Cookbook As Traveling Companion

Mrs. B

I am not an off the cuff cooker for the most part, much to my dismay. I let Waitman do that kind of stuff and he does it well. I do very well, however with a bit of inspiration from a cookbook and a lovely market. We are traveling in the south of France in the next few weeks and I would like to bring a cookbook to give me the added courage to try and tackle unusual fish and such not available here in DC. I am tossing around the idea of bringing either Roger Verge's "Cuisine of the Sun" or Richard Olney's "Lulu's Provencal Table."

Does anyone have any other suggestions that might be available in print or in a used bookstore? Or further am I misguided entirely and should I lug Julia MAFC? I'd consider bringing along P. Wells slow cooking masterpiece but I don't have the time :unsure:

Regardless of the cookbook I am sincerely jealous of your trip and where you are going. I will toast you with a cheap bordeaux a number of times knowing that cheap bordeaux tastes much better in Provence than it does in Reston...

Mrs. B:

Might I suggest Colman Andrews' book if it's available around town? I like the idea of bringing Lulu, though that's kind of a heavy book in hardcover with thick paper. Do you have the small spiral-bound Time-Life book on Provincial France by MFK Fisher? Or a PB copy of Elizabeth David's book on the same subject?

(Have a great trip! Your husband's recollection of daughter smelling French melons was sweet.)

Mrs. B:

Might I suggest Colman Andrews' book if it's available around town? I like the idea of bringing Lulu, though that's kind of a heavy book in hardcover with thick paper. Do you have the small spiral-bound Time-Life book on Provincial France by MFK Fisher? Or a PB copy of Elizabeth David's book on the same subject?

(Have a great trip! Your husband's recollection of daughter smelling French melons was sweet.)

Thanks Anna, I have the hard cover Time-Life book not the spiral bound but I will look for it as well as the David book in the used bookstore. I will also keep an eye out for Colman's book, I am not familiar with his work.

Colman Andrews is the Editor-in-Chief of Sauveur Magazine, and is a legendary hedonist. He used to write for the Los Angele Times, back when they had a great food section, and if you have read Ruth Reichl's memoirs, you may recall that when Ruth first moved to Los Angeles from Northern California, Colman Andrews was the one who introduced her to various pleasures that contributed to the dissolution of her first marriage...

One of my favorite books in the genre that you are exploring, is _Simple French Food_ by Richard Olney. He says in the intro that it discusses food from all parts of France, but that he can't help it if Provence dominates, since that is where he lives and where his culinary heart resides, so to speak. Richard is no longer with us, and the book may be out of print. I have it in paperback. But if you are searching for out of print books online, and come across that one, it is definitely worth owning, and may just do the trick in terms of your trip.