House of Gyro, Olney - Closed.

Having decided last Friday that it was too nice to spend all day in the office I sent a few e-mails and took off early to hit the links. Having played 18 holes better than I had any right to, given that it was the first time I had touched the sticks in 2006. I found myself leaving Hampshire Greens at about 3 in need of some lunch.

I felt a gyro calling my name and it led me right to House of Gyro.

Quite simply, it's the best gyro I've had in DC.

Beautifully spiced meat, not overloaded with *stuff*, tucked inside a Lebanese Taverna style oval pita, with real house-made tzatziki on the side.

Having decided last Friday that it was too nice to spend all day in the office I sent a few e-mails and took off early to hit the links. Having played 18 holes better than I had any right to, given that it was the first time I had touched the sticks in 2006. I found myself leaving Hampshire Greens at about 3 in need of some lunch.

I felt a gyro calling my name and it led me right to House of Gyro.

Quite simply, it's the best gyro I've had in DC.

Beautifully spiced meat, not overloaded with *stuff*, tucked inside a Lebanese Taverna style oval pita, with real house-made tzatziki on the side.

Since they are just down the street, we get carryout there often. They also make very good kabobs and a pretty good babaganouch (I know I didn't spell that right :) )

Went yesterday and had an excellent gyro and an excellent falafel. The bread was maybe a little more well done than I like (not sure if it was toasted or just well done - seemed toasted as nowhere was it black), but the gyro was moist and had great flavor and the sandwich wasn't overstuffed.

The falafel was also moist and had just enough tahini to not overwhelm. The tzaziki was served on the side and was good, though some may find it a little on the bland side. Definitely worth a stop if you're near 28 & Georgia Ave.

Thanks,

Kevin

For years my standard was Zorba's, or Marathon in College Park. Can anyone tell me how House of Gyro compares to those two?
House of Gyro has table service with a waiter (the owner) if you eat in where at Marathon, you just picked a table. HoG is more like a full servcie restaurant though they certainly have carry-out. I think the bread is better at HoG than Marathon, though it's been a few years since I've been to Marathon, though I always loved it. In addition to gyro and felafel (and the usual sandwiches), HoG has kabobs, daily specials and they advertise Turkish coffee.

Sadly, I've not been to Zorba's. One day. :unsure:

Thanks,

Kevin

They changed names, changed formats (added rotisserie chicken) raised prices, and then went out of business.

Closed and empty space there now. Not the best location due to the lack of parking for all those restaurants, but the Tex/Mex place next door is doing very well.

They changed names, changed formats (added rotisserie chicken) raised prices, and then went out of business.

Closed and empty space there now. Not the best location due to the lack of parking for all those restaurants, but the Tex/Mex place next door is doing very well.

You said the Tex/Mex place next door is doing well. Have you tried it? Or do you know of any good lunch places in the vicinity?

You said the Tex/Mex place next door is doing well. Have you tried it? Or do you know of any good lunch places in the vicinity?

It used to be called Tabasco and from everything I heard was quite good, but when they changed the name (due to pressure from a certain hot sauce company) they also changed their suppliers and every report I have heard since has been negative.