she had a Chinese dish, I had Thai basil chicken (not terrible, not outstanding), & a couple of rolls (Tokyo & eel avocado, if I remember correctly). It's an attractive place, service was just fine, but there are so many alternatives in the Springfield area (Thai Gang Waan, Bangkok Noodle, Le Bledo, Delia's, Gamasot) & so many that I haven't tried yet (Sampan Cafe, Mediterranean Gourmet Market), I just want to keep trying new places...

If I were to rank your list, Thistle, my opinon would be Mediterranean Gourmet Market, Thai Ghang Waan, Bangkok Noodle and then Gamasot. The rest - you ate at Le Bledo - are well behond those four.

I know, I have got to try out Mediterranean Gourmet Market, & I actually think having to convince a reluctant diner to try all the places I want to eat is a good thing-my friend really likes ThaiBox, & has gone, gamely, to all the places I've dragged her, including Lunchtime in Annandale, which I liked, but it's a stretch for someone who likes Chili's. I have another friend, my partner in crime&food, who will be moving back to the area this summer-I can't wait, she loves sushi & Korean food, & is up for almost anything....& my son thinks Le Bledo has the best pho ever, he's taken a few lax 'bros' over there, & they've stuffed themselves.....

This place needs some Dining Guide love....

Where do you think Thai Ghang Waan belongs, underneath Karahi Kabob House? As always, I'm open to hear pleas and arguments, and am happily willing to reassess - in fact, I love it when I have the chance to double-check my (often slapdash) work.

You, Bruce, are as important to me as the public is to the FBI when it comes to ranking Springfield!

• Like 1

You, Bruce, are as important to me as the public is to the FBI when it comes to ranking Springfield!

(Blushing...)

As you know, in the far-flung suburbs, it can vary daily. A chef may be in a bad mood one day, a supplier screws up a big order, one of the cooks gets nabbed by Immgration, yadda yadda....however, in rough but ever-changing order, my top five are Monty's, Gamasot, Osaka, Thai Ghang Waan and Karahi Kabob House. If you plant it right behind Karahi Kabob House, that would be fair.

General observations -- El Sabor Boliviano is too far down the list....I think it compares to the over rated La Caraquena; I call BS on Mike's....it should be in the Multiple Locations category anyway, with an identical menu to the other GAR menus; Kumo Asian Bistro is in the same plaza as Johnny's NY Pizza, which is listed in Franconia. Speaking of Franconia, Mi Rico Peru is a pretty good Central and South American restaurant next to Rice and Noodles on Franconia Rd.

(Feel free to move this to Dining in Springfield, or wherever...)

Time for the occasional weigh-in on the Springfield (and environs) Dining Guide listing....

I'll start by noting that the Franconia listing is pretty accurate, but Osteria Marzano, at the top of the Franconia listing, is just a few steps away from Walker's Grille, way down the Springfield listing. I would move Walker's Grille to low end of the Franconia listing.

And in Burke, San Vito restaurant closed for financial reasons and the space is now occupied by Giardino's, taking advantage of the brick oven that was already there. Giardino's is owned by the same people who own Villa Bella and Paradiso, so it's quality will not be very high.

Now, on to Springfield -- and I think the listing all the way down to Mike's is spot-on. Of the rest, Golden Hong Kong is a little low, and Sugar Palm Thai is across 395 on Edsall, making it more of an Alexandria listing. Also, Pho 495 and Pho Hong Anh shouldn't have so much separation. They are almost identical in quality.

Minor tweakage, more or less....but stay tuned. Brookfield Plaza is undergoing a major facelift, and I am seeing at least one new Japanese restaurant coming in. I anticipate a few new occupants coming in as well.

Springfield (January 2014)
Monty's Steakhouse - website - Imagine Ray's The Classics with good apps, sides, and desserts, one of the best restaurants ever in Springfield
Gamasot - Facebook - Good hot-pots and stir-fry, weak on BBQ, renovating the restaurant as of summer 2011
Karahi Kabob House - website - Formerly Ravi Kabob III, now under new ownership, a little dive with wonderful kabobs and karahi

Thai Ghang Waan (703) 866-6088

Flame Kabob - website
Oh Bok Jung - website

MoMo Nepalese Food - Facebook

Jacalito Rotisserie Chicken and Tex-Mex Grill - website
Osaka (703) 971-9444
Rivera's (703) 451-5344
Le Bledo Dalat Bakery - Facebook
Pho 495 - website
Bangkok Noodle - website

El Sabor Boliviano (703) 913-0617
Mike's - website
Village Chicken - website
Tommy Thai - website
Chutny (703) 569-7700
Coco Rico (703) 822-0124
Sugar Palm Thai - website
Kanjana Thai website
Bozzelli's - website
Pho Saigon Quan - website
Thai Cafe - website
Pho Hong Anh (703) 569-606

Walker's Grille - website
VN Cafe (703) 922-6228

Hunan Taste - website
Celadon Thai - website

Golden Hong Kong - Springfield Plaza
Asian Grill (703) 569-4800
Malek's Pizza Palace - website

Springfield Restaurant & Pizza - website
Dining in Springfield
Manila Cafe - 7020 Commerce St, - Closed
Cactus Taverna - 8064 Rolling Rd. - Closed
Sabor Latino - 6981A Hechinger Dr. - Closed
Yaksoku Sushi - 6901 Hechinger Dr. - Closed
House of Siam - 7056 Spring Garden Dr. - Closed

Sahm Oh Jong - 7048 Spring Garden Dr. - Closed
Royal Court Barbecue - 6138B Backlick Rd. - Closed
Desii Wok - 6981 Hechinger Dr. - Closed

Canton Cafe - 6396 Springfield Plaza - Closed

A-Nine Daniela Peruvian Restaurant - 6133B Backlick Rd. - Closed

"‹Kate's Irish Pub - 6131 Backlick Rd. - Closed

Bento Box Sushi - Springfield Plaza - Opening

• Like 1

I've been to Monty's twice. The first trip was horrendous, the 2nd time was better. I feel like Gamasot is slipping. My last trip there, I ordered a bibimbap bowl and I was underwhelmed.

I very much like Otseria Marzano and highly recommend it.

Monty's has a very good excuse: the owner (who took an active role) ran into some very serious health problems that lasted quite awhile, but have ameliorated.

My comments on Gamasot: "Good hot-pots and stir-fry, weak on BBQ, renovating the restaurant as of summer 2011"

• Like 1

Hi lonewolfclub.

Thank you for visiting Monty's a second time, especially after the poor service you experienced on your first visit. Occasionally things go wrong and we are truly grateful when guests do not assume that below average food and/or service is the norm at Monty's.

You mentioned in your post that your first experience was "horrendous" while your second was "better." Please be assured that every experience with Monty's you should expect "excellent". Or, as our slogan states, "Perfect."

We are the first to admit that our service suffered for the past several months due to unexpected events that often cause irrecoverable damage to many who may suffer similar tragedy's. We, however, have been blessed to have survived....and I mean this on several levels which I cannot go into on this forum.

Most importantly, a sincere thank you for returning. We would like to learn more of your experience for two reasons. One, so that we could understand what went wrong, and secondly to put in place fixes to prevent future mistakes.   I look forward to hearing from you via email:  guest@montyssteakhosue.com, and meeting you.

Unrelated to Monty's, I would agree with your comment of Osteria Marzano. I took my family out to dinner there recently and was very impressed with the wonderful job they have done on all aspects of the restaurant; design, furniture selection, décor, food quality & presentation, etc. We have not only "liked" them on FB, but have them featured as one of five "Favorites" on our FB Home page. West Springfield +5 mile radius is better for having them in our neighborhood.

• Like 3

The Springfield food scene continues to evolve. Across from Brookfield Plaza, in the little strip mall that features Delia's and El Sabor Boliviano, there is a sign reading "Sushi Taiko Opening Soon" over the door of a former gold exchange store. A quick web search revealed that it doesn't appear to be part of a chain.

As for Delia's, a (fortunate for foodies) family squabble sent Eleni and her mom and uncle to open Eleni's restaurant in the former Kate's space across from Mike's, next to what was once Fischer's Hardware (now being repurposed as an Aldo's food store)....Delia's is on the decline, and Eleni's is on the upswing.

---

Aabshaar (ScotteeM)
Victor's Pizza Den (mtureck)

• Like 1

I just wanted to thank everyone who posts about Springfield restaurants, which I guess has been happening mostly in individual restaurant threads as opposed to here. I live in Silver Spring and don't make it out to the opposite side of the Beltway very often, but I had an appointment in Springfield yesterday that I used as an excuse to have lunch at Afghan Bistro, which I never, ever, ever would have known about if not for this website. Delicious! Then, after my appointment, I learned of an accident on the Beltway and spied The Swiss Bakery from my car, so rather than sit in traffic I popped in for a cherry strudel and an iced Swiss mocha (and still ended up sitting in traffic -- unfortunately Swiss pastries can't solve everything). Also delicious! I'm so happy I got to try these two places, but I just remembered the Yemeni place (Marib) as well. I may need to find another excuse to drive halfway around the Beltway sometime soon.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dracisk said:

I just wanted to thank everyone who posts about Springfield restaurants, which I guess has been happening mostly in individual restaurant threads as opposed to here. I live in Silver Spring and don't make it out to the opposite side of the Beltway very often, but I had an appointment in Springfield yesterday that I used as an excuse to have lunch at Afghan Bistro, which I never, ever, ever would have known about if not for this website. Delicious! Then, after my appointment, I learned of an accident on the Beltway and spied The Swiss Bakery from my car, so rather than sit in traffic I popped in for a cherry strudel and an iced Swiss mocha (and still ended up sitting in traffic -- unfortunately Swiss pastries can't solve everything). Also delicious! I'm so happy I got to try these two places, but I just remembered the Yemeni place (Marib) as well. I may need to find another excuse to drive halfway around the Beltway sometime soon.

Glad you found Springfield to your liking. While it will never rival Penn Quarter or any other downtown dining area, it holds its own against a lot of local suburbs.

I'm kind of happy to see that this thread has expanded the sprawl of Springfield to Burke (Swiss Bakery), Kingstowne (Osteria Marzano) and almost-Annandale (Marib). It adds some competition to the best of Springfield proper, like Afghan Bistro and Monty's.

(Speaking of Burke, in the Ravensworth Shopping Center where Swiss Bakery is located, the new Lotte Korean Supermarket replaced a Safeway. Inside is a Korean food court of significant goodness.)

Among my current list of hidden favorites is Thai Ghan Waan for really good Thai, El Sabor Boliviano for genuinely good and hard-to-find salteñas, Village Chicken for properly prepared rotisserie chicken with some Lebanese sides, Bozzelli's flagship for a classic Italian sub, Le Bledo for outstanding bánh mì and phở, and Asian Grill for steady Chinese fare that has been Americanized but that still has some authentic peeking through.

• Like 1

I don't know my Springfield geography at all, but I was surprised to find out that Afghan Bistro and The Swiss Bakery (in the Ravenswood Shopping Center), while both in Springfield, were 15 minutes apart from each other and involved driving on highways.

• Like 1