Le Pigalle, Run by Former Bistrot du Coin Employees at 17th & P Streets in the Former Peppers Space in East Dupont - Bageled.

I saw the new awning last week while on the patio at Fox and Hounds, but honestly didn't give it a second thought. The Peppers space has occupied a kind of dead space in my peripheral vision on my daily walk to work. I guess the name change didn't register and the physical changes seemed more cosmetic than anything.

Now having read this I'm intrigued. (Short version: BdC folks have taken over Peppers and are offering bistro fare).

Has anybody been? Along with the addition of Hank's this stretch of 17th is looking more and more appetizing every day.

some friends of mine who attended the grand opening last night said that it was packed and that the food was good (there was a buffet of sorts). however, it is also worth mentioning that they were drunk (there was an open bar).

if nothing else, it will be better than peppers!

Le Pigalle-- "under construction" apparently...

Just got this email from the Washington City Paper:

Viva Le Nosh Mob!

Bonjour mesdames et messieurs! Join fellow Washington City Paper
Restaurant Raters tomorrow, Wednesday, June 21, at 7:00 p.m. at Le Pigalle
for a French wine and food-pairing Nosh Mob. It's haute cuisine and hot
hors d'oeuvres at the bright, open new space on 17th Street NW that's
already turning heads.

The owners, George Gozem and chef David Barigault--former chef of Bistrot
du Coin--will present a multicourse meal and discuss various wines that
compliment the restaurant's classic French cuisine.

In addition, there will be discount drinks and discount coupons for future
meals at Le Pigalle.

BUT THERE'S MORE!
Your ticket to the Nosh Mob is a printout of this e-mail. (Feel free to
bring one guest!) We'll be collecting them to draw a winner for a FREE
$200 MEAL at Le Pigalle!

What a great way to spend the first day of summer!

Le Pigalle is located at 1527 17th St. NW, and online at
http://www.lepigalle.com/

Bon Appetit!

DN
http://restaurants.washingtoncitypaper.com/

Coincidentally, I stopped off there for a drink before dining at Komi last week. Their slogan is "French with a twist". Should we be scared of a restaurant with a slogan?

Modern space (all white and hard edges). Kronenbourg 1664 at $6.50 a pop.

Didn't eat anything, but did take a look at the menu. It's rather americanized French Bistro fare, for example "boeuf bourguignonne over noodles" :unsure:

The Pigalle District in Paris is NOT known for its' food! What a strange choice for a name! Flesh yes, meat?, well it depends on your definition of meat.

Well, since 17th Street is also known more for its flesh than its food, maybe it's a perfect name!

Went to that City Paper thing with a friend last night. The food we had (charcuterie, salad, beef bourguignon) was just ok. The space is oddly white and minimalist for a place that's serving classic French bistro fare. Patrick Chassagneux has already left Praline and is the GM here now. I asked him what happened. He just shrugged and said it didn't work out.

Wow. I think that's the single most critical review I read from Tom, who tends to kill his subjects with faint praise, (see Viridian's "watermelon thing gets old fast", I love it.) I am glad to see the boy is as talented when it comes to reaming crap slophouse fare with pen and paper as he is with multi-adjectived praise. Let's face it, writing sarcastic and critical shit and staying entertaining is a lot harder than being positive. Take it from me.

biggrin.gif So far Le Pigalle is my favorite spot to be, always meet my friends and enjoy the great drinks from Martin and from the other bartenders , and we all love Chef David's food he is extremely succesfull and very easy goin guy, one time I was sick he made me a specail dish of his own, and that made a major personal touch to me .

And seeing all those negative critisms hurts me personally and all I say is people please be more positive, I do eat outside of my home a lot, and Yes I go to great restaurants yes I go to bad restaurants but still give all of them a chance , If I personallly do not like the dish at one restaurant I tell my comments to waiter or to Chef right there at least just to let them know to correct it.

Like one of you said being positive is great in life and how many of us can do it??? thats the main question.
Critising any restaurant or any business is easy like saying bad words to your friend but is it easy to gain that love back?
so think guys before u say something or read over your reviews.

And think who is difficult is it us??? or the ones serving and trying to make us happy ?
And I am still not agree with Tom's review ; he was harsh and nonsense.

biggrin.gif So far Le Pigalle is my favorite spot to be, always meet my friends and enjoy the great drinks from Martin and from the other bartenders , and we all love Chef David's food he is extremely succesfull and very easy goin guy, one time I was sick he made me a specail dish of his own, and that made a major personal touch to me .

And I am still not agree with Tom's review ; he was harsh and nonsense.

Welcome, it's always nice to see a new person. With that said, from your remarks, it sounds as if you have some personal relationship with Le Pigalle. This isn't possible now, is it?

Hi everyone,
I am George, one of the owners of Le Pigalle... One of my guests told me about this site. After I registered, I figured there is a lot to be said. Yes, it is about the review back in July. I was not expecting a 4-star, I knew we had a lot to improve, but I was not expecting a horrible review like that, either. All I know is, this is our first restaurant-given its location (moratorium zone), things were more difficult than we ever imagined.

We have been improving since we opened on May 10th. The wine list has been changed 4 times, the last time was probably right before the critic came, but after Sietsema visited here. It will be changed one more time within a week. Yes, we did have problems with the bread here and there, but am proud to say finally we started to work with Firehook and really happy with their bread. We are no longer buying French fries in bulk, instead preparing them here, just like we did in Bistrot du Coin. We are finally introducing our new lunch menu next week with a really good deal for the first week. And we added red candles on tables and painted one wall in red to soften the all white concept. So, I listened to Tom on these ones.

But, I really think the review was too harsh. "I contemplated my editor asking for hardship pay". "At least the water is cold" "25-cent wings in a cave look pretty good now"... All I am saying is we did not deserve that. We are really not that horrible after all. And in this week's chat, he says he does not see any improvement and he is not surprised the place is empty. How long before a critic gives a second chance?

And I am waiting for your comments and if you would like to stop by and introduce yourselves, I will be happy to hear your suggestions. Trust me, I am a friendly guy and eventually this place will do really good. I am not giving up that easy.

P.S. sorry about the lates (latest) on the topic, I could not get back and change it

Thanks Heather. I already talked with Martin about it. We are going to get a fan for the liquor room.

Hi George!
Welcome to DonRockwell.com. Thanks for posting about your changes and improvements. I wish you and David all the best luck, and hope to see you both soon.

Mark

Thanks Mark.

I for one am rooting for you guys! I'm a big fan of Bistrot du Coin, the food, the wine, and the atmo, and I look forward to trying your new spot. I also know how tough it can be to get a place going, esp. in Dupont Cicle, where you have to jump thru a lot of hoops.

Personally, I thought Sietsema's review was pretty harsh-but there's nothing to be done about that now except to prove him wrong (for about the millionth time.) Best of luck!

I for one am rooting for you guys! I'm a big fan of Bistrot du Coin, the food, the wine, and the atmo, and I look forward to trying your new spot. I also know how tough it can be to get a place going, esp. in Dupont Cicle, where you have to jump thru a lot of hoops.
Personally, I thought Sietsema's review was pretty harsh-but there's nothing to be done about that now except to prove him wrong (for about the millionth time.) Best of luck!

Millionth? Name 10.