Italian Bakeries

cheapie

Hi everyone. I'm a DonRocks post virgin! I hope this one spurs some good discussion. So, where can I pick up some creamy rich yet light and crispy chocolate cannolis in NOVA or DC? Are there any good Italian bakeries worth visiting or am I going to have to go back to Ferrara's in NYC to pick up a box of cannolis to keep frozen until the next time I'm in NYC?

Frozen cannoli? Perish the thought!

Peperonata Pasta (Kentlands, Gaithersburg) serves up a good cannoli. No, he doesn't make either the cannoli nor the filling in-house. What he DOES do is pipe in the filling at the last minute, so the moisture doesn't have a chance to permeate the shell, and the temperatures are right. I think this is far preferable to ruining a top-grade housemade cannoli by premaking the batch and holding them for hours.

And welcome to DR, cheapie!

Have you ever tried making your own ? Really not that complicated if you have the shells. Since leaving NY I have not had a decent one anywhere in the DC area.

Agree with the last comment re Frozen ones. Whould rather do without.

Hi everyone. I'm a DonRocks post virgin! I hope this one spurs some good discussion. So, where can I pick up some creamy rich yet light and crispy chocolate cannolis in NOVA or DC? Are there any good Italian bakeries worth visiting or am I going to have to go back to Ferrara's in NYC to pick up a box of cannolis to keep frozen until the next time I'm in NYC?

Welcome to the board cheapie!

While this isn't a regular source of cannoli...have you tried the ones offered by Roberto Donna at the Grill at Galileo? They're darn good - and the Grill is open this week on Wed. and Thurs.

Have you ever tried making your own ? Really not that complicated if you have the shells.

Hmmm, interesting idea. But then that raises the question of what is a good source for cannoli shells and ricotta? Maybe the Italian Store in Arlington? I've never been, but it sounds like they might be a good source. Or maybe I can finally use my ricotta cheese making kit for such a recipe. I'll report back if I ever get around to making them.

Hmmm, interesting idea. But then that raises the question of what is a good source for cannoli shells and ricotta? Maybe the Italian Store in Arlington? I've never been, but it sounds like they might be a good source. Or maybe I can finally use my ricotta cheese making kit for such a recipe. I'll report back if I ever get around to making them.

Good ricotta can be bought at the DuPont Farmer's Market.

Cornucopia, 8102 Norfolk Ave. in Bethesda has great cannoli that get filled when you order them. Also, lots of really good cookies and biscotti. A good place to get prosciutto, Italian cheeses, olives and misc. imported packaged goods as well. Not as big as The Italian Store in Arlington, but the products are carefully selected and of very high quality, across the board. The owner was a long-time Dean & Deluca employee.