Sabayon

And can someone please explain the difference between a souffle and a sabayon?

Sabayon is an emulsification in which the yolks are cooked to a frothy volume and then anything from passion fruit juice to pubic hairs are incorporated. Like a loosey goosey hollandaise/mayo.

Souflee is expanding air molecules of whipped egg whites slowly (or the molecules is busted) folded into a mixture, as articulated by the Charles law (French scientist and balloonist J.A.C. Charles): If a “Hope That Rash Goes Away” balloon is inflated, air takes up more space, and the HTRGA balloon expands or get bigger. I just ignore rashes and hope they go away.

Heat caused the gas bubbles (heh-heh) in the egg white thingy to vaporize into steam and the whathaveyou has no other choice but to expand upwards. However, whatever expands must contract. The higher the cooking temperature, the quicker the fall...like meth parties. Sweet souflee molds are coated with butter, flour and sugar -some may argue the crystalized sugar acts like sandpaper and keeps the souflee from falling so quickly. For savory, breadcrumbs or cheese does the same thing. Smaller souflees should be baked in a water bath to keep them from throwing up out of their molds.

400F/200C is the best temperature to bake at. Anything less and you get a porcini top, though that might not be bad for a porcini souflee..

Needless to say, the French shouldn’t inflate their world cup hopes as I fear Brazil will be scoring in a conga line.

Allez les Bleus... ne chiez pas dans la glue.

Sabayon is an emulsification in which the yolks are cooked to a frothy volume and then anything from passion fruit juice to pubic hairs are incorporated. Like a loosey goosey hollandaise/mayo.

Souflee is expanding air molecules of whipped egg whites slowly (or the molecules is busted) folded into a mixture, as articulated by the Charles law (French scientist and balloonist J.A.C. Charles): If a “Hope That Rash Goes Away” balloon is inflated, air takes up more space, and the HTRGA balloon expands or get bigger. I just ignore rashes and hope they go away.

Heat caused the gas bubbles (heh-heh) in the egg white thingy to vaporize into steam and the whathaveyou has no other choice but to expand upwards. However, whatever expands must contract. The higher the cooking temperature, the quicker the fall...like meth parties. Sweet souflee molds are coated with butter, flour and sugar -some may argue the crystalized sugar acts like sandpaper and keeps the souflee from falling so quickly. For savory, breadcrumbs or cheese does the same thing. Smaller souflees should be baked in a water bath to keep them from throwing up out of their molds.

400F/200C is the best temperature to bake at. Anything less and you get a porcini top, though that might not be bad for a porcini souflee..

Needless to say, the French shouldn’t inflate their world cup hopes as I fear Brazil will be scoring in a conga line.

Allez les Bleus... ne chiez pas dans la glue.

So, you wanna explain cold, unbaked souffles in your inimitable style, please? (And, if Brazil makes it to the finals the place to watch and be is the Grill from Ipanema on Columbia Road. Just make sure to wear your Brazilian team jersey. Everybody else will.)

So, you wanna explain cold, unbaked souffles
The cold unbaked souffle is not a souffle. It is merely an clever illusion; much like when I wear my pants just above my flawless navel at discotheques I look older and therefore wiser and confidently balder. The confectionary deception involves placing a silicone or lubricated parchment ring around the dish rising to the desired height and fastening it with a paperclip or your remarkable origami skillz. If the thickness of the ramekin doesn’t make for convincing duplicity, you might have to engineer an acetate strip that will fit just below the lip of the container as the filling is poured. The mold can then be filled with just about anything edible and then frozen if it runs at room temperature. Panna cotta style custards can make a suitable base but will need the acetate due to its weight. Rainbow sherbet, or any other varieties of your favorite frozen puddings can used as a base, then topped with whipped cream and garnished with nuts or minuscule gold flake carousel horses if you really want to razzle-dazzle your friends. Sweetened whipped egg whites can be baked in a pan and cut to fit the diameter of the fraudulent aureole. If your souffle cookery is in the wilderness or clashes with any dietary/technology laws of the Sabbath (fish gelatin will make panna cotta kosher for Tzom Gedaliah) , you can poach the eggs whites in milk and carefully sculpt them to fit your contraffatto Pieta gastronomico.

Ok, since someone started a thread I will ask...does anyone have a recipe for sabayon? We had a guiness (although I think that night it was a different beer) sabayon at Restraurant Eve that was to die for. It was perfect paired with the salty cheese that we dipped in the sabayon. The perfect sweet/salty snack. :)

Thanks!

One thing that may help you find a recipe is if you spell it the proper way instead of the phoneticized way--zabaglione (yes, I'm well aware everybody spells it sabayon--that doesn't de facto make that spelling correct and I know I'm being pedantic).

Marcella Hazan (in one of the Classic Italian Cooking books? Can't remember for sure) has a recipe for this. If you learn the 'classic' recipe (which includes marsala as the flavoring), and are a reasonable cook, you could probably intuit your way to a recipe for something similar to what you had at Eve. You could also consider just asking them if they'll give you their recipe.

In culinary school, we were taught that sabayon was the French spelling and zabaglione was the Italian spelling. I didn't realize one was more correct than the other.

To Paula: since I don't have my book with me, I don't have the classic recipe. I'm sure a google search or a quick look on Epicurious (using either spelling) will turn up some recipes for you.

One idea that I got from a great Argentine gelato place near me is to run the sabayon through your ice cream maker to make gelato. In my opinion the best flavor ever.

One thing that may help you find a recipe is if you spell it the proper way instead of the phoneticized way--zabaglione (yes, I'm well aware everybody spells it sabayon--that doesn't de facto make that spelling correct and I know I'm being pedantic).
Sabayon is the universally accepted French equivalent to the Zabaglione, much like ignorante is the Italian equivalent of both ignorant and ignorant in American English and European French respectively, and since neither is originally an english word I am sure that in the global modern age of VCR's, surly foreign language handbooks and the intertron (which I told Al Gore to invent) either a Kogel mogel (Polish), sabayoni (Sardinian), zabaioni (Sicilian) or even Ovopunlo (Esperanto) are acceptable regional spellings of the heat-stabalized foam. Whereas the Italians are credited with inventing the thing, the French, naturally, perfected it.

For the sabayon, egg yolks are beaten with a small amount of fruit juice/puree or wine or flavorful broth over a double boiler until the volume has doubled and the eggs have emulsified the liquid. An intraweb inquiry of either sabayon or zabaglione will reveal a wealth of recipes from which you can noodle with to make your own.

Thanks everyone. I knew zabaglione was italian and should have guessed sabayon was the french version.

I've made a semifreddo which sounds similar in preparation but uses cream instead of fruit juice or wine. I am looking forward to experimenting!

Erin - Thanks for the tip about putting it through an ice cream maker. We're huge ice cream fans and my +1 has been making a bunch this summer.

I was taught an easy to remember ratio for Sabayon -- 8 (oz) liquid: 8 (oz sugar): 8 yolks.

Roughly 1 cup: 1 cup: 8 yolks whisked like crazy over a double boiler.

I always whisk until I've worn out my dominant arm, switched to whisking with my weaker arm, and then back. For me, it feels like 15 minutes of whisking, but it's probably closer to 8 minutes (although maybe I just think 8 when it comes to sabayon.) You'll know your sabayon is done when you can see the bottom of your bowl in the trails of your whisk.

I'm sure everyone has their own recipe, but this one has always worked for me.

I generally fold in some unsweetened whipped cream (about 1 1/2 cups) to the cooled sabayon to make a nice thick cushion of sauce.