Shoebox Oven - "A Very Tiny Merry Bakery"

mame11

Get thee to the Arlington Farmer's Market to discover the delicious range of treats this little baker is serving. A brownie made with fancy chocolate and champagne was more than a delight. A blueberry muffin that was loaded with blueberries galore and tasted fresh four days after it was purchased could not be beat.

So get thee, thee donrockwellians to Arlington on Saturday morning for some wee little treats.

Shoebox Oven

It's time for us to put our money where out mouths are people. We have spent the past couple of weeks discussing independant, small time, local producers. In our discussions we have overlooked ShoeBox Oven. It is run and owned by our own ShoeboxOven. I met her today at the Arlington's Farmers Market while trying a few of her products. You will find her if you walk past the line of people waiting for berries and make a right at the second row of vendors.

Her treats are of a wider variety than NCPinDC let on. Many are different from what you typically see at our bakery stands and all looked decadent.

Today I bought summer herbs and catupiry flavored Pao de Queijos, which are about the size of a half dollar and vaguely resemble a biscuit. I was told that I should heat up an oven and pop these babies in for 5 minutes to allow them to warm up and the cheese to melt. It's 90 outside so instead I popped one in my mouth on the way home. These are going to be addictive, especially when warmed.

This being a bakery I felt obligated to try one of her sweets as well :unsure: I bought a package of blackberry flavored "FancyPants" financiers. They are individual sized tarts, except there is a lot of crust which resembled a cross between meringues and angle food cake.

She had about a half dozen other products available ranging from Carnival Corn, popcorn topped with chocolate, caramel, nuts, coconuts, etc. to lemonade and heirloom cakes made from recipes she inherited from her family. In addition she hopes set up a stand at the Clarendon market with gelato and I think the lemonade. Her selection made me wish I had a dinner party to go to tonight so I could bring her treats instead of the usual bottle of wine.

I had the pleasure of meeting Ms. Brown-aka ShoeboxOven-at her stand. While I talked with her and saw how much she appreciated each purchase and the marveling over the different samples, I wondered if she resembled Jill of Cheesetique or Michael at Ray's when they were just getting off the ground. All she wants to do is actually act upon that "what if I quit my day job and….." we all think about after long days at work. Ms. Brown is working to get to the point where she will have to quit her day job because her business has grown. First she needs time with a commercial oven. Then our support and maybe an offer or two to answer questions any first time business owner may have. The first request is out of my area of expertise but I don’t think the latter is too much to ask.

Glad you found it hillvalley... your description is spot on. I wrote my brief remarks while still under the ecstacy of the blueberry cake.

Today I arrived at the Courthouse Farmer's Market at 10:15 A.M. Shoebox was almost empty. I debated and debated... decided on a Vanilla Cake which I thought would be a great combination with the cherries and berries I purchased.

The smells released when I unwrapped the cake sent me back to my childhood filled with ladyfingers. The cake is incredibly moist and flavorful and the top crust is flaky.

Now, I have to go eat more.

It's time for us to put our money where out mouths are people. We have spent the past couple of weeks discussing independant, small time, local producers. In our discussions we have overlooked ShoeBox Oven. It is run and owned by our own ShoeboxOven. I met her today at the Arlington's Farmers Market while trying a few of her products. You will find her if you walk past the line of people waiting for berries and make a right at the second row of vendors.

Her treats are of a wider variety than NCPinDC let on. Many are different from what you typically see at our bakery stands and all looked decadent.

Today I bought summer herbs and catupiry flavored Pao de Queijos, which are about the size of a half dollar and vaguely resemble a biscuit. I was told that I should heat up an oven and pop these babies in for 5 minutes to allow them to warm up and the cheese to melt. It's 90 outside so instead I popped one in my mouth on the way home. These are going to be addictive, especially when warmed.

This being a bakery I felt obligated to try one of her sweets as well :unsure: I bought a package of blackberry flavored "FancyPants" financiers. They are individual sized tarts, except there is a lot of crust which resembled a cross between meringues and angle food cake.

She had about a half dozen other products available ranging from Carnival Corn, popcorn topped with chocolate, caramel, nuts, coconuts, etc. to lemonade and heirloom cakes made from recipes she inherited from her family. In addition she hopes set up a stand at the Clarendon market with gelato and I think the lemonade. Her selection made me wish I had a dinner party to go to tonight so I could bring her treats instead of the usual bottle of wine.

I had the pleasure of meeting Ms. Brown-aka ShoeboxOven-at her stand. While I talked with her and saw how much she appreciated each purchase and the marveling over the different samples, I wondered if she resembled Jill of Cheesetique or Michael at Ray's when they were just getting off the ground. All she wants to do is actually act upon that "what if I quit my day job and….." we all think about after long days at work. Ms. Brown is working to get to the point where she will have to quit her day job because her business has grown. First she needs time with a commercial oven. Then our support and maybe an offer or two to answer questions any first time business owner may have. The first request is out of my area of expertise but I don’t think the latter is too much to ask.

I am glad she doing well. I have been supporting since day one, and this morning there was a mob in her tent. I tried the Jaguar cake (Mocha Rum) today and it was excellent. Everything that I have tried seems to to be made with quality ingredients. She is not taking short cuts here. Pretty soon she is going to have lines like that fruit guy, that's when I will have to change my policy of not standing in line for food ;)

I'm trying to picture where Shoebox stands. How close is she to Landovel Farm sorbet, the holy grail of taste? There are two bakers there, no? One is closer to dairy, (non-dairy) sorbet, etc. and the other is over by rooty veggies (farest from Court House). I'll have to go and get some cookies or tarts to slather with ice cream next week.

She is in the shorter row that is parallel to the main stand with the berry guy and Tiogo. The stand is all the way at the end, near the road that runs along side the market. I don't know the stands you are talking about so I can't give you directions in relation to where they are. She is one of the only stands whose tent sides go all the way down.

I don't know the stands you are talking about so I can't give you directions in relation to where they are. She is one of the only stands whose tent sides go all the way down.

Perhaps ShoeBoxOven knows those stands, the sorbet one, etc. Anyway, I'm sure I've bought little oatmeal cookies or the like (little balls in a ziplock bag) that I gobbled up on the way home. I'll do my homework next time!

Meaghan, she is neither of those bakers (or the bread guy either) at Courthouse on Saturdays. The one who does the ziploc bags she is definitely not! If you think of the Courthouse layout as an L shape, there is a little strip that runs parallel to the foot of the L. Her stand is there along with the great spinach and other leafy greens vendor and a new cheese vendor that carrys decent but not squeky curds.

Unfortunately as DLB says, soon there will be a line or worse... we will descend like vultures the moment the market opens and force her to open at dawn. Horror.

By the way, this evening when I returned home I looked at horror as to how much of the vanilla bean cake I had consumed this afternoon. Oh dear. :unsure:

I was meeting a friend this evening for a midweek farmers' market in Clarendon. As I exited the stairs, what did I see but a wee little baker named Shoebox. Well... let me just say, I knew a treat or two was to be had.

Can you imagine... she has gelato now. Yes gelato. Very unique and delicious flavors. Fig & Kumquat was one flavor. Oh the the other two have slipped my mind. I need to take notes, but my tongue can tell you they are all delicious. She serves them in a cone or cup for $4 a serving. Please understand this wee baker does not skimp on ingredients or presentation. Yummmm

Oh and the homemade honey lemonade is something really special. She uses real honeycomb.

Edited to add: Please somebody stop me. I am the proud owner of some bombomCaramelo popcorn and I can't stop eating it. What is bombomCaramelo popcorn? Why it is carnaval popcorn, a real festival of flavors. First there is popcorn- full kernel deliciousness. Second there is coconut. Third high quality mixed nuts. Fourth caramel with the right fresh taste. AND finally there is chocolate. OH what a hedonistic treat... a big ol' bag for $4 is a mighty nice treat.

YUM

Last night I made the perfect summer dinner... Anna, take note:

The Prussians are flaky pastry layered with blue cheese and walnuts (at least the version I picked up on Wednesday). I was skeptical that I would like them because I am not a huge nut fan. I stuck some on a baking sheet lined with alumunium foil, I can't tell you really how long but they were nice and soft and warm when I took them out of the oven.

I served them with my favorite summer salad- cucumber, tomato & basil salad. It made for a perfect light summer meal.

These would be great with soup too.

We stop by every weekend that we're in town. Last Saturday, we brought home many, many cheesy poofs -- cheddar habenero are my favs, whilst Tripewriter prefers the spring herbs -- some brownies to feed my cravings, and an orange cake and a coconut cake. All very good, all gone before lunch on Sunday. Contented sighs all around! Plus, we heated the cheesy poofs on a grill on a bed of tin foil -- perfect!

We'll be back next weekend and then, alas, it's back to being out of town!

Last Saturday, we brought home many, many cheesy poofs -- cheddar habenero are my favs, whilst Tripewriter prefers the spring herbs --
We also bought the spring herb ones, while I loved the flavor, at least when I was finally able to swallow it, I found them to be quite dry. My wife and I we were wondering if they should have been warmed first.

We also bought the spring herb ones, while I loved the flavor, at least when I was finally able to swallow it, I found them to be quite dry. My wife and I we were wondering if they should have been warmed first.

Yes, you need to warm them in the oven. She should think about putting this information on the bags. Next time try the shortcakes or the brownies. I was not a fan of the cheese puffs....everything else is very good.

Oh such a good suggestion the labeling thing. Good catch all... I tell you I love those Prussians but they wouldn't be as tasty not heated.

What I want to try at some point are the sweet Prussians with sorbet... yes that will have to be next.

OK, yesterday I heated them at 350 for about 15 minutes in foil, they needed more time. They were still a little doughy, and the cheese was rubbery. I will try a longer time, and out of the foil. Again, the taste was fantastic, the texture was not.

She told us that we should reheat them at 350 for 20-26 minutes. Last night, we had something else cooking at around 400, so we popped them in for 12 minutes, and they were gooey and perfect :unsure:
She really needs to put that on the label. I will try them again tonight.

I stopped by her stand at Arlington this morning but didn't get there until 10:15 or so. It looked like much of the good stuff had been snapped up!

I bought the champagne brownie; and two of the savory things that I can't remember the name of because they are in the other room.

Haven't tried anything yet but I look forward to soon!

Jennifer

Hi,

We've since added "best eaten warm" label on all the pao de queijos and the prussians. Thank you NCPinDC and HillValley for coming by the market and letting me know about this concern.

Ideally, I'd serve the pao de quiejos and the prussians warm. That is how they are traditionally eaten--warm. But right now we have to adjust to the conditions of an an open air market. We make it a point to let everyone know to heat up the pao de queijos and the prussians. So I hope the additional labeling will help too. Thank you guys for the feedback.

It is VERY helpful.

The pao de queijos and the prussians are baked the (early) morning of the market. So they are fresh and you can eat them at room temperature. But as some of you expressed, and as I prefer, heating them up only makes them better.

Here is how I heat them up:

Baking the pao de queijos and prussians:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place pastries on a baking sheet and place in middle of oven and bake for at least 5 minutes. (I line my baking sheets, because I dont like cleaning up after the melted cheese). Five minutes is the very minimum. Depending on how gooey you want your cheese and how brown you want your dough you may want to bake them for another 5 to 10 minutes.

If you are not planning to eat the pao de queijos or prussians immediately, then freeze them. When you are ready to eat, pop them in the oven as described above.

Please let me know if this helps.

Damn. This stuff is good.

The cheddar prussians were part of dinner tonight. 15-20 minutes at 350 and they were crispy, salty, tasty and just wonderful. (I'm afraid to ask the nutritional information on them...)

Last night we tried the pao de quiejos but only heated them for 5 minutes. Good but I'll heat them up longer next time.

The chocoalte champagne brownie is damn fine too.

Urp...

Jennifer

Damn. This stuff is good.

The cheddar prussians were part of dinner tonight. 15-20 minutes at 350 and they were crispy, salty, tasty and just wonderful. (I'm afraid to ask the nutritional information on them...)

Last night we tried the pao de quiejos but only heated them for 5 minutes. Good but I'll heat them up longer next time.

The chocoalte champagne brownie is damn fine too.

Urp...

Jennifer

You are making me hungry. Typically, I don't leave the city on weekends, but considering these descriptions. I will make an exception. But sounds like you have to get their early to get any of the good stuff. uuugh! The sacrifices you have to make for the love of food.

Several new options at Shoebox Oven yesterday. Tried the vanilla and berry cake with a boatload of blackberries from Westmoreland Berry Farm and some whipped cream. Mr. BLB didn't even notice that he ate at least two servings of blackberries to get to the yummy cake.

Waiting to be consumed--a peach ginger pie and shortbread cakes (with more berries...)

Jennifer

Several new options at Shoebox Oven yesterday. Tried the vanilla and berry cake with a boatload of blackberries from Westmoreland Berry Farm and some whipped cream. Mr. BLB didn't even notice that he ate at least two servings of blackberries to get to the yummy cake.

Waiting to be consumed--a peach ginger pie and shortbread cakes (with more berries...)

Jennifer

Okay, I'll report too. I purchased some of the shortbread cakes too. They are like sweet biscuits or flaky scones depending on your background :-). I heated mine in the oven until they were warm. I served them with chopped strawberries to accompany farm fresh scrambled eggs. They are really good.

I also purchased the molasses spice cookies. I generally neither like molasses nor spice cookies. I tasted these at the ShoeBox Oven stand and was blown away. I put back the brownie I intended to buy and purchased a bag of the molasses cookies. The cookies are chewy yet crisp, and the flavor is reminiscent of old fashioned gingerbread cookies. I am halfway through my purchase and regret not buying more.

Oh, truth in advertising, I also bought a hazelnut banana muffin. Um, delicious but a bit "greasy" from the Nutella. Not to worry, I'll finish it soon. I'd like to see a more traditional chocolate banana muffin.

Waiting to be consumed: A peach/ginger/vanilla bean pie and popcorn. (gifts for lucky recipients)

The pao de queijos and the prussians are baked the (early) morning of the market. So they are fresh and you can eat them at room temperature. But as some of you expressed, and as I prefer, heating them up only makes them better.

Here is how I heat them up:

Baking the pao de queijos and prussians:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place pastries on a baking sheet and place in middle of oven and bake for at least 5 minutes. (I line my baking sheets, because I dont like cleaning up after the melted cheese). Five minutes is the very minimum. Depending on how gooey you want your cheese and how brown you want your dough you may want to bake them for another 5 to 10 minutes.

If you are not planning to eat the pao de queijos or prussians immediately, then freeze them. When you are ready to eat, pop them in the oven as described above.

Please let me know if this helps.

Came by on Saturday and Mr. Shoebox was interviewing me about where I heard about you guys "DonRocks.com" I said proudly, then proceeded to buy the last of the Amuse Bouche: Apricot Tarts which my other chefly-half popped in the nuker for 30secs and proceeded to wolf down and a bag of the Pao de Queijos: Habanero & Cheddar - gord lordie those things are good..I ate them all up before I could make to the oven. Will definitely have to come back on Saturday - earlier this time. I finally figured out what those little tidbits (can't remember the name) with the rum in them that you let us sample reminded me of - back home we have a holiday cake, not your traditional fruit cake...our's is a rum cake but the recipe is from way back in Colonial time...it reminded me of that but tasted way better - you'll have to tell me exactly how you did them...thank you for being around - can't wait to try more stuff next weekend

man! that bombomCarmelo sounds good. Any updates on possible retail space or visits to other farmer's markets??

Cheesetique carries some ShoeBox Oven pastries and goodies. Since the farmer's markets are slowing down for the cooler months, ShoeBox Oven is looking to expand into other boutiques like Cheesetique. Hopefully next year more farmer's markets will consider ShoeBox Oven. So far the Del Ray market has invited us to their 2007 market. And We will be at the Arlington market for as long as they will have us.

We collected a selection of goodies from ShoeBoxOven today -- yum!!! The recipe for the cheesy poofs seems to have been revised, and they are fantastic. They are lighter and, well, poofier, and when you heat them, there's lots of oozy cheese in the middle. Better than ever.

We also have some of the molassas cookies. We've had them before, in a different incarnation, when they were flatter and chewier. This incarnation is "fluffier" and crispier -- both versions were lovely, and I'm not sure I have a favorite.

We have some Amor and the Samuri for later (mmmm...these are so good, we've asked Krishna to provide us with them for our wedding guests! Hooray!).

Finally, we lucked into some champagne chocolate...cupcakes! Yes, they had "extra" brownie batter (is there really ever such a thing?) and made cupcake-sized cakes. Oof! But yum :)

Loved the new blue-and-white van, too -- snazzy! :)

This morning I arrived at the Arlington Farmer's Market at 8:20. There was a throng of people at the Shoebox stand. Certain items were already quite diminished (only one brownie and one bag of he habanero Paos were left). It was fabulous to see fans scooping up the goodies.

For the past few weeks, the Shoebox Baker has been offering pastries meant to be eaten while shopping the market or over a cup of coffee after you leave. The fig pastry is AMAZING. The pastry is delicate and not too sweet. The fig filling is, well, figgy.

I didn't get there until about 0920 and the Shoebox was almost empty. Out of brownies, cookies and (sniff) Amor and the Samurai.

Next Saturday (Oct 7th), she'll be at the Art on the Avenue street fest in Del Ray/Alexandra instead of Arlington.

Does anyone have good wine pairing suggestions for the Gorgonzola/Candied Walnut Prussians?

Next Saturday (Oct 7th), she'll be at the Art on the Avenue street fest in Del Ray/Alexandra instead of Arlington.

Does anyone have good wine pairing suggestions for the Gorgonzola/Candied Walnut Prussians?

Just to clarify (and so you don't go hunting for ShoeBox up and down the Avenue), Krishna and her goodies will be set up inside Cheesetique (2403 Mt. Vernon Ave.). The shop is right in the middle of the show, so you won't miss a thing! We're really excited to have ShoeBox on-site this year! 10 AM - 6 PM.

I didn't get there until about 0920 and the Shoebox was almost empty. Out of brownies, cookies and (sniff) Amor and the Samurai.

Of course.... :)

I have to be in DC between 8:30 am and 9 am on Saturday morning. If I'm getting up that early, I might as well be at Arlington right at 8 since I haven't been to a decent market since the move.

Why bother if there will be no goodies from Shoebox????

Sigh...

Just to clarify (and so you don't go hunting for ShoeBox up and down the Avenue), Krishna and her goodies will be set up inside Cheesetique (2403 Mt. Vernon Ave.). The shop is right in the middle of the show, so you won't miss a thing! We're really excited to have ShoeBox on-site this year! 10 AM - 6 PM.
Hi!

We will actually be at Cheesetique and have a stand on Mt Vernon.

At Cheesetique we will be doing samples of the paos and the champagne chocolate.

And we will have a stand on Mt. Vernon (corner of Windsor Ave and Mt Vernon Ave) serving up all types of pastries and savories...including Amor and the Samurai hot chocolate and Heirloom Pies.

The Heirloom Pies had been on hiatus because of the humid hot weather and its affect on the meringue. But the big top, buxom pie is back and it is sure to please.

I have to be in DC between 8:30 am and 9 am on Saturday morning. If I'm getting up that early, I might as well be at Arlington right at 8 since I haven't been to a decent market since the move.

Why bother if there will be no goodies from Shoebox????

bookluvingbabe, we will be at Art on the Avenue all day (10am to 6pm) with PLENTY to select from. We hope to see you there.

Hi!

We will actually be at Cheesetique and have a stand on Mt Vernon.

At Cheesetique we will be doing samples of the paos and the champagne chocolate.

And we will have a stand on Mt. Vernon (corner of Windsor Ave and Mt Vernon Ave) serving up all types of pastries and savories...including Amor and the Samurai hot chocolate and Heirloom Pies.

The Heirloom Pies had been on hiatus because of the humid hot weather and its affect on the meringue. But the big top, buxom pie is back and it is sure to please.

bookluvingbabe, we will be at Art on the Avenue all day (10am to 6pm) with PLENTY to select from. We hope to see you there.

Thanks but I'm afraid I'll be in a meeting until 5 and I KNOW you'll run out of stuff before 6.

Just have to get my ass in gear to get up early another Saturday morning. :)

Jennifer

At Arts on the Avenue this Saturday, I picked up some prussians at the stand and at Cheestique, picked up some pao de queijos and the cutest cupcake--it was topped with cotton candy! I had planned to take a picture, to capture its cuteness, but started eating it before I even walked out of Cheestique. It was delish--the white/yellow (vanilla, I assume) cake was moist and not overly sweet, which makes it a perfect pairing with the cotton candy.

I heated up the paos and the prussians and served it to hungry houseguests for breakfast the next morning and they were so tasty. I especially liked the chevre pao de queijos.

Now I just have to get up earlier on Saturdays and make it to the farmers market early!

If I had had a mother who baked cupcakes I like to imagine that they would be exactly like the one I had today from SBO.

Vanilla cupcake, vanilla frosting, and cotton candy. It tasted exactly what I have always imagined a cupcake should taste like. An individual bite of each component is excellent, a bite of all three together take cupcakes to a whole new level. Each is sweet, but not too sweet. Just enough frosting to keep the cotton candy attached to the cupcake and still stake it's claim in the threesome, but not too much to take over. The cotton candy is a trick many should copy but few probably will. And the cake. The cake. Sweet, moist, vanilla, just a bit crumbly.

One bite will bring back the four year old in you, as any good cupcake should.

If I had had a mother who baked cupcakes I like to imagine that they would be exactly like the one I had today from SBO.

Vanilla cupcake, vanilla frosting, and cotton candy. It tasted exactly what I have always imagined a cupcake should taste like. An individual bite of each component is excellent, a bite of all three together take cupcakes to a whole new level. Each is sweet, but not too sweet. Just enough frosting to keep the cotton candy attached to the cupcake and still stake it's claim in the threesome, but not too much to take over. The cotton candy is a trick many should copy but few probably will. And the cake. The cake. Sweet, moist, vanilla, just a bit crumbly.

One bite will bring back the four year old in you, as any good cupcake should.

I knew I should have set the alarm this morning.

Note to self: Set alarm next Saturday and get your ass over there...

Last Saturday I bought two boxes of "Amor and the Samurai" from Shoebox at the Courthouse market. My first visit to Shoebox. These are cakes made with Mexican chocolate and Japanese chilis. Outrageously good. I served them with a side of Dolcezza gelato, coconut and dulce de leche flavor. Outrageously good cubed.

Sadly, there was no sign of Shoebox at Courthouse this morning. :) The no-show is worse because I was talking up her baked goods to people all week and I don't know if there are others who are going to go today. :)

Last Saturday I bought two boxes of "Amor and the Samurai" from Shoebox at the Courthouse market. My first visit to Shoebox. These are cakes made with Mexican chocolate and Japanese chilis. Outrageously good. I served them with a side of Dolcezza gelato, coconut and dulce de leche flavor. Outrageously good cubed.

Sadly, there was no sign of Shoebox at Courthouse this morning. :) The no-show is worse because I was talking up her baked goods to people all week and I don't know if there are others who are going to go today. :)

I am so sorry I missed you and your friends Saturday. I sent out an email blast to let everyone know I'd be at Clarendon Day. We were invited at the last minute and had to rearrange our schedule to miss the farmer's market so to attend Clarendon Day. We will be back at the farmer's market next week.