Jimmy T's, Capitol Hill

Jimmy T's on East Capitol St. is the ultimate brunch joint. There are few places around where you can get every breakfast food one should have at their disposal, the best corned beef hash around (who knew a little dill could take hash to a whole new level?) and the most expensive thing on the menu is under $10. Spend enough weekend mornings there and they expect you to pour your own coffee. The same woman has been manning the grill for forever and she continues to put out food that comforts the soul and fills you up at the same time. Added bonus: breakfast is served all day for those of use who can't eat before noon on the weekend.

Jimmy T's on East Capitol St. is the ultimate brunch joint. There are few places around where you can get every breakfast food one should have at their disposal, the best corned beef hash around (who knew a little dill could take hash to a whole new level?) and the most expensive thing on the menu is under $10. Spend enough weekend mornings there and they expect you to pour your own coffee. The same woman has been manning the grill for forever and she continues to put out food that comforts the soul and fills you up at the same time. Added bonus: breakfast is served all day for those of use who can't eat before noon on the weekend.
Not to be contrary, but I have found the food there to be inconsistent over time and am reluctant to keep trying. I haven't lived on the hill as long as you have (only 18 years), but I thought Sherrill's did the same kind of thing much better. I'm also mixed on Market Lunch, but I like it better than Jimmy T's. I generally avoid Jimmy T's on weekends because of the crowds, but weekday breakfasts and lunches are sometimes good and sometimes not. I remember the first time I ordered a sausage omelette there, and it was wonderful. The next several times I ordered it it was not wonderful, and I finally gave up. I don't understand the lines outside Jimmy T's, unless there are different people working there on the weekends. The folks who work there do seem really nice, though.

I really wanted to like Jimmy T's, because I want to like all neighborhoody greasy spoons. But I wasn't very impressed in my one visit. My potatoes had an off-taste I couldn't put my finger on; portions were small; service was theoretical.

I'd rather hit Tunnicliff's.

I love Jimmy Ts. It's far from fancy, but it's a great little greasy spoon. It's awfully unprentious, and quite tasty. If you are lucky, you can get them to make a mean milkshake, though unless they know you, think you're cute, or really aren't busy, your more likely to just get a snarky "get real!" Don't ever go there thinking you will be in and out quickly, but it's the dive bar of breakfasts for me. A capital hill must in my opinion.

I like it because it's more genuine than alot of breakfast places around town. I like the tin ceilings, the old booths, the mismatched 80's coffee mugs, the counter, the regulars, the attitude, and the fact that it's open really early in the morning. I sometimes go there before eastern market opens on rainy sundays to read the paper.

Sure, the breakfasts aren't fancy. They aren't even on par with what I'd likely get if a friend invited me over for bacon and eggs.

But, I still love that place. One family friend we know was set up by the boys. . . and married the guy they set her up with.

I really wanted to like Jimmy T's, because I want to like all neighborhoody greasy spoons. But I wasn't very impressed in my one visit. My potatoes had an off-taste I couldn't put my finger on; portions were small; service was theoretical.

I'd rather hit Tunnicliff's.

I'd put Jimmy T's with the late Sherrill's, Market Lunch, and Pete's in the greasy spoon category. (After eating there a lot in the 80s, I've given up on Pete's. If it's improved in the past couple of years, I don't know because I stopped going there.) I'd hate to see those (remaining) places go away, because they're real institutions. I'm glad there are lines out the door for Jimmy T's because that keeps them in business. There are times that Jimmy T's gives me what I'm looking for (which is why I get pulled into going back and getting frustrated with the inconsistency).

Generally, I don't like getting food out that isn't as good as what I can make at home (accounting for the convenience factor). There's no place around now that I can find breakfast potatoes I really like, and potatoes are one of my favorite breakfast foods. The closest are the shredded potatoes on the buffet at Sizzling Express, which are sometimes just right and other times not.

I might give Pete's another try. I was in there this morning with a friend in need of an egg sandwich. It's had a makeover and looks a lot better than the last few times I tried eating there. I don't know exactly how appearance and quality of food correlate. They were doing a brisk business. She got a corned beef hash and egg sandwich to go. I'll check with her later about food quality. I used to like this place for breakfast in the 80s, so if it's having a revival, I'd be happy for it.

Hey guys - I'm new to the board, and I'm making my first post.

My roommate and I will be coming to D.C. this summer, and I was hoping to find a place for breakfast near the Open Flea Market on a Sunday. I was going to try Tunnicliff's, but they don't open till 10, and I wanted someplace that opened a little earlier, but was still close to the market, and cheap (we just graduated college you know!). :blink:

Any suggestions?

Jimmy T's on the corner of East Capitol and approximately 5th. (or maybe it is 4th or 6th, but right around there.) Greasy spoon joint with attitude.

Jimmy T's is swell and at 5th, though the attitude is much less after the former waiters left a year or so back. Still a great greasy spoon. Definitely go there over Tunni's or Bread & Chocolate.

Montmartre is the best brunch near the Market, though they don't open until 11:30 and are more mid-range pricing than cheap.

I've heard some good and bad things about Jimmy T's - I'd say I would definately go there, but I've also heard it gets REALLY crowded. How long will I have to expect to wait on Sunday at say, 9am?

Thank you all so much for the quick response also! You guys are good! :blink:

I've heard some good and bad things about Jimmy T's - I'd say I would definately go there, but I've also heard it gets REALLY crowded. How long will I have to expect to wait on Sunday at say, 9am?

I'd be surprised if they were crowded that early in the day. I've never had a problem anytime before 11.

Breakfast at Jimmy T's. The coffee was better than I recall. The toast was ok. The sausage omelet was pretty bad. My friend liked the waffle with blueberries and the sausage she ordered. It was not quite full when we arrived, and there was a line outside when we left.

ETA: We got there shortly after 9 today. There was a line by 10.

Breakfast at Jimmy T's. The coffee was better than I recall. The toast was ok. The sausage omelet was pretty bad. My friend liked the waffle with blueberries and the sausage she ordered. It was not quite full when we arrived, and there was a line outside when we left.

ETA: We got there shortly after 9 today. There was a line by 10.

I love Jimmy T's, even though the food is whatever. The space has character and characters have a space. It reminds me of Jersey. Now that my Bostonian dad moved to South Carolina from Jersey (you should hear his accent), he makes us go there because he misses Northern surliness.

I love Jimmy T's, even though the food is whatever. The space has character and characters have a space. It reminds me of Jersey. Now that my Bostonian dad moved to South Carolina from Jersey (you should hear his accent), he makes us go there because he misses Northern surliness.
I liked Sherrill's, but I've never been as fond of Jimmy T's. It's really the only place like it left. I wish DC, and especially the Hill, had good breakfast places. I don't go out for breakfast often, but there really isn't any great place to go for breakfast when I want it. There are places for coffee and places for brunch, but breakfast is lacking.

It was a bakery/diner on the 200 block of PA Ave., SE, about where the Ritz Camera is. I can't remember how many years it's been now since it closed.

ETA: This was a film made about it.

I think it's been closed a good 10 years, maybe a little less. I was more upset that the dry cleaner on the corner where the Starbucks is closed. They did some fine tailoring for me.