Kyoto Sushi, Bradlee Center in Alexandria

I have not see a light on in the place in more than a month. I went once, and nothing compelled me to make a second trip. They put the same seasoning on everything.

Next to Atlantis a new Sushi restaurant opened. I will have to give it a try soon (I think it is called Bonsai or Kobe can't remember which).

Next to Atlantis a new Sushi restaurant opened.  I will have to give it a try soon (I think it is called Bonsai or Kobe can't remember which).

We were going to go there last night but ended up at Yamazato...maybe we'll give it a try tonight.

We were going to go there last night but ended up at Yamazato...maybe we'll give it a try tonight.

Okay, quoting myself. We went to Kyoto (not Kobe but close). When we arrived they had been open for approximately 1 hour. You could tell it had just opened, somewhat shaky service, waitstaff going off in all directions at once, no real pacing. Grover and I had the Sashimi/Sushi combination - salad, miso followed by 9 pieces of Sashimi, 9 pieces of Sushi, 6 pieces of California roll. The sushi and sashimi was generously cut with small, well rolled rice. The rice was nicely vinegared and tasty. The fish overall was middle-of -the road, neither overwhelmingly great nor bad. We also ordered 2 spicy tuna temaki which was rolled in very fresh, crisp nori. Unfortunately the spiciness overpowered the tuna. I'd wait a few days before returning to see if they get organized and more in control. Not a bad experience, not a great experience. YMMV. Because it's so close, it will be a "go-to" place when we want a quick sushi fix on those late nights.

Okay, quoting myself. We went to Kyoto (not Kobe but close). When we arrived they had been open for approximately 1 hour. You could tell it had just opened, somewhat shaky service, waitstaff going off in all directions at once, no real pacing. Grover and I had the Sashimi/Sushi combination - salad, miso followed by 9 pieces of Sashimi, 9 pieces of Sushi, 6 pieces of California roll. The sushi and sashimi was generously cut with small, well rolled rice. The rice was nicely vinegared and tasty. The fish overall was middle-of -the road, neither overwhelmingly great nor bad. We also ordered 2 spicy tuna temaki which was rolled in very fresh, crisp nori. Unfortunately the spiciness overpowered the tuna. I'd wait a few days before returning to see if they get organized and more in control. Not a bad experience, not a great experience. YMMV. Because it's so close, it will be a "go-to" place when we want a quick sushi fix on those late nights.

(Waiting for a thread split....)

Is this the same ownership as the Kyoto that's on Richmond Highway? What were the prices like?

(Waiting for a thread split....)

Is this the same ownership as the Kyoto that's on Richmond Highway?  What were the prices like?

I don't think they're related but can't state that categorically. I've never been in the one on Richmond Hwy. As a matter of fact, I don't know anyone who's been in the Richmond Hwy one.

The prices, I found a bit high. The combination sushi/sashimi plate that Grover and I had was $29.95 (9 pieces of sushi/sashimi, 6 pieces of California roll, 15 total). There was a small salad with ginger dressing for me and sesame for Grover. Miso and tea also included. We had two spicy tuna temaki (which I seem to remember were around $4.95 each). Complete bill with tax was $41 and change including tax but not tip.

Wife, bambino, and I went last night. Not really the expert on Sushi but pretty good. Prices seemed to be middle ofthe road. overall I found the service to be good. Close to home so I get the feeling this will be the pick-up place for sushi, sorry Golden Dragon, no more warm sushi for me.

[Are you guys sure this is called Kyoto, and is on King Street? I only know of Kyoto on Richmond Highway near Belle Haven Park. Just post the response here so I don't get 80 PMs, and I'll clean up the title accordingly. Thanks! Rocks]
On King Street in the Brad-Lee Shopping Center next to the ABC store and beside the Subway which is next to Atlantis which is next to.....etc, etc...

I've been once now, about a month ago shortly after they opened. It wasn't our favorite in the area (which probably goes to Tokyo Japanese Steakhouse in Old Town or Sushi-Zen in Arlington), but since it's just around the block from me and sushi is popular with my GF and I, I'm sure we'll be back soon.

I've been once now, about a month ago shortly after they opened. It wasn't our favorite in the area (which probably goes to Tokyo Japanese Steakhouse in Old Town or Sushi-Zen in Arlington), but since it's just around the block from me and sushi is popular with my GF and I, I'm sure we'll be back soon.
Somewhat reflects our impression. We went the day they opened (HUGE mistake). We've been back since and the service has straightened out, dishes are brought to the table quickly and things have settled down considerably. The sushi also seems to be getting better. It's not Yamazato or Sushi-Ko but I don't think that's what they're trying to be.

Tried the place out again last night and had an enjoyable evening. Albeit it can never be too long of an experience since they bring the food to the table with lightning quick response. Wife had the sashimi platter, and I went with the Tuna Don. Both items were fresh and with simple presentation. My kind of place, low on the flair, high on the quality. The ladies who were waiting on us even took our 4 month old on a tour of the restaurant. Good place, consistent, and close to home.

I wonder how restaurants like Kyoto survive, Kyoto being a mediocre Japanese restaurant stuck in the middle of an ugly suburban strip mall.

Asparagus Beef Roll ($7) was Steak-umm quality beef, wrapped in a roll with asparagus tips and shaving-brushed with an overly sweet sauce.

I knew the shrimp and scallops in the Okonomiyaki ($9) would be tiny, frozen things, but the disappointment came in the pancake itself which was soggy; this could have been a decent rendition had it seen hotter oil.

Hamachi Kama ($12) is a grilled yellowtail collarbone, fortunately ordered Shioyaki style (as opposed to Teriyaki-style), which averted another shaving-brush full of sweet sauce. Without question, this was the dish of the meal, but $12 for something restaurants used to throw away is a lot of money.

The sushi rice here was simply not good - being both flavorless and paste-like, and the Sushi Deluxe ($18), with nine pieces of passable nigiri and a California roll, was really just expensive filler.

And the grand chutzpah award goes to Kyoto, for reciting a THIRTEEN DOLLAR special of toro. Ordered as more of a curiosity than out of any real expectations, the fish itself was fatty, but not marbled at all; it merely had several hard-linear striations of fat segmenting the fish, and was surrounded by a picture frame of tough, tendon-like fat. This presentation isn't a problem in and of itself, but the toro was only of average quality, and the price was scandalous for two pieces - $6.50 a bite! Again, no matter how good the fish was, it would have been negated by the sushi rice.

I wonder how restaurants like Kyoto survive, and then I look at my check which is $91.50 after beers, tax, and tip, and I have the answer.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I wonder how restaurants like Kyoto survive, Kyoto being a mediocre Japanese restaurant stuck in the middle of an ugly suburban strip mall.

You forgot to mention the really crappy parking lot and ingress and egress points. I live on the other side of 7 from there and rarely if ever venture into that morass. One trip there sushi was one too many times for me.

You forgot to mention the really crappy parking lot and ingress and egress points. I live on the other side of 7 from there and rarely if ever venture into that morass. One trip there sushi was one too many times for me.

Don't bother trying Mixer's ice cream (although you may want to walk by and take a look at the "cotton candy" flavor just to get an idea for your next electro-neon cosmic-booty shock.)

The place that's called "Pastry and Cafe" does a huge lunch business.

You should have stuck to the Korean specialties (albeit also expensive) that are on the menu. The dolsot bibim bap is passable. I don't remember what else we had when we last went (quite some time ago) but the place is really Korean owned and run.

You should have stuck to the Korean specialties (albeit also expensive) that are on the menu. The dolsot bibim bap is passable. I don't remember what else we had when we last went (quite some time ago) but the place is really Korean owned and run.

Yes, I noticed that during the meal, but had no idea beforehand (there's also an ABC renewal notice on the glass and the names indeed appear to be Korean).