Roasted Cherry Tomatoes

mame11

One of my favorite salads is a spinach salad garnished with roasted cherry tomatoes that the Grove Grill serves in Memphis. I bought a bunch of little tomatoes at the farmers market Saturday. I thought I would roast some up tonight to go with the stuff I know I'll get at Clarendon in a wee bit...

I know I have checked my favorite cookbook for tips to roast the little tomatoes in the past to no avail, so I thought I would post to the collective wisdom of DR.com I figure there is salt and high temp, but not sure if it is high temp fast or low temp long...

Thanks in advance...

If you have the time, I recommend a very slow oven, long roasting time, cut side down on very slick baking sheet, coated with olive oil.

The advantage of the slow oven (200 F) is that the tomatoes are more apt to stay intact without spewing out their guts and getting gooey. There's no labor involved once you've cut them in half and dotted the sheet with them.

In a pinch, quick roasting will work fine. If they are too liquid, and you have patience, turn them over with tongs (or stoic fingertips) and let them dry up a bit in the oven, bellies exposed.

I've even put them in a pre-heated wok if I am only doing a few for myself. Toss about. Done in a minute.

I will do the slow method. Why? Because I picked up some asparagus that I will use tonight and save the tomatoes to eat tomorrow.

Yum. I love this time of year!

Thanks...

Barbara... that recipe looks great.

So it was over 2 hours at 200 degrees to get what I was after. However, my stove is not so great.

What did I do with the roasted tomatoes? I sliced up some cucumbers and shredded some basil, threw in the roasted tomatoes added some freshly ground pepper and sea salt. Voila an update to my favorite summer salad.

Roasting was great for this batch of cherry tomatoes as they were not quite as sweet as I had hoped. Thank you Anna and Barbara!

Since pretty decent grape tomatoes were on sale at Safeway this past weekend ($1 a pint, $4 at WF for a brand they carry too), your thread was a source of inspiration. I roasted mine a little longer, still. It depends on what you want. I agree, it's a good way to compensate for ones not quite up to par with the tomatoes that will appear in mid July at the market.

Great tossed in pasta with tender small leaves of arugula if you can get it, bacon and cubes of mozzarella small enough to melt in a heated bowl while the strands are still hot.

I used mine to make a BLA(avocado)T and plan on finishing them in warm tortillas, salads, etc.

I will do the slow method. Why? Because I picked up some asparagus that I will use tonight and save the tomatoes to eat tomorrow.

Yum. I love this time of year!

Thanks...

Barbara... that recipe looks great.

Adding a bit of sugar to the water before you steam asparagus is a neat little trick that many Germans do when they cook spargel.