B. Smith's, Owner Barbara "B" Smith in Union Station - Chef James Page Replaces Rock Harper - Closed

I've only been a couple of times for brunch (I have a friend who likes to go there). It is expensive, but as far as brunch buffets go, this one is okay. Stick with the breads, fried chicken, mac n cheese, and catfish fritters, and don't waste the calories on the shrimp pasta.

We stopped in at B. Smith's, early on a Sunday evening (no later than 6 pm) a few weeks ago. The place was almost empty, with the exception of a few large parties, and they seated us right away. After almost 10 minutes, our server had not come to greet us, and when she finally did, we noticed that she was only 1 of 2 servers in the restaurant. She took our order, we received our appetizers in a timely manner (maybe within 10 mins.), but then we waited about 30 minutes for our entrees, most of the time not seeing our waitress during that time. We were disheartened to see that other tables had not received food either. When we finally received our food, we were glad to see that it was hot and tasty, but because we had been there for too long and had other things to do, when our waitress came back to check on us, we asked for the check.

So the food was pretty good, but the service was terrible (although our waitress was nice when we saw her). I blame management for insufficiently scheduling enough staff in both the kitchen and dining room.

We stopped in at B. Smith's, early on a Sunday evening (no later than 6 pm). The place was almost empty, with the exception of a few large parties, and they seated us right away. After almost 10 minutes, our server had not come to greet us, and when she finally did, we noticed that she was only 1 of 2 servers in the restaurant. She took our order, we received our appetizers in a timely manner (maybe within 10 mins.), but then we waited about 30 minutes for our entrees, most of the time not seeing our waitress during that time. We were disheartened to see that other tables had not received food either.  When we finally received our food, we were glad to see that it was hot and tasty, but because we had been there for too long and had other things to do, when our waitress came back to check on us, we asked for the check.

So the food was pretty good, but the service was terrible (although our waitress was nice when we saw her). I blame management for insufficiently scheduling enough staff in both the kitchen and dining room.

The service issue is a big concern.

The service issue is a big concern.

Yes. Not to beat a dead horse, but now that I think of it, even with the brunch buffet (it's serve yourself for pete's sake!), the service was brutal. I wanted to stand up and shout, "I want to order more alcoholic drinks! I want to pad the check! Why won't you let me pay you more? Why???"

I went for a work lunch a few months ago. It is a very elegant and impressive dining room. The fact that I cannot remember what I ate is probably not a good sign where food quality is concerned.

This is identical to my experience there.

It's been a while since I've been there, but my experience has been unobjectionable, if not noteworthy. (They actually have a takeout menu -- and delivery within Union Station -- for those who work nearby.) The room is beautiful, for sure. It's also one of the more integrated dining rooms in the city.

I didn't know that B. Smith's was a destination, let alone a mood. :) I worked within a block of Union Station for 3 1/2 years and never gave this place a moment's notice. Catch a cab and go to Corduroy. Or, for steak, walk down Louisiana to Charlie Palmer's.

Has anyone been to this place? How good is the food. I have some family coming to town and they really want to eat here.

I work next door to B. Smith's and I would say, dining room opulence notwithstanding, don't bother. B. Smith's is good, but nothing to write home about. Georgia Brown's is MUCH better if they are in need of soul/southern food and the dining room is just as buautiful, albeit smaller.

If you ARE dragged to B. Smith's, then get either the Swamp Thing or the catfish. Those are the best options. If you HAVE to be in the Union Station area, I would second the suggestion for Charlie Palmer. AMAZING food!! (just stay away from the lobster corndogs at the bar).

Happy eating!!

B. Smith's executive chef Rock won Gordon Ramsey's Hell's Kitchen last night. This is (honestly) the only reality show I've ever had much interest in. I figured for a while that Rock was gonna win, but the revelation a week ago that Rock worked at B. Smith's left me surprised. I have never been impressed with B. Smith's, despite multiple visits, since its the closest "good" restaurant to my office.

A couple wks ago GR tested the chefs by letting them run the window and having a dish put up without all its ingredients. Rock passed the test; however, one of my most/least memorable dishes at BS's was a pasta with chicken that arrived without the chicken. Ironic.

Hopefully Rock returns to the DC area after his stint in Vegas. Would be cool to see him bring what he's learned back to the area to open a top notch, GR-endorsed space on our doorstep.

A couple wks ago GR tested the chefs by letting them run the window and having a dish put up without all its ingredients. Rock passed the test;

However, Rock had watched the previous chef (Jen?) and saw her get reamed about missing the ingreadient. My take: Rock (and the subsequent chefs) knew to be on the look-out for something. All of them passed the "test"

• Like 1

I found myself tucked away into the glassed-in porch at B. Smith's last night. We occupied a six-top just past the colonnade entrance, with a direct view of the softly playing jazz band.

This is, seriously, one of the most stunning tables in the city. Seemingly infinite windows boast mood-boosting natural light, accompanied by mesmerizing acoustics and dramatically arched, web-worked ceilings*. Alas, "you can't eat the atmosphere" or else I'd be racing back on a regular basis.

I have always been a sucker for authentically friendly host service, and B. Smith's gets an "A". Well-intentioned hospitality, this is the home of genuinely warm, welcoming greetings and benevolent table service to follow, accompanied by just the right touch of enthusiasm.

Friendly does not mean flawless, however. The first round of drinks came out annoyingly staggered in time. Plate delivery was not an auction, but was not accurate either, we had to guide the first entree to it's diner. At $30 per entree, such hiccups quickly become guffaws.

The flavor standout of the night was black eyed pea hummus, at $15, a large enough portion for four or five to share. Thinly sliced jicama, zucchini, caper tapenade, and other components made this a refreshing and fun starter for the tahini-infused cowpeas. Ordering this, a salad, and a mint-muddled beverage on a hot summer night in a group of close friends would be pleasant for anyone. I probably should have aimed for that strategy.

Instead, my dish of fried chicken livers with pineapple compote was made with top notch ingredients, but under seasoned and spent just a bit too long in the fryer. Fellow diners ordered pan-seared grouper with red wine reduction, baby back ribs, squash-stuffed ravioli, and a chicken dish of some fashion. Everyone seemed pleased but in no way wowed.

When the check arrived, I failed to notice the gratuity automatically added, so I tipped far more than I needed to. Which I do not mind, good tipping = good parking karma and the server was a gem of a friendly gal. I later learned the restaurant's policy is to automatically add 19% service charge for any party of five or more, a lower head count than I would have expected, and also not announced when the check was dropped off.

As we left, the server provided us a quick tour of the banquet rooms, including the storied history of Presidential pathways.

I really, really like the welcoming hospitality and jaw-dropping atmosphere of this place. I really, really won't be returning soon.

(i desperately wanted the imprint)

(of architect)

(to even more fully appreciate that ceiling)

I am very curious. How does a chronically empty restaurant owned by a medium-profile celebrity in one of the most gorgeous spaces in one of the highest-traffic hubs a) manage to stay open year after year, during a epidemic of high-quality restaurants closures, and B ) manage to escape a review from any of the usual sources? Sure, it's not very relevant and that would be good enough for me for most other venues, but I just don't understand how it hasn't closed, or been reviewed, or overhauled its concept in this enviable space! Please PM me if need be, but It is kinda blowing my mind. Surely one cannot pay all the bills on Sunday brunch alone.

I am very curious. How does a chronically empty restaurant owned by a medium-profile celebrity in one of the most gorgeous spaces in one of the highest-traffic hubs a) manage to stay open year after year, during a epidemic of high-quality restaurants closures, and B ) manage to escape a review from any of the usual sources? Sure, it's not very relevant and that would be good enough for me for most other venues, but I just don't understand how it hasn't closed, or been reviewed, or overhauled its concept in this enviable space! Please PM me if need be, but It is kinda blowing my mind. Surely one cannot pay all the bills on Sunday brunch alone.

During my friend's dinner at B. Smith's last year, I was calculating rents/revenues in my head, and asked the same question of the staff. They said the venue does a LOT of private events. Especially during not-so-booming times, I am not sure if special events alone could answer the red ink/black ink mail, but it is a data point.

Having both lived and/or worked in the area for over a dozen years, I've never been there except for Christmas receptions, which I've always enjoyed. The private events explanation makes a lot of sense because the size of the space and the location make it a great spot if you want to throw a private event that attracts both Hill staffers and those needing Metro accessibility. But I've never heard anyone recommend it as a lunch or dinner location, even during Restaurant Week. While it is a beautiful space, I think they are hurt by a combination of the proximity to other (read: cheaper and faster) destinations in Union Station or nearby that cater to Hill people in a hurry as well as more well-known restaurants at the same price level or higher such as Charlie Palmer, Bistro Bis, Johnny's, and the Monocle. As well, the location within Union Station may have an impact for those who aren't specifically seeking it out, because most people walking towards Union Station are entering through the main doors or the entrance closest to the Metro. B. Smith's is on less-traveled side.

As well, I can only imagine that shortly after the renovations that took place in Union Station, they sought out long term lease deals in order to fill the existing retail/restaurant spaces that were created within the renovation.

I used to lease restaurant spaces...going back a long time. Its astonishing as to the amazing disparity in rents with regard to restaurant deals. While I haven't done that in ages I would be surprised if there is any consistency to rents. A place like B Smith's could have an extraordinarily inexpensive rent due to a myriad of factors...almost too many to mention.

I'm sure the restaurateurs could speak to this, though they may not wish to. Its a very private situation. I do recall brokering a lease on behalf of an office tenant during and after the building leased space to DC Coast. When they made the deal with DC Coast they gave away so much in rent and concessions they came back to my office tenant and completely changed terms. Ooof.

Certainly its possible that catered parties, a low rent, and some name recognition could keep B. Smith's at Union Station all these years...though I have no inside information on that situation.

If one of those restaurants really worked hard at both food and service there is a huge market and potential at Union Station, above and beyond the enormous volume of travelers that walk through its halls, at least IMHO